Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many, if not all? Of Toro's 2 stage snowblowers have what I'm calling a drum auger, a large cylinder that the auger blades are attached to rather than the smaller hollow "pipe". Why? Is there an advantage?

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
I thought it was their take on the Archimedean screw . . . The center section is not that efficient as compared to the outer section, thus the drum in the center section.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
I think Archimedes owned a Toro, because look at this design for a pump that he came up with back in about 250 B.C. . . . :wink:

It's even painted black :icon_smile_big:

there are some university papers, etc on the web that talk about design optimization of the inner cylinder (i.e. drum) radius versus the outer radius of the screw.

Just wondering if Toro was thinking along those lines with their drum auger . . . :icon-shrug:

·
Registered
238 Posts
The drum makes it more like a positive displacement pump, so in theory the rate of snow being brought to the impeller is more constant. The solid but varying consistency of snow makes this more or less relevant but I can see that the drum could somewhat optimize and regulate the flow rate. It appears to be a cost vs real benefit thing.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Also, the more standard augers with just the blades, being about 3" in width, really does not move any more snow, it just allows the snow to be pushed in through the auger blades due to the forward motion of the machine.

The Toro drum design forces the snow into the blades which then move the snow to the center of the machine where the impeller takes it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Had a peek at those posts about the drum, as I was not sure if it was as efficient to move that snow as competitors. I do understand that the purpose of the drum is to limit in some way the amount of snow to the back impeller not to overwhelm the blower. I am looking at either an old toro or ariens (bugget). I thought that people were hung to the brand or how strong it was built. Saw a video of powershit toro vs latest Ariens vs Husqvarna. and toro was not bad.

·
Registered
579 Posts
...added bonus, no shear pins to break or replace.

·
Registered
168 Posts
...added bonus, no shear pins to break or replace.
??? In a video i did see how to replace shear pins in a drum auger.

This guy is a small engine mechanic, I have watched lots of video from him. I like the way he works, good maintenance and no unnecessary steps, and to the point.

So check this out, and tell me what you think.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts