Snowblower Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
My point is that all these disparaging comments are saying "if". No one other than me seems to have any actual experience with the high-voltage (& high-wattage charging) cordless models, and my batteries are still going strong at the age of 4 years. It sounds like all the naysayers when them-there new-fangled horseless carriages came along...

And the batteries can be had for less: For EGO 56V 6.0Ah/7.5Ah/9.0Ah Lithium Battery BA1400T Power BA4200 ST1502LB US | eBay
my neighbor had a ego battery fail less than 1 year after buying it. i am not against electric tools but batteries for them still cost too much. also those batteries look like knock of batteries so i personally wouldn't put much faith in them. i would be willing to bet using knock off batteries like that would void any warranty on the equipment if the manufactures found out.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Toro's 2 stage battery powered snowblower.

FlexForce 60V snowblower

Yes, price is high compared to a 8hp 24" gas powered snowblower. $400 premium over gas powered models. The sting doesn't seem as bad if the same batteries can be used for lawnmower in the summer.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
I have my cordless impact wrench, cordless tire inflator, cordless circular saw, cordless drill/screwdriver. Love them all.

My kids and I also have battery powered RC vehicles as well. I will never go back to nitro methane powered RC ever again. Too messy, too fussy, too noisy.

I like the idea of not having to run out the gas station to fill up for my snowblower, lawnmower, and car.

I realized as much as I love the sound of CD's, online streaming is so much more convenient and the sound quality is pretty darn good. Plus, I can listen to everything I ever want without buying CD's.

I used to collect movies on DVD and Blu-ray disk. Now I use Netflix and Apple TV. I love this stuff.

One day, I will move somewhere that has consistent solar power to power everything I need around the house, and my car as well. Geothermal heating and cooling would be nice as well. Maybe one day, we will have cold fusion energy in every household.

Steam engine replaced horses. Internal combustion engine replaced steam engine. Electric cars will soon phase out internal combustion engines, and so on.

Times change, some people do change, some don't change. Time waits for no one.
Heh You have just defined just about every compromise that I am completely unwilling to make! Still use CD's, 4k BluRay, Nitro RC models, etc. Just not willing to deal with less quality for the sake of minimal convienience . . . (Of course, running a 7.1 DTS theatre suite with a 120" screen and front projection, well, let's just say that simplicity/dumbing down isn't my thing . . .)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Heh You have just defined just about every compromise that I am completely unwilling to make! Still use CD's, 4k BluRay, Nitro RC models, etc. Just not willing to deal with less quality formthe sake of minimal convienience . . . (Of course, running a 7.1 DTS theatre suite with a 120" screen and front projection, well, let's just say that si plicity/dumhing down isn't my thing . . .)
I'm fine with that. I'm a nostalgic soul with an open mind.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ariens used to have a cordless 2-stage.. i think it was a 24in bucket if memory serves well ( someone check on that?) I like the idea of this.. but this needs bigger buckets.. and longer battery life.. it takes me a solid hour and 15mins in the minimum with a 30in bucket.. and ive seen myself going to town for a solid 2.5hours as well on ONE snowfall.. and do it all again 2-3 days later.. back then ( maybe 10 years ago) that machine claimed 45mins runs time on a charge at the best ( 6in of light fluffly snow, anything easier woldnt give logner run time apparently) this just wasnt enough for needs like mine.. Ariens dropped that idea shortly after due im guessing to lack of sales..

no carbs to gum up would be a plus.. no EFI sensors to bug out either ;) no gas to deal with.. the trend of single stage cordless machines should be telling us something new is looming on teh horizon folks.. ;)

there was a time in the construction world when people vowed to never buy a tool without a cord.. and that changed didnt it? ;) im an autommotive tech by trade.. were seeing the air tools get less and less in our toolboxes in favor of cordless electrics too.. also .. something we vowed would never happen lol

·
Registered
278 Posts
Actually, a lithium-ion cell's power curve looks like this. Pretty steady at 3.7ish volts until almost the end... The "tank" suddenly runs dry and you swap batteries and keep going.
View attachment 180481
gees that sounds alot like a gas unit huh? lol i totally get your point of view.. and im glad someone that ACTUALLY has one.. chimes in :)

and for all the folks who keep on saying how.. once the battery dies.. i dont have time to wait for it to charge.. well folks.. HE has 2 batteries.. so he can swap ( just like filling up the tank again) and get going again.. the other battery goes on the charger.. cycle repeats 40ish minutes later

can you fill it back up with gas if your 5-gallon can is empty? ;) this is like NOT having a spare battery... is it not?

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
no carbs to gum up would be a plus..
shell or canadian tire 91 octane should prevent gum ups since it is ethanol free. in the end tho it all boils down to money.

at least in the construction industry they are using their tools daily where they can pay for themselves and for the most part batteries are taken care.of so they mathematically pay for themselves a lot quicker than when you only use them a few times a year for personal use.

and for all the folks who keep on saying how.. once the battery dies.. i dont have time to wait for it to charge.. well folks.. HE has 2 batteries.. so he can swap ( just like filling up the tank again) and get going again.. the other battery goes on the charger.. cycle repeats 40ish minutes later
but most people are not going to have an extra set of $4-600 batteries for a $2000 blower sitting around. plus you also have to look at it long term if one or multiple batteries fail after the warranty is up you are looking at anywhere from $200-1200 in new batteries to replace the ones that have failed. this is where i feel like the cost of batteries need to come down a lot before battery powered stuff will become main stream.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
shell or canadian tire 91 octane should prevent gum ups since it is ethanol free. in the end tho it all boils down to money.

at least in the construction industry they are using their tools daily where they can pay for themselves and for the most part batteries are taken care.of so they mathematically pay for themselves a lot quicker than when you only use them a few times a year for personal use.

but most people are not going to have an extra set of $4-600 batteries for a $2000 blower sitting around. plus you also have to look at it long term if one or multiple batteries fail after the warranty is up you are looking at anywhere from $200-1200 in new batteries to replace the ones that have failed. this is where i feel like the cost of batteries need to come down a lot before battery powered stuff will become main stream.
IF they have not been discontinued . . .

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
yes that too. it is annoying when they choose a new voltage as the better voltage for tools. it is definitely nice that some brands like dewalt have kept their batteries pretty compatible with the flexvolt batteries but it would definitely be nice if they made batteries a bit more universal and interchangeable since they are usually the most expensive part of the system. it would also be nice if they decided on a voltage and stuck with it.

·
Super Moderator
1,632 Posts
Standardized batteries across the industry would sure go a long way to making electric work for more people.

I remember the early days of (especially the laptop) PCs, when every maker/version/iteration/peripheral had a different voltage/connector/adapter etc... somewhere I still have a whole box of that junk.

Now... mostly USB. Standardized (mostly) connectors, and many fewer headaches.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
my neighbor had a ego battery fail less than 1 year after buying it.
And that's why they have a Warranty that would have covered it...

EGO Warranty Policy
  • 5-year limited warranty on EGO POWER+ outdoor power equipment and portable power for personal, household use.
  • 3-year limited warranty on EGO POWER+ System battery packs and chargers for personal, household use.
  • 2-year extended warranty applies for the 10.0Ah battery whether sold separately (model: BA5600T) or included with any tool, if it is registered within 90 days of purchase (survey required).
  • 5-year limited warranty on CHV1600 charger, designed for use with Zero Turn Riding Mower for personal, household use.
  • 2 year/1 year limited warranty on EGO outdoor power equipment, portable power, battery packs, and chargers for professional and commercial use.

Please contact EGO Customer Service Toll-Free at 1-855-346-5656 any time you have questions or warranty claims. For questions or warranty claims on the Zero Turn Riding Mower (model: ZT4200L), please call us Toll-Free at 1-877-346-9876.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
And that's why they have a Warranty that would have covered it...
warranty doesn't cover you not storing the battery correctly like leaving it out in your shed that is not heated or insulated all winter like you would any other equipment. there is always catches in the warranty.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
warranty doesn't cover you not storing the battery correctly
Well, yeah... Like it doesn't cover storing a gas blower improperly either. It all boils down to RTFM!

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
and that is where getting a snowblowers carb cleaned is cheaper than the $200+ for new batteries. there are a lot of people that don't take proper care of their equipment and that will never change. that is where if batteries were cheaper it would not be a huge deal. if it was like $50/battery it wouldn't sting as bad as $200 especially if you only get 3 years out of it. if batteries became cheap enough i could see a lot more people embrace electric tool but the cost up front is so high it is hard to justify especially if you are not using them daily to earn you money.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Someone should make a drop in electric motor/battery combo to retrofit old snowblowers. I feel like there's a market for that!

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Someone should make a drop in electric motor/battery combo to retrofit old snowblowers. I feel like there's a market for that!
i think it would be hard to design a drop on solution for older snowblowers. i believe more newer electric 2 stage machines run 2 motors. 1 for the impeller/auger assembly and then 1 for the wheels since it would be more efficient than 1 motor spinning at 3600rpm.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Where I live, cordless blowers are pretty much limited to clearing small decks and stairs due to the quantity of snow we get. With the cost of a cordless blower you can pick up a lifetime supply of snow scoops to clear the light snow fast, and a lifetime supply of good shovels to clear the heavy snow. Personally, I made the choice before the option existed... and I might even take one of the snow scoops I bought nearly a decade ago out to replace the one I've been using. :LOL:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a b'jillion cordless drills and other such tools, but my chainsaws, snowblowers, leaf blowers, etc., are all gassers and I've never shopped for anything like that that wasn't a gasser.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Much like hand tools, cordless is for light and/or intermittent work.
Most of my cordless tools are more powerful than the corded ones they replaced. Some by quite a lot.

Large OPE isn't quite there yet. From what I have seen in videos the new Toro 2 stage seems to be about the equivalent of a 6 or 7 HP machine, which will get the job done for most people most of the time. But as many others have mentioned, the battery cost is high and the unwillingness to standardize them means you never know if you'll be able to buy replacements when you need them. Once you buy in you are essentially tethered to a manufacturer, so you need to choose wisely. I'd love to go electric for the convenience and quietness but it is certainly not a good value in the long run. My snowblower is going on its 20th season and my mower something like 13, both work as good as they did new with nothing but standard maintenance over that time.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts