Snowblower Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

Premium Member
i live about an hour and a half to two hours north of toronto,

generally speaking, our snow storms are 6-8 inches or less, im home most of the time, so i normally get out and plow it quickly,

but last winter we had a few storms where we got a foot or more overnight, and at that depth my current 5HP was basically useless, i would have to go on the slowest speed which might have paced me at 6-8 feet per minute, its too frusterating going that slow, id be faster shovelling.....if i go on a higher speed i could only cut maybe 3-4 inches of snow or else the engine would bog down, and i would have to stop, to let the engine come back up to speed,

i want something that can handle a foot or more of snow going at a reasonable speed, and not a snails pace,
I would think based on you being in the snow belt and looking for a machine that won't bog down in deeper snow that you may not be happy with the 208cc engine. I would recommend at minimum the 254 cc -7.5 HP unit. 8/24 is a common ratio for snowblowers.
The bigger the better馃槇.

If you find a deal on a Honda or Yamaha, 6HP will be fine.

CC to HP conversion chart for Ariens AX engines
Displacement / HP / Torque
136cc 4.0hp 7.5 lbs/ft
208cc 6.50hp 9.5 lbs/ft
254cc 7.50hp 12.5 lbs/ft
291cc 8.50hp 14.5 lbs/ft
306cc 9.0hp 15.0 lbs/ft
369cc 10.0hp 17.0 lbs/ft
414cc 12.5hp 20.0 lbs/ft

Good luck with your search

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
I would think based on you being in the snow belt and looking for a machine that won't bog down in deeper snow that you may not be happy with the 208cc engine.
yes, im starting to think that also,

thanks for the chart, that is helpful

i think i want at least an 8-10HP

Premium Member
I found this, if you want the ultimate.
over 30 years old and many parts are NLA. I love mine which is basically good for only smaller areas like my deck but I also have a couple parts machines in case it breaks down.

same thing with the Honda's HS50-70 and 80 ( which is 8 horse ). critical parts are NLA

A very popular Honda that I have no trouble selling is the HS724. Great DoubleDuty snowblower. Good enough for driveways and berms but lighter with a 24 inch bucket for smaller areas. it's about 60 pounds lighter than the HS828 and HS928.

here is a HS724 .with the OP mechanical background he can pick up a good one for around $400-800 around here in summer, service it, and be done with for several years.
20200429_122555_resized (1).jpg

Registered
over 30 years old and many parts are NLA. I love mine which is basically good for only smaller areas like my deck but I also have a couple parts machines in case it breaks down.

same thing with the Honda's HS50-70 and 80 ( which is 8 horse ). critical parts are NLA

A very popular Honda that I have no trouble selling is the HS724. Great DoubleDuty snowblower. Good enough for driveways and berms but lighter with a 24 inch bucket for smaller areas. it's about 60 pounds lighter than the HS828 and HS928.

here is a HS724 .with the OP mechanical background he can pick up a good one for around $400-800 around here in summer, service it, and be done with for several years. View attachment 167368
So the HS55 is wildly overpriced? I myself took a second look just now and it is a tiny Honda, isn't it. I could use a tiny Honda as I have recently fallen into the Honda Harmony lawnmower and FG-100 rototiller clubs. I can sell my Ariens and get the Honda for a reasonable price after I talk sense to the seller. So I ask the experts: What is that HS55 reasonably worth?

Premium Member
So the HS55 is wildly overpriced? I myself took a second look just now and it is a tiny Honda, isn't it. I could use a tiny Honda as I have recently fallen into the Honda Harmony lawnmower and FG-100 rototiller clubs. I can sell my Ariens and get the Honda for a reasonable price after I talk sense to the seller. So I ask the experts: What is that HS55 reasonably worth?
where is this? Vermont? we are at Lake Tahoe. This time of year it's about 200-300. during winter 400-500 ( here) vermont may have a different market for Honda's.

Premium Member
Here is another Yammy, much better price if it runs well.

Premium Member
21 - 29 of 29 Posts