Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
like i said the cost and battery technology is just not there yet. the price of batteries need to come down a lot if they really want battery powered machines to take off. the batteries for most machines or equipment just cost way too much.
I paid $75 for a second 80V battery that lasts 40 minutes in my snow blower or over an hour in my chain saw, and recharges in 30 minutes. What's wrong with that? I hear lots of noise here from people that apparently have not used what they're commenting on. I purchased my Greenworks blower used for $100 including a battery and charger. Both batteries are still fully functional and recharge quickly. I did this driveway (and my deck and walkways) and this load of wood with just one battery. I can do my grass trimming for 3 weeks (about 15 minutes each time) on one battery, as well.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
for personal use that may be fine but those times are no good for people that need longer run times. spend $200+ on a battery for a machine like that is a lot of money especially if it fails after 4 years. i know some of the other machines require 2 or more batteries so you could likely be looking at $400-600 if the batteries fail on top of the equipment cost itself. for $600 you could get a pretty nice used gas machine or get your gas machine serviced many times for that money.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
those times are no good for people that need longer run times
As I mentioned, I can swap a battery into the charger and keep running forever. It charges faster than I can use it up, and switching batteries takes seconds.
especially if it fails after 4 years
Mine is now over 4 years old (Manufactured 08/21/2017), and no signs of dying yet... We shall see.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Tabora -

OP here.....
Just chiming in. I can't do a cordless SB just for ROI. If Milwaukee introduced one, then maybe. But's that more because I have -a boatload- of batteries.

On batteries, they start a declining age the minute it leaves the factory. Granted, charging, storage conditions, etc all play a role in how long a battery usable life you may ge. If you get 6 years, great.....but I'm not going to expect same/similar run times 4-5 years ya know....

·
Registered
96 Posts
1.As a battery goes down in charge, so does it's power output which means it doesn't throw snow as far. 2. I can refill my snowblower with gas in 40 seconds flat. can I recharge my battery that fast? 3. parts are very cheap for my gas powered blower, can electric blowers make the same claim? long after I have past, electric blowers might be all the rage. for right now,(and the foreseeable future) their use will be limited to pretty boys that like to think they are relevant. or until someone comes up with an instantly rechargeable battery and 30 year old blowers sell for $25

·
Registered
1971-72 910962 s/n-03101 att.-910995 s/n-048006 TEC# H70-130067A s/n-1218R. #2- 10M6
219 Posts
I agree with most. I drove a friends 2017 Tesla model S- 75D. Power amazing-instant. Just can’t go more than 250-300 miles before a recharge. Not practical. Fun for a minute!
I love my 20v hammer drill hasn’t failed in five years, my Milwaukee M18 impact has more power than my air impact. Batteries last no problem. I love my I live my LED lantern. I bet here in Pittsburgh a cordless blower would work as we don’t get much normally. But I always enjoy doing the whole block and some driveways for the neighbors, and that is usually quite a few hours. So I would pass same as my grass cutting, I cut for about 4 hours at a time -do a couple elderly neighbors so a battery powered unit isn’t going to work. The cost of batteries are rediculous, and IMO just as bad for the environment as anything. I don’t buy global warming, or ice age theory. Nor do I believe we are close to running out of fuel. Just my opinion!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was recently in the market for a grass trimmer (aka whipper snipper) and was looking at the higher end gas units with detachable heads that you can buy separate attachment for like edgers, pole saw, small tiller, etc. The Ryobi Cordless 40V cordless unit with the brush-less caught my eye. I was not in the market for an electric trimmer, but that is what i bought. Purchased the more expensive unit so the cost was similar to a new gas unit. I cannot believe the power this unit has. It has a hi and low power switch. First use: "Why would you use low power?" A: Because on high power it will throw grass clippings up the entire side of your house. I had to wash the grass off the soffits. I have since bought the tiller attachment and cannot believe the power in this little cordless electric unit.

The basic electric motor is very simple and old tech with little that can go wrong, especially in contrast to a small gas engine. Its all about the battery. The battery tech has come so far in the past 5 years so it it not hard to imagine its use in larger snowblowers very soon.

As a battery goes down in charge, so does it's power output which means it doesn't throw snow as far.
With the newer lithium batteries this is simply no longer true. My cordless drill and new trimmer have full power until the battery is flat. They stop when empty like a gasser.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Greenworks 80V Battery Info Chart
Max VoltageNominal VoltageAmp Hours (ah)Capacity in Watt Hours (wh)Max Charging Rate (Watts)Charge Time (Minutes)Weight (lbs)MSRPPrice per Watt HoureBay PriceeBay Price per Watt Hour
80722144420303.2$1280.89$ 75$ 0.52
80723*240420454$ 120$ 0.50
80724288420605$2981.03$ 175$ 0.61
80725360420905$3901.08$ 240$ 0.67
80726*4804201055.5$ 160$ 0.33
* Aftermarket

To clarify, I only own two of the smallest size 2Ah batteries and they are adequate for all my needs... You can mix and match capacity as you need. The 6Ah batteries look like a deal and have a 5-year warranty, too.

Reactions: quexpress

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
As a battery goes down in charge, so does it's power output which means it doesn't throw snow as far.
Actually, a lithium-ion cell's power curve looks like this. Pretty steady at 3.7ish volts until almost the end... The "tank" suddenly runs dry and you swap batteries and keep going.

·
Registered
165 Posts
(Thought this posted yesterday.) I always hoped electric would improve to the point that it was good enough. The first few I had were not.
Wanted to avoid all the fumes. Had a lot of trouble.
When electric is built tough and last long enough with battery, multiple or not, and charging no issue then I will happily go to electric. Tired of @issing oil.
Until then I will continue to give it all I got to the neighborhood. Course my back and body probably will give out before first snowfall...

·
Registered
96 Posts
So, if you only have enough money to buy one battery, you stand around waiting for your one battery to charge? don't get me wrong, I truly believe battery powered tools have a place, just not in lawn&garden maintenance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So, if you only have enough money to buy one battery, you stand around waiting for your one battery to charge? don't get me wrong, I truly believe battery powered tools have a place, just not in lawn&garden maintenance.
As an example my Ryobi Trimmer came with only one battery, which lasts about 40 minutes. It gets me through 3 trims. Yes - need to remember to recharge it, but I no longer need to deal with mixed gas for a 2 stroke trimmer.

If I were using this for commercial purposes, it would not suit, but for home use on my 1/3 acre lot it does the trick. I have used the tiller attachment for tilling flower beds and it did a supreme job in 1/4 the time of doing it my hand. Used 30 minutes with power left and put it on the charger.

I now have a second battery as by adult children bought be a hedge trimmer of the same brand and it came with another 40V battery.

I have a neighbour with a ride on electric lawn mower and he is quite happy with it. It will go about 2 hours and it only takes him 75 to cut his lawn.

I purchased a new John Deere ride on mower this summer and looked at electric in another brand, but the cost difference was too much.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
So, if you only have enough money to buy one battery
Heck, my first 2Ah one was "free" with the $100 blower, and the second one was $75. That keeps me going continuously. A single 6Ah battery for $160 would run the blower for over 2 hours.
I truly believe battery powered tools have a place, just not in lawn&garden maintenance.
Are you not reading all the info above?
I own 4 chain saws; I have not touched the Stihl, Husqvarna or McCulloch since I bought the $178 Greenworks Pro 80V. I will likely sell them.
I own 4 trimmers; I have not touched the Weed Eater, Robin or Homelite since I bought the $46 Kobalt 80V. I will likely sell them.
I own 2 pole saws; I have not touched the Portland (corded) since I bought the Troy-Bilt attachment for the Kobalt 80V. I will likely sell it.
I do own a Honda HSS1332AATD, so I only use the Greenworks Pro 80V on the deck or when there's only a few inches on the rest of the property, but I could use it continuously until the job was done if needed.
I do own a Toro ZeroTurn and 2 Honda self-propelled mowers, otherwise I would probably buy a Greenworks Pro 80V 21" self propelled mower for $380.

Reactions: Tony-chicago

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
These guys are big into serious cordless mowers:

MEAN GREEN MOWERS
Traditional gas mowers are loud, inefficient, toxic to the environment and expensive to operate and maintain. At Mean Green we’re solving each of those problems with some of the most efficient electric mowers.

EVOLUTION SERIES – LITHIUM POWERED ELECTRIC!

The EVO is the flagship mower of the new “evolution” series mowers by Mean Green Mowers! With up to 8 hours of continuous mowing time, an expansive 74″ deck, speeds up to 13mph, and horsepower comparable to a 37hp diesel mower, the EVO is sure to please most any large area mowing operators. In addition to the already exclusive patented electric ZTR features, the EVO boasts an all new hub drive system designed from heavy duty excavating equipment. The new patent pending deck lift system and battery/drive wheel arrangement provides the EVO with some of the best in class power and stability on slopes up to 20 degrees. If you have a need for a quiet, low maintenance, cost-cutting, zero emission mower capable of cutting large areas all day long, the new EVO-74 is your ultimate performer! Contact your local dealer for a demo!

SPEED & POWER
The EVO was designed with maximum power in mind. We knew it had to compete with the most powerful gas and diesel engine mowers on the market, so we combined known time tested planetary gearing with the latest electric hub motor technology resulting in our leading edge Impulse Drive System™. The results are impressive with almost three times the power and weight carrying capability compared to our current, already powerful, 60″ ZTR mower! The comparable horsepower of our 74″ EVO exceeds that of most 72″ gas or diesel mowers. While power is important for maintaining speed while cutting thick grass, the EVO also shines with forward ground speed of 13 mph to compete with or exceed most popular 72″ gas or diesel mowers on the market.

SMART & EFFICIENT
Speed and power are obviously important for commercial operations, but having a mower that is smart and efficient is also crucial. The EVO is constructed of a strong aluminum alloy which provides great strength with super lightweight efficiency. Less weight means less power to mobilize, which results in longer run times per battery charge. Additionally, the EVO has more smart technology than most mowers. Our full CAN bus communication system allows all of our components to “talk” to each other, providing maximum efficiency for remarkable operation. Our patent pending deck lift system is operated with the push of a button on our new interactive glove touch screen display. The deck can also be operated with your feet for quick movements up and down. The new more powerful blade controllers monitor the blade motors to deliver more power than ever! The high/low blade and drive speed options allow the operator to choose the most efficient or most powerful setting.

QUIET ENDURANCE
The EVO is most impressive in the areas of low noise and endurance. Several optional battery packs allow for cutting times of up to 8 hours on one charge! At the high speeds of the EVO, that can add up to 20-30 acres of mowing per charge. Mowing can start early in the morning due to the super low noise level of just 78dba which is equivalent to light car traffic outside your house.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
And this new EGO 2-Stage looks promising:

The new EGO POWER+ 2-Stage Snow Blower is the only cordless 2-stage snowblower that delivers the power and performance of gas without the noise, fuss and fumes. Peak Power™ technology combines the power of any two EGO 56V ARC Lithium™ batteries to tackle the toughest snow conditions and what the snowplow leaves behind with ease. Get the job done quickly with the 24 in. clearing width and 20 in. intake height to handle even the deepest snow. 4 LED lights make it easy for use in early morning or evening. Variable speed auger and 200 degree chute direction give you complete control to throw snow where you need it, up to 50 ft. EGO harnesses the power of the industry’s most advanced 56V, 7.5Ah ARC Lithium™ batteries to clear 8” of snow on a 18 car driveway. With rugged construction and a high-efficiency brushless motor, it’s the industry’s first cordless 2-stage snow blower with the power and performance of gas without the noise, fuss and fumes.
  • Peak Power™ technology combines the power of 2 EGO 56V 7.5 ARC Lithium™ batteries
  • Throws snow up to 50-ft
  • Clear an 18 car driveway with 8-in of snow on a single charge
  • 24-In clearing width, 20-in intake height
  • Variable-speed, self-propelled with forward and reverse directions; rear differential for easy turning
  • Independent brushless motors: self-propel and auger
  • Variable-speed auger control
  • Weather-resistant heavy-duty steel and composite construction to handle challenging conditions
  • 200 Degree rear chute control; rear chute deflector

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
and your looking at $700 to buy 2 new batteries for a ego if they fail.
My point is that all these disparaging comments are saying "if". No one other than me seems to have any actual experience with the high-voltage (& high-wattage charging) cordless models, and my batteries are still going strong at the age of 4 years. It sounds like all the naysayers when them-there new-fangled horseless carriages came along...

And the batteries can be had for less: For EGO 56V 6.0Ah/7.5Ah/9.0Ah Lithium Battery BA1400T Power BA4200 ST1502LB US | eBay

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've been eyeing the Toro cordless hedge trimmer, E21 single stage snowblower, and the 21" cordless lawnmower for a year now. I am convinced that they are good enough to consider phasing out my gas powered OPE. Toro just introduced a e24" 2 stage snowblower that is also runs on battery power. I may be buying into the Toro battery ecosystem in a very near future.

My next car is probably an EV as well.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Somebody let me know when they have an e-turd that is 40 years old (like some blowers) and they can still get batteries for it (muchless electrical parts). Gad, they can't even standardize between too many models, much less brands. Myself, I do my best to avoid proprietary lock-in like it was an STD!

Oddly enough, the same gasoline works in everything . . . how anout that? Amazing!

I have 2 cans - 2 cycle for 2 leaf blowers, hedge trimmer, string trimmer and chainsaw, and plain for snow blower, edger, tiller, generator and mower. Some here make it sound like 2 cycle fuel iis some kind of magic . . . . 60 seconds or so to mix, big deal!

Not that it happens much, but I certainly would nlt want to be trapped in a storm if power was lost, and I could not charge my e-turd . . .

As noted in another post, some electric hand tools have a place in light to medium duty apps, and that can be a bit handly, but has it's downside. (I've never pulled out a corded drill to fimd the batteries were depleted, or had just died outright . . . ). For big jobs like auto work, I pull out the pneumatics.

Note how heavy tools like radial arm and table saws are not bettery powered . . . If it could work, I would think contractors would use them en-mass to avoid temp power issues on job site, but just. not. there. yet!

Still seems like most electric is by folks who simply want to feel smug, and not solve any actual problem . . .

No arguments at all about my electric shaver though!:) :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have my cordless impact wrench, cordless tire inflator, cordless circular saw, cordless drill/screwdriver. Love them all.

My kids and I also have battery powered RC vehicles as well. I will never go back to nitro methane powered RC ever again. Too messy, too fussy, too noisy.

I like the idea of not having to run out the gas station to fill up for my snowblower, lawnmower, and car.

I realized as much as I love the sound of CD's, online streaming is so much more convenient and the sound quality is pretty darn good. Plus, I can listen to everything I ever want without buying CD's.

I used to collect movies on DVD and Blu-ray disk. Now I use Netflix and Apple TV. I love this stuff.

One day, I will move somewhere that has consistent solar power to power everything I need around the house, and my car as well. Geothermal heating and cooling would be nice as well. Maybe one day, we will have cold fusion energy in every household.

Steam engine replaced horses. Internal combustion engine replaced steam engine. Electric cars will soon phase out internal combustion engines, and so on.

Times change, some people do change, some don't change. Time waits for no one.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts