Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
They dont call me the Grumpy Ol Troll for nothing. I tear my hair out ( what's left of it ) when someone comes here and posts ( no pics mind you )

"I have a ____( fill in blank ) snowblower. It's a bout _________years old . How much is it worth?"

Come on people!!!!! Are you that lazy?????

If you want an intelligent answer try this.......

1. pictures......the more then better
2. brand , model # , approximate age?
3. approx hrs ( if known ). was it used commercially or residential ?
4. Part of country (USA) or part of Canada, or any other country in world.?
5. approx. yearly snowfall that this blower handles.?
6. last time serviced? work performed ?
7. any known issues?
8. time of year selling? spring-summer-fall-winter?
9. approx condition on scale from 1 to 10 with explanation
10. reason selling?

edit. 11. what are comparable blowers selling for in your area? ( probably one of the better indicators )

This is just at the top of my head. When I place ads for my snowblowers I try to answer all these questions and then some. I usually sell my blowers to first person who comes to look at it.

Maybe some of you guys can come up with some more suggestions on answering the question ......"How much is my snowblower worth?"
20190707_155456_resized.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
by the way how much do you think I sold that Honda in the picture? Its a HS928. nearly perfect condition, recently serviced, has impeller kit , located in Sierra Nevada mountains. anywhere between 150-500 inches of snow yearly, no known issues , about 11-15 years old ( never called Honda with serial number ) ,used in residential capacity , time of year listed for sale.....Fall.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Whatever you sell it for I've gotten the impression it's too little. You can get more.

Really, you ask? I can't tell you what it is worth unless you answer some questions for me see above, and how bad do you want to sell it, how bad does the buyer want it, and when is the next snow - tonight?

Reactions: orangputeh

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whatever you sell it for I've gotten the impression it's too little. You can get more.

Really, you ask? I can't tell you what it is worth unless you answer some questions for me see above, and how bad do you want to sell it, how bad does the buyer want it, and when is the next snow - tonight?
I personally get this question all the time. people will email or FB message this question with no pictures or one picture and hardly any other info. drives me CRAZY. I tell them i would have to personally inspect and test drive. I also will charge a fee of course but all they want is a ballpark figure which can have a large swing.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
edit. 11. what are comparable blowers selling for in your area? ( probably one of the better indicators )
that doesn't always work tho. it can sometimes help give you an idea or is sometimes no help at all. prices can be all over the place for pretty much the same thing and the average person doesn't know the difference between 1 model and another. you see some people asking stupid or nearly new prices for a used snowblower sometimes.

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that doesn't always work tho. it can sometimes help give you an idea or is sometimes no help at all. prices can be all over the place for pretty much the same thing and the average person doesn't know the difference between 1 model and another. you see some people asking stupid or nearly new prices for a used snowblower sometimes.
yes, you're right. it may just be a starting point. in my area the Honda 928 can go from anywhere from 1000-2200. The prices are all over the place. buyer beware. I have seen great condition 928's go for 1000 and seen a lot of junky ones go for 1500-2000. Generally speaking most buyers are fairly clueless on what a good machine is.

When someone comes to my garage I usually spend an hour informing people on what to look for in a good machine ( even if they don't want mine which is usually because they are so expensive )
I have had many people bring me machines they thought they got a great deal on and then have to spend 200-300 with me to get it ready for winter. That is why I get so many emails and messages from people and the major reason I started that FB group. It got tiring trying to help people one on one. I rarely do that anymore.

This has come back to bite me as more people know what to look for and beat me to the good deals.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
the prices being all over the place is also be a pain sometimes. i know i have had people completely low ball me base on what someone else has listed and they were not even the same type of machine or even made by the same manufacture. i guess they were trying to get me to price match a different machine lol. i don't play that game. i tell them to go buy the cheaper machine. i usually work some buffer room into my price but i don't run a charity.

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@JLawrence08648 brought up a couple good points. What a blower is worth is also contingent on sellers motivation and buyers needs and wants. When I am selling or buying I am listening for clues. As a buyer I am wondering why the person is selling. Are they moving? Do they need the money? Are they saying things like tired of putting money in it, or just trying to get rid of it. I let people talk . They will usually give you clues for your offer or if they are firm.

As a seller I also listen to the potential buyer. How badly do they need a blower? Did their old one break or they just moved to area and need one badly. People are great about giving you lots of clues if you just let them talk.

In my experience most people wait until the last minute to sell or buy and are really not well thought out on their plans. This is where a patient person can do well.

·
Registered
210 Posts
They dont call me the Grumpy Ol Troll for nothing. I tear my hair out ( what's left of it ) when someone comes here and posts ( no pics mind you )

"I have a ____( fill in blank ) snowblower. It's a bout _________years old . How much is it worth?"

Come on people!!!!! Are you that lazy?????

If you want an intelligent answer try this.......

1. pictures......the more then better
2. brand , model # , approximate age?
3. approx hrs ( if known ). was it used commercially or residential ?
4. Part of country (USA) or part of Canada, or any other country in world.?
5. approx. yearly snowfall that this blower handles.?
6. last time serviced? work performed ?
7. any known issues?
8. time of year selling? spring-summer-fall-winter?
9. approx condition on scale from 1 to 10 with explanation
10. reason selling?

This is just at the top of my head. When I place ads for my snowblowers I try to answer all these questions and then some. I usually sell my blowers to first person who comes to look at it.

Maybe some of you guys can come up with some more suggestions on answering the question ......"How much is my snowblower worth?" View attachment 178245
That Honda is bad azz.

·
Registered
150 Posts
"@JLawrence08648 brought up a couple good points. What a blower is worth is also contingent on sellers motivation and buyers needs and wants. When I am selling or buying I am listening for clues. As a buyer I am wondering why the person is selling. Are they moving? Do they need the money? Are they saying things like tired of putting money in it, or just trying to get rid of it. I let people talk . They will usually give you clues for your offer or if they are firm."

As a buyer, also take a close look at the photos and specifically what is in the background. If you see a shop with a bunch of tools and other snow and lawn equipment, the seller likely knows what is wrong with the machine and its a headache machine. Also on FB, you can see what other items the person is selling. If you see a bunch of lawnmowers and other equipment, it is the same deal.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
evh - Great points, I'm always looking at what is in the background and other items for sale.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
I always get a chuckle from For Sale ads when the Item is strapped down on a trailer. Does this mean:
  • I got this cheap at a garage sale and want to make a fast buck today
  • I just stole this and will cover it with a tarp until you come
  • I just got this back from the repair shop and I'm tired of dumping money into it

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I always get a chuckle from For Sale ads when the Item is strapped down on a trailer. Does this mean:
  • I got this cheap at a garage sale and want to make a fast buck today
  • I just stole this and will cover it with a tarp until you come
  • I just got this back from the repair shop and I'm tired of dumping money into it
Hoping #3. I always worry about buying a stolen one. I run a reverse directory on their phone number , google name and/or check FB profile. Have run into a couple sketchy people. One guy tried to pass off a Honda 828 for a 928. The bucket decals were 928 but the engine was a GX240 .which is an 8 horsepower. When I pointed this out to him he got all fidgety , I almost decided to call off the deal. He ended up giving it to me for free in exchange for a service on his other Honda with an impeller kit installed.

We ended up being friends over the last couple years. He is a property manager and has steered clients my way. He told me he was just intimindated by me the first time we met when he didint know the difference in Honda models.

·
Registered
147 Posts
So Orangputeh, my uncles buddy has a red or maybe it’s orange snowblower, it’s only a few years old and starts right up, needs a little work but does the job, sometimes makes a funny squeaking or sometimes a scraping sound but I don’t think it’s from the motor. I don’t have any pictures but my uncle saw it and said it looks pretty nice.
How much do you think it’s worth?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts