Snowblower Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Was and I still have my Simplicity 860. Living in the suburbs I think my neighbors thought I was crazy for buying such a monster, but with the huge dip in the driveway and the shape of the road made it near impossible to clear it with a shovel.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Bought this from my Dad when he upgraded to a bigger machine. I had just purchased my first house and needed “something”. We both take care of our machines as you can tell from the picture.

It had a great Tecumseh engine that never failed me but man did those tiny wheels suck. I basically had to push it everywhere when the snow got deep but I was in my early twenties so what did I care.

I thought it was special because it was a John Deere, now I know better. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
My brother in law has this same Deere snowblower. He went all out and bought a Deere lawn tractor as well. I also went through the Deere phase looking to buy anything Deere. I also knew better. Some Deere stuff are good, some aren't so good. SB14 mowers were good.

For the wheels, I think the newer threads Xtrac have been well reviewed. They really have tall lugs that bite well into the snow. You may want to check them out.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
My first snowblower was what my parents bought in the early 60s when I was an adolescent. It was a used 50s Toro Power Handle with points. It worked, sometimes. We had the snowblower and rototiller attachments. My father as a very good knowledgeable backyard mechanic worked on it but still it only ran sometimes.

My first that I bought was in 1979 I bought a used 70s Gravely Convertible 12hp cast iron Kohler, 2 ground speeds low & high, 2 front attachment speeds low & high. As mentioned in previous posts, nothing stops it. This is the best snowblower other a crazy Japanese monster machine or one designed for ski resorts.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've bought a few parts for a snowblower in my life but never bought a complete machine.Too many people giving away ' junk ' blowers keeps me supplied just fine

·
Registered
536 Posts
My first is my '66 Sears/Murray, they were built like tanks, it will outlast me. The only machine I would add to my collection would be the 3 stage version of that machine.
Sid

·
Registered
113 Posts
The so called 3 stage snowblowers are actually 2 stage. There are 2 side augers and 1 front auger which spins at a slow speed that makes up the first stage. And then there's the impeller blower section that makes the 2nd stage. That's what my engineering side would say it is.

Then, there's the marketing side that 3 must be better than 2.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Then, there's the marketing side that 3 must be better than 2.
Although some "3-stage" owners have reported that that center auger both interferes with driving into hardened snow pack and can easily get deformed when dealing with ice chunks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Although some "3-stage" owners have reported that that center auger both interferes with driving into hardened snow pack and can easily get deformed when dealing with ice chunks.

Come to think of it, the center auger must be spinning at high speed, same as the impeller. I don't see how that gearbox can make the all 3 augers spin at a lower speed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My first was a Moto Mower Snow Shark that I still have but the 6hp motor seized many yrs ago but the blower is in excellent shape with all new chains and 2 spare clutch pulleys, thinking of putting a late model Honda on it just to play around with, Got a new hss928ctd last January.

·
Registered
120 Posts
A new 1989 Single Stage Cub Cadet 321 (3hp, 21"), for $300 out the door. You know, your basic MTD single stage at the time. I owned it for roughly 15 years. I don't remember what I did with it. I still use the older MTD single stages.

Although I just fixed up a 8hp 26" MTD 2-stage that was given to me and is in great condition so I will give it a try this year.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Come to think of it, the center auger must be spinning at high speed, same as the impeller.
Yup...
Next Level Power
Three-stage technology features an accelerator that spins 10 times faster than the augers to break down and quickly clear heavy, wet snow..

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
The impeller is not connected to the gearbox, it is spinning at the speed of the shafts, so high you can't see it spinning (almost); the auger spins slowly through the gearbox at the same speed I am guessing as the auger blades.
Yup...
Next Level Power
Three-stage technology features an accelerator that spins 10 times faster than the augers to break down and quickly clear heavy, wet snow..

This is interesting (in theory). Let's wait for the actual use reviews.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts