Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On power tools.....cordless has replaced about 95% of my corded tools. I have like 30 6AH M18 Batteries, a good handful of 9/12AH and the list goes on.......

I watched my neighbor last season use his Toro SS 60V. Handled decent like any single stage would handle. Alot of back/forth to move the heavier wet snow, which to some degree would be similar to my HS621.

The batteries at the end of the day is what cost you....the tool is -cheap-. Not good ROI where a gasser will just last years.

Curious if anybody is leaning on the -cordless- direction . Battery Zero Turn mowers seem to work fine. It's inevitable at some point a good/great cordless 2 stager will come to fruit

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think that if you lived in an area where you did not get deep snow, and had a smaller area that you needed to blow, a cordless blower would work just fine. But if you have a large driveway, that can sometimes be covered with 2+ feet, gas blowers will still be king for at least the next decade.

Like you said, it's the batteries. If the blower is 200, and the battery is another 100, and it only lasts a couple years, it will add up way to quick in my mind. I would hate to get halfway through and have to swap batteries, or wait for one to charge.

Now if they ever make a blower that will take a standard car battery (think group 65 or something similar), with an inverter or something to step up the voltage, then maybe I would consider that. If I could replace the battery myself and not have to rely on a specific manufacturer to make a battery to fit their machine.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
i feel like the batteries technology needs to get better and way cheaper. it will likely get there eventually but not there yet.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Much like hand tools, cordless is for light and/or intermittent work.

My use is in heavy snow country, and often multiple houses, and I don't use cordless for the same reasons I don't use electric cars. Cost, short runtime, and waits to recharge. Gas goes pretty much as long as you want, with instant refill WITHOUT costing a fortune. (Same pretty much for uand tools - for the big jobs, I get out the corded. I don't have time to screw with batteries . . .)

Those who simply want to feel smug about having electric, go for it. I'm about function, and it's not there yet.

·
Super Moderator
1,818 Posts
Until, of course... the dinosaur fuel inevitably runs out...

I understand both viewpoints, let's just not go to war over it.

Who in the '50's ever imagined we'd have battery-powered screwdrivers, and impact guns, and LED lanterns that could make a pump-up Coleman look like a sick firefly?

Agreed we're not quite there yet with most OPE, at least not for everyone... someday I think we will be.

Now please excuse me... I gotta go wind up my watch... 😎

·
Registered
157 Posts
The top rail on my fence is wide and comfortable so I will sit there.

I would not go out and get one, but If I already had a system for my cordless lawn tools and they made a blower I would get it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
No fence for me either. The batteries are going to cost as much as the snow blower when they need to be replaced. They sucks in wet and deep snow, unless they are two-stage battery powered snow blowers. Even then, electric snow blowers have less weight, which give less wheel traction in snow. Anything electric will suffer from cold climate, ...
Yeah, they are quiet and low maintenance, but suck in everything else.
Use a gas snow blower and you will feel more like a man.

I can't speak for everyone though. There is a market for electric snow blowers.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Curious if anybody is leaning on the -cordless- direction .
They have their place. On the deck, for me. I also have a Honda HSS1332AATD for the big stuff. My Greenworks Pro will handle a foot of snow, and with two 40-minute batteries to tag-team that recharge in 30 minutes it can do a lot more... I have done my entire property with it on one battery with 6" of snow. The same 80V batteries run my trimmer, sweeper, pole saw and chain saw, too.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
on the no side

Its easy to fix a gasser that's been neglected and had gas left in it but when batteries start losing capacity or failing its a whole new ballgame

But for the mechanically inept / older / small driveway people its probably worth the risk. And there are many out there in this category!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@tadawson. Cordless has come a loooong way. My metal's, hilt, etc corded all sit dormant. Without the cord, I can tell you the finite things I have held my angle grinder and used it in SO many different ways I would not have with a cord Granted, I may use up 10-15 batteries in that sessions, application (which I have plenty on deck), but in the realm of power tools -----not OPE, cordless is KING.

In the realm of OPE, while it's not the power of a gasser, I do like my cordless blower (not snow but blower) for all things yard work.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Good if you own a Townhouse.

The 110v electric ones can do 24" of dry snow.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I simply don't care for any outdoor power equipment that doesn't run on dead dinosaurs, but I am old and irrelevant.

·
Registered
295 Posts
So I took a look at what's in stock at my local home depot, it seems that you can get a very residential and meh 2 stage gas blower from troy bilt or the chinese clones like powersmart or whatever for under 700 bucks, and a battery powered blower that will move as much snow as those would run you almost double. They'll both probably last around the same amount of time as the battery powered ones are largely made of plastic, and the cheap 2 stages are made out of chinese sheet metal. I don't see the value in these 2 stage cordless blowers at all. For single stage, thats really where cordless becomes more affordable, but you're probably giving up a lot in functionality and durability as well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Why doesn't anyone build a true balls to the wall, no holds barred battery powered blower that would run for 2.5 to 3.5 hours non stop in heavy sow? I might be more interested if they did. I guess for the same reason they don't build a car the same way.......

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Why doesn't anyone build a true balls to the wall, no holds barred battery powered blower that would run for 2.5 to 3.5 hours non stop in heavy sow? I might be more interested if they did. I guess for the same reason they don't build a car the same way.......
Tell Elon, we need a Tesla snowblower.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If I had a small driveway and sidewalk, I totally would get one because they're very easy to use and maintain. However, I have a long driveway and sidewalk and I often do both neighbors on either side as well so I'll stick with the gas blower.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
So, curious... Of the folks who responded above, who actually owns a cordless snowblower, or has at least used one? I was skeptical as well until I used one at my friend's house... I've been very happy with mine and its sibling 80V OPE tools.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
they make some awesome tools that are battery powered but like i said the cost and battery technology is just not there yet. the price of batteries need to come down a lot if they really want battery powered machines to take off. the batteries for most machines or equipment just cost way too much. i would say if they were to be about 1/3 of what they are now people may embrace them but $600+ for snowblower batteries is just too much unless they are going to put a extremely good warranty on them that guarantees them for at least 5-10 years especially since the batteries generally require some special maintenance.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts