Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All: Thanks in advance for any help here. I purchased this Ariens snow blower about 4 yrs ago, it's a 28 deluxe and it has been nothing but a nightmare. I sold my old Noma, that was 15 yrs old and it never gave me an issue other than routine maint, a cable and a friction wheel - all I did on my own. Anyway, my snow blower went from only having one reverse speed, to working fine (I made an adjustment) to not moving at all, to only moving forward at a very high speed. I opened the bottom and found that the shift fork came unattached and I found a washer and this part. I can see where the washer goes but where does this go?? I looked at a diagram on the Ariens page but it still doesn't make sense to me. It's part #46 in the diagram https://parts.ariens.com/partlookup_a/261.htm?aribrand=ARN#/Ariens/921035_(000101_-_)_Deluxe_28"/Friction_Drive/04585200B|~921035/04585200B|~24|~28|~29|~30|~32|~35|~36|~37/y

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Well first I'll admit my knowledge is mostly about the older Ariens machines, so hopefully someone versed in the newer models will chime in!

But here's my take on it... it looks like the forks on the shift lever (#3 in the diagram) are supposed to go over the "pins" sticking out the side of the friction disc carrier (#1). But if the forks just straddled those pins, the carrier could spin and come free of them. That would cause the symptoms you're seeing where the carrier could slide freely back and forth and give you whatever drive speed it darn well feels like. So it looks to me like that item #46 on the diagram, and probably the washer (which maybe is #60 on the diagram?) are used to link the carrier to the fork in some way that allows the pins on the carrier to slide in the slots in the forks, but not come free. Does that make any sense?

It seems like there also should be some means of attaching that part (#46) to the disc carrier... maybe it clips on, or maybe that's what screw #58 does? If the latter is true and the screw is missing, it could explain what happened.

Probably the best thing would be if someone with a similar model (that's working properly) could shoot a photo of the setup so you could see how those parts fit together.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts