Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, winter's gonna slowly creep up on us and I'm finishing some last minute work on my machine. One thing I need are new tires, those knobby little 'grass saver' tires they put on there just don't dig in at all. My machine is an Arien's 10962 and the size of tires on it currently are 4.10/3.50 6. I wasn't sure if it was like car tires where you can get slightly different sized tires as long as the rim size was the same (within reason, of course). Probably will end up with the same size tires, but they're so hard to find.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I've put two different sizes of Sno-Hogs on my 10000 series machines....if you increase the diameter, it looks cooler, but goes faster! I find the stock tires with chains work for me .....

·
Registered
2,258 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I just put these on one of my Ariens, ...great tire, ...great price:

Photo of my complete install, after I had to clean the rust, prime and paint the rim before install.:

Note: These are rotation specific ... I also got rid of the tubes, as these are tubless ... I only use tubes on my split rims.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Try a set of "Chevron" tread tires like on a roto-tiller, they usually work very good in snow and are usually stiffer with a stronger carcass, plus they dig in pretty well.
I never have to use chains with them, and they work pretty well on ice and don't pack-up with slushy snow like the "Knobby" tread does.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
@ST1100A,

My fathers Yardman Snowblower from 1970 came with solid Chevron tread tires, and it did perform very well.

However, once they wore out, I put on a set of split rims and some SnowHogs, and never looked back. All my machines have either SnowHogs , or now I moved over to the XTrac tread.

Both these treads dig in and give great traction, never use chains with them, and I never experienced any pick up of "slushy" snow, nothing but the greatest traction in all my years of snow blowing.

·
Registered
860 Posts
@ST1100A,

My fathers Yardman Snowblower from 1970 came with solid Chevron tread tires, and it did perform very well.

However, once they wore out, I put on a set of split rims and some SnowHogs, and never looked back. All my machines have either SnowHogs , or now I moved over to the XTrac tread.

Both these treads dig in and give great traction, never use chains with them, and I never experienced any pick up of "slushy" snow, nothing but the greatest traction in all my years of snow blowing.
Those tires look pretty good. They have the "V" bars in them like the "Chevron" tread and clean themselves out very well.
You don't want tires that are too wide, the wide tires can "Float" up on the snow. The skinny tires will dig down in to the harder ground for better traction with more pounds per square inch pressure on the ground than a wider tire will have.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
@Keil,

This is the first year I will be trying the XTrac, as I now have put them on 2 of my machines ... Although SnowHogs are what I used with no issues all these years, I think I will be moving over to the XTrac side for any future tire replacements. I actually just about wore out a set of SnowHogs on my Yardman main machine, going for XTrac on that after this season. :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
If you're looking to upgrade, I'd advise you only consider the Carlisle X-Trac tires.

They provide the most traction and more bite than any other snowblower tire in the industry.

X-Trac tires are widely considered as state of the art and used as original equipment on Ariens and several other premium snowblower brands (such as Toro and John Deere).

I certainly have no complaints with them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts