Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should I be looking for when buying a used 10hp Tecumseh motor sitting on a persons bench not running?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
??? Really no way to tell what your buying ... could be cleaned up looking great, but not running could be exactly that ... Why is it not running ..?

Curious, what snowblower are you putting a 10 HP on?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
It may be good, it may be bad you never know until you bolt it down on a bench to start it.

I would walk away if you have to repower a good snow caster with a new power plant.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
??? Really no way to tell what your buying ... could be cleaned up looking great, but not running could be exactly that ... Why is it not running ..?

Curious, what snowblower are you putting a 10 HP on?

It a Noma 10/27 snowblower.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the engine doesn't run you have 2 projects now. Getting it running and mounting on the Noma:surprise: If you mean in general what to look for on a loose engine, measure the center crank point from your old to the new, ground up. Go up under the gas tank and squeeze the fuel line, if it's hard it needs to be replaced. Check the oil, if it's low or black consider how much effort the owner has put into presenting it for sale (indicates lack of prior care, IMO). Not running is a $50 boat anchor at best if it has compression. If the owner says it runs, fire it up. You can hold them on the ground running if they don't have a big c-clamp to try it up on a bench. They vibrate quite a bit, but can easily be held firmly and run on the ground. Pull the starter handle out and look for frayed rope, lower price if it is. Make sure it retracts all the way. Grab hold of the Crank and pull up and down side to side, should not move much.
When the person says there selling a good running motor and they have a picture of it siting on a bench.

·
Registered
871 Posts
whats the price, it should reflect a non starting motor price, if u know how to fix then maybe worth your while.
btw ive seen motors run on the ground attached to nothing. donyboy has a vid on it.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I would put a 212 Preditor on it or a snow motor from smallenginesupply.com.....I don't mind swapping a good newer Tecumseh if I know the engine...or the person selling it....

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Yes they can be started on the ground, I don’t usually sell engines but have a place to bolt it down if i do. All depends on who is selling also.

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
if it were free or maybe 50 bucks at most i would take a chance after looking at oil for metal and checking the compression.

without it running , you are holding all the cards.

·
Registered
125 Posts
What should I be looking for when buying a used 10hp Tecumseh motor sitting on a persons bench not running?
Depends on what you're paying for it. An oil analysis would help and give you information I am not sure there is another way to obtain.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Not running and no way to run?

If it can be run, then look for blue smoke when throttling up or down.

check obvious stuff like rust on the sparkplug. Check to see what the oil looks like. Gas leaks, etc.

Once you got the engine home, you could do a compression test and a cylinder leak test to understand better what you just bought.

I see the 10 HP engine advertised on CL for $75 - $150.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts