Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. New to the forum and snowblowers in general. I have a TRS24 I just picked up, and it's in pretty good shape and runs quite well. From what I see here and on donyboy's site, I'm fairly sure it's a Murray. Just out of curiosity, I'd like to know how old it is. Here's what the data plate says:

Serial number: *M0TR24A130744
Second line: TRS24 WBSB
Third line: Deere and Company Moline, Illinois Made in Canada

Can anyone come up with a build date from this info? THANKS!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Last of all, can you get a few photos of your TRS24? I've not seen any of the TRS, just the plane jane 524 that preceded it. I work on one of em.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
if the engine is the original, you should be able to narrow down the machines age from the engine tag.

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
if the engine is the original, you should be able to narrow down the machines age from the engine tag.
Yup, if you look around the area where the top of the recoil starter housing attaches to the engine there may be some stamped in numbers like HS50 or HSSK50 and then some numbers and letters, may be on a sticker applied on the starboard side of the housing. It's a Murray with very small design differences spec'd by JD. For future parts searches cross reference a similar Craftsman 536. model, or Murray and add "MA" to the part number, or Briggs numbers as they bought out Murray. The parts will be way cheaper than getting the "AM" John Deere parts, and usually quicker to get. Some 2000ish Tecumseh powered blowers on Craftsman and Murray have a date on the decal near the choke/key/ and throttle. It would be interesting to hear what John Deere responds if you send them an email regarding it:icon-embarrassed: My experience with my own and about 6 others went from immediate date confirmation to "that is an invalid model number." When I sent them a picture of the "M" number label and JD nomenclature they responded they don't keep detailed information on homeowner products. Best advice I can give is like others have noted on here. Find the JD part numberJohn Deere - Parts Catalog and then google that number for other part number hits. I know on mine the bushings and friction wheel crossed to Simplicity and Toro at a fraction of the cost of JD.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for all the good info. Guess I was right that it is a Murray. I still need to work on finding a Sears 536.XXX clone to use as a starting point for any parts searches I may have in the future. I'm sure I'll eventually hit on one. I have found the JD online parts catalog to use as another starting point, even though I probably will buy the parts elsewhere. I did do the e-mail to John Deere and will hopefully get a response from them. The tag on the Tecumseh engine reads as follows: HSSK50 67336M (D) 3216B. Anyone have the decoder key for this?

·
Banned
1,585 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the good info! That helps narrow it down. Now if John Deere would come back with a date, that would cinch it. For now, if I had to choose between 1993 and 2003, I think I would go with 1993.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Im going to say 99% likely to be 1993.
I have some Deere/Ariens info on my Ariens page, and Ariens build some JD snowblowers in the 1990's. (1991 to 2001 to be exact)
During that same era, the entry-level Deere snowblowers were made by Murray, and those are the TRS and TRX models.
Im pretty sure those were also made 1991 to 2001.

Scot

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, Scot. Just putting all this info together leads me to believe that I do indeed have a 1993 machine built by Murray. I did hear back from John Deere via e-mail, and they were no help. They gave me a number for their power equipment division, which turned out to be Briggs and Stratton and they were even less help. The said my serial number didn't exist. I guess in their database it didn't. A second number given via e-mail was to John Deere customer service, and they tried hard to find reference to my machine and came up empty. Oh well, it's really not that big a deal. On another subject, I will add a few photos as promised earlier in this thread, but apparently I have to have made 10 posts, as I understand it. Working on it....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just got a second e-mail from John Deere concerning my request. A second person looked and did confirm that my TRS24 is indeed a 1993 model, sold in September 1993. Now I know for sure!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any way to keep chute from clogging in wet snow?

Here it is only October and I'm looking forward to trying this (little) beast out. Here in Northern Virginia, some years we get no snow, and last year we got a monster 36 inch storm, so you never know. More often than not, we get like 6 inches of wet snow at a time or thereabouts. I know using the old snow shovel (plastic or the old aluminum), sometimes the snow sticks to the shovel and sometimes not. I have tried the old home remedies (rubbing with wax paper, spraying with WD-40) with varying success. Does this condition carry over to snow blowers, and if so, what can be done about it?

·
Registered
115 Posts
---- I know using the old snow shovel (plastic or the old aluminum), sometimes the snow sticks to the shovel and sometimes not. I have tried the old home remedies (rubbing with wax paper, spraying with WD-40) with varying success. Does this condition carry over to snow blowers, and if so, what can be done about it?
It does carry over. You can try Ariens Snow-Jet spray or DuPont Snow & Ice Teflon spray. You should be able to find either or both at places like Home Depot/Lowes or your local snow blower dealer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For GoBlowSnow: You asked for some pics of the TRS24. I set up an album and there are some shots of the beast there. Forum won't let me PM you until I have 15 posts.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
DB, some members here use the dollar store version of " pam" cooking spray to keep snow from sticking .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts