Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JUST JOINED TODAY AND TRYING TO FIND MY WAY AROUND...
PURCHASED MY FIRST SNOWBLOWER (ARIENS 24" 920027) SHOULD BE DELIVERED B4 THE SNOW's ARRIVAL!
HAVE ON OCCASION USED A PU AND PLOW IN THE PAST... HAVE NEVER BEEN AROUND A SNOWBLOWER...

AM WONDERING WHAT EVERYONE HAS HAD THE BEST LUCK WITH
WHAT NONSTICK SPRAY
TO AVOID SNOW CLOGGING IN CHUTE AND BUILD UP ON THE AUGER?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
:welcome: aboard! It must be beautiful there, Bob Seger country.

Congrats that is a nice new machine, you will be happy with it.
I have yet to use anything on my current machine, possibly because it has a painted steel chute that is still in good condition. Though I have had minor issues with late season heavy wet snow not flowing through as well which is to be expected. I seemed to have more of a need to do something on my mid '90's MTD polymer chute. I used to use silicone spray on that once a year and it worked very well. Fluid Film would be another option but a more costly one. I have heard that anti-stick cooking spray is a much more cost-effective remedy that is said to work very well.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
No spray lubricant stays effective for long. Your best off using a spray like fluid film at the end of the season to prevent corrosion on non painted parts, and seal the painted stuff.

Adds a nice shine too. :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
I waxed/buffed mine with car wax. It's my first year with a snowblower so I have no idea how many uses I'll get out of one coating until it wears off.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I use Fluid Film on everything that is in direct contact with snow-in a pinch I use WD-40 but it needs to be reapplied more often.

You can spray the fluid film in several coats to coat the interior of the snow blower being the cross augers, the cross auger housing and the impeller and impeller housing and the chute and spout.

Making several coats of fluid film will let you apply it and then let it dry completely and then apply the second coat and let it dry and then the third coating and then you can always spray the impeller, impeller housing, the snow blower chute and spout as you work as they will have the most friction.

You can always just spray the chute and spout as you work as you will know when the snow blower will have difficulty and begin to plug.

The big tall cans of no stick spray from wally mart and the others are goods too but you need to coat it as you work as it does not stay as well as Fluid Film.

You would be well off getting a gallon of Fluid Film and a hand sprayer and you can dilute it in a fifty fifty mix and you will not have clogging problems.

Some of the folks use car wax on the chute and spout too so it depends on how much time you have I guess.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
snow blower help

I waxed/buffed mine with car wax. It's my first year with a snowblower so I have no idea how many uses I'll get out of one coating until it wears off.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Paulie139,

Was your doggy possessive of the new snow blower and hold it for a ransom of milk bones before he let you wax it??:grin:

·
Registered
271 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Paulie139,

Was your doggy possessive of the new snow blower and hold it for a ransom of milk bones before he let you wax it??:grin:

LMAO - milk bones? No. It took an old Pirelli 245/45Z-R20 to lure him away.

·
Registered
271 Posts
What do I use? Absolutely nothing..
I tried a few things the first winter I had my snowblower, 9 years ago, and quickly realized that for me it was pointless and unnecessary..snowblower works fine without it.

You mean to tell us, Scot, that you send your snowblower out there...naked and unprotected?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I am a bad boy been dealing with snow blowers since 1981 and I have never used a spray of any kind, and can not see me changing. Using 2 blowers and no issues with the Husky or my Toro in the last 3 winters.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I sprayed my entire mower with Fluid Film to see if it repels mice hoping they wont loiter on something that's wet and gooey. FF seems the perfect app for this.

But how long can FF or any other spray-on product survive in the abrasive atmosphere of an impeller housing and chute when even the paint itself can't take the punishment?

Installing slippery Teflon or SS linings are the only true solution, IMO

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
:welcome: to SBF hootchiesmom

I guess it must depend on where you're at and the temps you encounter. I've never had a problem so I can't recommend anything because I've never seen the need to use anything. The impeller mod is nice for slush, that's one I do.

Please take the caps lock off. It's hard on the eyes :crying:

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Ya anything you put only lasts minutes prob. No spray is needed in my opinion. Have tried it in the past but works just fine without it. Save your $$.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
If I did not use fluid film on the JD junk I would want to get rid of it even more. My beautiful Toro snow pups would not work very well at all with the amount of salt the State of New York uses to make ice dams on my road.

The unwritten rule for those people is bare wet roads at "speed" and all I have to say to that is you NYSDOT certainly have wasted many billions of tax dollars on rock salt when it was not needed, BAHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
842 Posts
What do I use? Absolutely nothing..
I tried a few things the first winter I had my snowblower, 9 years ago, and quickly realized that for me it was pointless and unnecessary..snowblower works fine without it.

Scot
your correct scot i'ts simply unnecessary!
30 years on 1 machine, 20 on another, never had to coat either with anything, and now with the newer ploy chutes like on my new toro 928ohxe i doubt there will any issue either. if it's wet slow down the ground speed let the machine clear it self

with wet snow that's mother nature! people need to learn to simply deal with her. NO ONE will ever win any fight against her forces, only thing we can do is deal with it.

·
Registered
842 Posts
If I did not use fluid film on the JD junk I would want to get rid of it even more. My beautiful Toro snow pups would not work very well at all with the amount of salt the State of New York uses to make ice dams on my road.

The unwritten rule for those people is bare wet roads at "speed" and all I have to say to that is you NYSDOT certainly have wasted many billions of tax dollars on rock salt when it was not needed, BAHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
add the NJDOT to that list. and i know there is more,,

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I just hope that I do not have to blow another $130.00 on one of their plastic chutes-If I do I will scrap the bloody thing and go back to using my toros all the time-TAKE THAT JOHN DEERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts