Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - new here and new to snow blowers so please forgive any naive questions..... I’m going to view a used Yamaha 1028 later today. My budget is pretty low and this machine is advertised at €500 and ‘works well’. Having read about the model it looks like it would be a better machine than I though my €500 would bug me if a new(ish) machine. But I guess if it’s a wreck then I could be buying myself an expensive problem. I’d welcome any views on what I should look for when viewing the machine and also any views on what major items could cost to repair if they go wrong. By the way, i live in the French Alps we get a fair bit of snow pretty constantly throughout the winter. And I have two separate parking areas to clear joined by a sloping pathway (hence I like the idea of the tracked model). Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
You want to look for anything bent, rusted, worn belts, shake the auger rakes and impeller shaft to check for looseness, wear on tires, rusted rims. Make sure everything works and smoothly. Find out the year, who's done the annual servicing, maintenance, and repairs, if a shop check with them. The more snow you get, the more use the machine has on it thus the shorter the life of the machine. Yamaha is an excellent machine, one of the best according to others on here, but are parts available to you? Are you able to do a compression test or a cylinder leak down test? It's there a guarantee? Even 30 days or a snowstorm or two or three.

If this is 500 Swiss francs, that is $548 US dollars which is incredibly cheap. Here it should be 2-5 times that amount depending the condition and age. I don't know what new or used snowblowers sell for in Switzerland.

·
Registered
417 Posts
If the currency is in Euros, then the exchange is as follows: 500 € = $620.08 USD. Still a good deal.

·
Retired Moderator
9,913 Posts
:welcome: to SBF Rbh101

Please go into the "User CP" and add a location so we're not guessing :wink2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies and info everyone. UserCP location updated ! Actually I’m just outside a ski resort called Morzine in a French village called la Côte d’Arbroz. Were about 45 mins from both Geneva and also Mont Blanc.

I viewed and purchased the Yamaha tonight. It seems very sound. Apparently bought three or four years ago by an old gent who rarely used it and has not had to go into a home. It seems in good condition, paintwork all good and still black on the rotor/impeller etc. Tracks also look little used so i hope this points to a low hours machine. I think it’s in need of a good service though as has been standing a while so I’ll take it into my local place where they deal in Yamaha (as well as Husqvarna).

The only issue the guy pointed out to me was that it doesn’t operate in first gear forward. I didn’t actually try this out but I’d welcome any thoughts.

A quick look at the Id plate tells me it’s a Yamaha 824. Wheras the model number on the handlebars is YS1028. Maybe they’re the same thing.

Oh.... and it cost €450 which is $558 at today’s rate. He knocked €50 off as the battery needs replacing so electric start couldn’t be tested.

Fingers crossed and looking forward to our next snow storm.

Thanks again for your comments and info. I shall update my garage soon !

·
Super Moderator
2,677 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the blower. You won't find a lot of people here with Yamahas around here as they currently are not sold in the US, Canada - Yes, US - No. My suggestion would be to see if you can find a manual for it. Second would be (assuming it's a track unit), find out what it takes to properly maintain them. I have worked a time or two on tracked units in the past (not Yamahas though). They can have a tendency to rust up, so find out what it needs for maintenance and do it religiously.

Paul

·
Registered
950 Posts

Have any pictures of the machine?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts