Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had made considerable progress on my "HSS1332ATD" build, and I'd like to make some updates to my first post, but I don't know what to use as a pictures host in order to have sequential pictures under each description.

Using links or attachments would not work for this.

I'd like to have the entire process description on my first post on that thread with a picture or two under each paragraph.

What is the best photo host currently...?

(I used to use photobucket, and it worked real well for this purpose, until it stopped working.....:sad2:)

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
photobucket works great. dont know about ads because i use adblock plus on google chrome which i HIGHLY recommend for any and all internet browsing with all the invasive/scam/autoredirect ads nowadays

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
photobucket works great.
You must have missed the recent (well, its been 2 months now) blow-up about photobucket. Photobucket does no longer work great! its dead and useless for photo hosting in posts, unless you want to pay photobucket $400 a year. Here is one of my webpages where I need to go through and re-upload all the photos:

https://scotlawrence.github.io/maps/index.html

there are thousands, millions, billions of dead photo links like that in webpages, blogs and forum posts all around the world..Here is the story:

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/01/photobucket-just-broke-billions-photos-embedded-web/

Most people will never bother to fix their personal dead links..they will just remain broken forever. Here is my experience with photo hosting:

Originally, going back 15 years, I used imageshack for many years..
until my photos began to randomly disappear.. I did nothing to make the photos disappear..imageshack just randomly begins deleting your photos after a year or so..

so then I switched to photobucket..until my photos began to be held hostage for a month at a time because my traffic "exceeds bandwidth":

(this was years before the recent photobucket issue)
It was my Ariens snowblower page that was tripping the switch! ;)

I had to wait a month for my photos to return..meanwhile my webpages are useless because the photo links are all dead..

You know the saying.."you get what you pay for"..pay nothing, get nothing..

So finally I wised-up and realized I need to pay for reliable service..after doing a lot of research, I picked smugmug:

http://scotlawrence.smugmug.com

http://www.smugmug.com

smugmug for unlimited photos + Github and google for my webpages = a perfect package. Smugmug is $40 a year, $3.33 a month, which I consider well worth it to no longer have photos hassles..

I paid $35 for my first year because I entered another users email when I signed up. I think if you enter my email address when you sign up, you can get $5 off.. if anyone is interested, try entering scotlawrence at gmail dot com for $5 off your first year.

So since i switched to smugmug, I have had no photos issues..
yeah, I pay for it, but its worth it. If my *entire* webpage collection:

www.scotlawrence.com

If I was still using photobucket, I would be screwed..I would have literally thousands of photo links to manually update and change..it would have taken forever..im glad I ditched photobucket years ago..I still have a few older pages that were never updated that do have some dead photobucket links now, but they are a tiny percentage of my overall webpage collection..

Scot

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You must have missed the recent (well, its been 2 months now) blow-up about photobucket. Photobucket does no longer work great! its dead and useless for photo hosting in posts, unless you want to pay photobucket $400 a year.

Scot
I saw part of that thread. I just found out about the $400 a year.

I'm going to give GoogleDrive a try, I uploaded one picture on my "HSS1328ATD" thread and seems to work well so far. I'll update if changes happen.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Thanks..I was afraid of that, it doesnt work. :(
Here is what im seeing:

Google traditionally doesnt allow hotlinking from google photos or google drive, for the same reasons Photobucket recently killed all their hotlinked photos.

I have read that there are maybe ways around it, but google finds the tricks and shuts them down..You are probably seeing the photo when you go to that thread, because you are logged into your own google account on your PC, but I suspect no one else can see it..

I'll put a question in that post asking if anyone else can see the photo..

Scot

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks..I was afraid of that, it doesnt work. :(

Scot
I guess it was too good to be true then.... :plain:

Your theory is correct though as I can see the picture on the post.
I'm using a "free" account anyways, I'll look into the allowances with paid accounts and if reasonably price I'll likely give it a try....

This is what I see in my screen:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Scot,

Is there a way that our forum could support what the following Yamaha Forum does?

Yamaha Snowblower Fan Club - Yamaha YS828T for sale in CT $1050

There you can upload the pictures from your PC directly to your text instead of as an attachment at the bottom.

Check the thread and you'll see that it seems to work better (much better I'd say, except for the occasional sideways picture which I think has happened to me here as well :grin:) than the "attachments" on our forum at the bottom of the text (this is just my opinion).

This feature (if doable) would allow the making of detailed procedures followed by pictures on the very first post (is what I'd like to do on my "HSS1328ATD" thread).

Maybe there is a feature on this forum that allows to do this as well and I just don't know it...?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I host my own. Well I pay for web hosting. I have several domain names that I have had for many years. It's less than $5 a month for all of them. I've got threads on forums that are 15 years old, but the photos are still there because they are on my host at my domain.
I hate the thumbnail attachment (better than nothing) feature here because I often close the page when I am done looking and then realize I just closed all of MSB forums. Putting the image directly in the thread is way better.
Note that this example photo lives at dbert.com. Not a coincidence.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I host my own. Well I pay for web hosting. I have several domain names that I have had for many years. It's less than $5 a month for all of them. I've got threads on forums that are 15 years old, but the photos are still there because they are on my host at my domain.
How complex is hosting your own pictures?
I'm liking this idea better (seems like this way you have more control over your pictures) :smile2:

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
How complex is hosting your own pictures?
I'm liking this idea better (seems like this way you have more control over your pictures) :smile2:
If you want to host *only* pictures, then you dont need a domain. just go for one of the photo hostoing services, like smugmug.

Getting a domain means you have your own webpage address, like www.scotlawrence.com, you pay an annual fee for that (mine is only $15 a year with godaddy, which is only for the domain, no additiional photo hosting), then many of the domain services will *also* let you upload photos and files as well (usually for an additional fee over the price of the domain hosting) which then allows you to keep all the files for your personal webpage in one place.

So if you want your own webpage, with a domain name (webpage address) that you pick yourself, then look into a domain/webpage hosting service..if you want *only* photo hosting, then there is no need to go with a domain, you dont need it.

Scot

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Scot,
I took the 14day trial with SmugMug, I posted 2 pictures on my "HSS1328ATD" thread.
I left a question there to see if other members can see them. We'll see how it goes......

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a small desktop system in my basement ($150; could be done for cheaper, but this was the speed/price point I was happy with) running Xubuntu (Linux; free) with a webserver (Apache; free) installed on it, and DynDNS linking a name (gaeinggai.mine.nu) right to my home network for about $40 a year ($3.33/month). Plus electricity, which is very likely somewhere south of $6 a month, for a grand total of less than $9.33 a month.

This allows me to drop in entire directories:

Index of /snowblower

Or single images:

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Started using IMGUR and seems pretty good so far, Pretty close to the way photobucket worked.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts