Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium GOT Member
9,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is for stains , not spills

I'm getting ready to seal driveway. Used Dawn dish soap yesterday with a stiff brush amd knew it was working well because the suds were brownish.

But I understand the seal will not adhere if I don't get the stains all the way off? The stains are still there. After several hours of scrubbing/rinsing , power washing.

Would like to hear real life from experience solutions.

Thanks.

I have used Purple Power, Oil Eater, and other degreasers for my shop but want to know something that will also work on driveway asphalt stains.
I want something that actually has worked for other members before I spend $100 or more for 5 gallons of degreaser when maybe I could have used Dawn dish soap and some baking powder instead.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
In the past, I have used an asphalt oil spot primer with good results.

Liquid Automotive tire Tire Fluid Bottle

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
I have used the stuff Ziggy recommended with good results in the past. Never had oil spots bleed through the sealer after using it and I have had many oil leaks over the years. The only spot on our driveway that you see right now is the transmission leak that the driveway sealing companies insisted their product would bond with. Since I doubt they are coming back I will likely be picking up another thing of primer and fix it myself

·
Registered
728 Posts
Back in the day when I had an asphalt driveway, we used to keep a bag of garden lime on hand for spills. It is so dry it would really absorb spills. not sure it it is dry enough to remove for sealing prep procedures.
Diatomaceous earth might also be an alternative.

Reactions: orangputeh

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
I recently had my driveway paved, and I asked the foreman when he thought the driveway would need to be sealed.
He replied that it needs to be sealed when the asphalt is no longer black in colour.
So that is an easy way to tell if your driveway is due for a coat of sealant.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
No experience so in contrast to your request as I still want to try to help, this is a construction site and offers ways for cleaning parking lots. If it's good enough for heavy traffic areas.......

·
Premium GOT Member
9,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I recently had my driveway paved, and I asked the foreman when he thought the driveway would need to be sealed.
He replied that it needs to be sealed when the asphalt is no longer black in colour.
So that is an easy way to tell if your driveway is due for a coat of sealant.
I had my driveway replaced 4 summers ago. WE have harsh long winters so they suggested every other year. It only costs me about 80 bucks to DIY so I do it. Problem is I work on so many machines in driveway that I spill Gas and oil. Gonna change that by doing that kind of work in garage and using special mats or cardboard.

I just finished using Dawn dish soap and baking soda ( whole big Costco bag ) with a hard bristle brush , and the drive came out 10 times better than with just the DD yesterday.

Applied patch and seal is going on tomorrow.

·
Premium GOT Member
9,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got 3 quotes when I replaced driveway
$3600 , $8000 , $12000

What a RACKET!

It pays to do your homework.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
I got 3 quotes when I replaced driveway
$3600 , $8000 , $12000

What a RACKET!

It pays to do your homework.

Yes it pays to do your home work, read online reviews, check out previous work they have done and talk to the home owners if possible. In my area the 2 main paving companies don't really advertise for residential business, as they do mostly commercial work. They rely on positive word of mouth recommendations from previous residential customers.
The detailed quotes I got from them were within 5% of each other.

You have to be careful of fly by night operators, a bad paving job can turn into a large headache for the home owner. The lowest price is not necessarily the best deal.
We get flashy advertisements in the mail box once in a while from paving companies that are located in cities 3 hours away, offering a "great deal on paving".

I believe you generally get what you pay for and if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Smart we’re all preparing for winter. It’s 90+today and humid in Maine but it’s won’t be long. I too was out preparing the driveway to protect it this winter not to mention it looks nice once completed . I laid down 17 bucks of sealer a couple of weeks ago It’s hot messy work but worth the effort. I was getting quotes in the thousands to have it done professionally. Worked filling cracks for a few weeks in the evening then waited for a three day dry window and worked two days and done. The highest proposal I received was 2900 bucks the lowest was 2100 I did it for 410 bucks and two grueling days of hot sweat equity. Money saved is good walking around money 💰😂

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
I was going to suggest using Dawn with Baking Soda. It's the best method I've found so far. But, what I have really found to work the best is, the sun and time. I stopped parking in the spot with the oil, tranny, brake and power steering fluid stains and the sun has done a great job at removing all of the stains. Only problem is it may take a few summers to get rid of most of it.

I will clean stains with Dawn and Baking Soda once a week until the suds don't get brown anymore. Of course eventually you will be removing petroleum from the asphalt.

Three years ago I was working on a car that leaked gas on the driveway when I had jacked up the front of the car (driveway is slopped, front of car was facing up hill). The asphalt got real soft, so I just left it alone. Covered it with a piece of plywood during the day so no one would drive on it and uncovered it over night. Eventually the gas evaporated and the asphalt hardened again. I also made sure to let the sun shine on it. There was a stain where the gas spilled, but it eventually went away over time (the sun must have faded it away). Can't tell where the spill was now.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
The asphalt got real soft
If there's a hole or dent in the asphalt, you can get a small bag of cold-patch and fill the hole, then use a sledge hammer to pound it down until it's level with the surface. It will blend in surprisingly well, and won't be obvious at all after sealing.

·
Registered
186 Posts
If there's a hole or dent in the asphalt, you can get a small bag of cold-patch and fill the hole, then use a sledge hammer to pound it down until it's level with the surface. It will blend in surprisingly well, and won't be obvious at all after sealing.
I left it alone and it rehardened. Can't even tell there was a spill there anymore.

My driveway does have a geotextile fabric under it for support. My old driveway had many depressions from where vehicles would park regularly. My property is all clay. My twelve year old driveway is holding up much better than the old one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts