Snowblower Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
First snow thrower was a used 1979 Ariens ST724. I got it in 2004. I traded $150 worth of labor for it. This winter it didn't want to start. No Spark! I didn't feel like messing about with a condenser and points system so I re-powered it with a Predator 212 engine.

Didn't even get a chance to try it with the new engine before selling to my father because he needed it more than I did. I will have to visit him and try it out.

Now I have to decide if I still want to get the original Tecumseh running and if I do, what do I do with it?

Reactions: snowflitesly

·
Registered
109 Posts
My first blower is my signature, still going, never had the head off.
Sid

the '66? omg man!! Props on keeping it going!!! happy 51rst birthday for the murray 20sixer!!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Craftsman 4/22 single stage snowblower from 1980s. I think it was about 22 inch wide. I think it was 4 hp, 4 stroke engine. Can't remember if it was piece of junk or I just didn't know how to take care of it and it was falling apart and not run right. My family liked everything from Craftsman back in the day, until we bought this snowblower. Had it a few years and decided to cut our losses and move on.

Bought a Toro Powerlite 16" after giving the Craftsman away to someone that knows what to do with it. The Powerlite was a noisy little bugger, but it was fun and quite peppy. So simple, lightweight, reliable, and so easy to work on. I still have one today, not the same one, but a 2007 model. I believe it was one of the last years of production for the Powerlite.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I bought my first house in 1981 and it came with an old Craftsman 18 (Homko) in the garage... I replaced it in 1987 with a new Honda HS80K1TAS, whose GX240 engine has just been transferred to my wood chipper.

·
Registered
163 Posts
vets day 1987 wife called me at work to say there was 18 inches on the ground, stopped at the near to where i was working toro dealer and got his very last machine a 624 powershift ran it till 2007 when i found a new looking 97 824 powershift fast forward to 2017 when i got a 928 powermax ohxe which isn't built anywhere like a PS

·
Premium Member
5,214 Posts
after being alive for over 50 year s and shovelling snow I finally bought my first blower at about age 55-56.

a honda hs624 wheeled. still have it.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
My first snowblower was an ancient Homko. The local community airport used it for 20+ years and sold it to me for $15 in 1981. Other than change the oil and a new spark plug, I never had to replace or fix a single thing. It actually worked reasonably well with the steel wheels. I sold it for $10 and bought an old Toro Snow Hound about 5 years later.
Homko.jpg

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had never owned a snowblower until we bought a house. I tried shoveling the driveway one time and said F-THAT. This was a few years ago. So I went out what any normal person does, I picked up every single free snowblower that was on facebook marketplace, craigslist, letgo, offer up, etc... Created a fleet of over a dozen snowblowers to see which ones worked the best. And it didn't snow. So I sold them all and kept the Ariens st824 and restored that one and I've been using that one since. But I did realize that there are plenty of really good sub $100 dollar blowers out there that need very minimal work and its a fun way to make a little extra money to fund my hobbies.

·
Registered
292 Posts
2003 Ariens 1128 PRO. First bunch of years, very little snow. I felt dump blowing 3" with it. Then 2011-2013 hit, with multiple blizzards, 18" plus storms, and the grand daddy in 2013, 38 " legitimate with 5 foot drifts. Basically the hero of the neighborhood when others had 5 horsepower 2 stages and single stage machines.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My elderly neighbors gave me a 1987 Toro 521 when they moved into assisted living. Never really ran that great. I like(d) to shovel for exercise so I didn’t use it much. Found this site and it inspired me to re-power with a Predator. Great little machine now.

But the first one I bought was a used single stage Toro. Two stroke with quick chute. I love it. For most of the snow we get here in Minneapolis I can clear it as fast as I can walk. For most of my life I thought they were inferior, but they definitely have their place.

Reactions: rod330

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
My inlaws gave me an old single stage 2 stroke NOMA Grand Prix snowblower after we bought our first house around 1990, it was a real POS, so ended up shoveling most of the time. We bought my father a new Yardman snowblower in the early 90's, so I inherited his 1967 Ariens (which I still have). In the late 90's I rescued a 2 stroke 1983 Toro power shovel from the trash.
When we moved to our current home in 2018, it came with a 2010 MTD Gold snowblower. It wasn't up to the task of a large driveway in the snowbelt, so sold it and purchased my first snow blower a 2018 Ariens 28 SHO. In 2019 I purchased an electric Earthwise blower for the 2 second story decks.

snowblwer line up1.jpg

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
How can anyone toss that 2 stroke Toro power shovel in the trash? Shame.
It is amazing what people discard. I drained the old fuel, added new gas/oil mix and she fired right up. (I picked up an early 80's Stihl chainsaw around the same time and all it needed was fresh fuel)
Have not had to do anything since. It is not the most practical snow machine, but it sounds cool and will really sends out a rooster tail of powdery snow. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was looking for that power shovel several years ago. Never had any luck. Those were as rare as pink unicorns. I'm sure they are fun to use.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
my yard machine in front of the Ariens was the first blower that i bought. had a blown up friction disk i assume from someone power shifting. luckily i had the another yard machine that was just roached to take parts off of. otherwise it would have been an expensive fix. i think this winter will be the 4'th winter with it and i have been pretty happy with how it performs.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Wow, I've never seen a friction disk that was that bad!
well when the rubber ring jumps off and you go metal on metal it isn't going to look pretty. i ended up re-using that rubber ring and it still seems to work as it should.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts