Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to like weather.com (primarily 10 day and hourly view), but they recently redesigned their site, and I never warmed up (almost a pun) to the new format. It is now my second choice, still ok for hourly.

Previously second choice (but now primary) is Accuweather.com, set to show the month, on list (not calendar) setting. Have looked at some others, but never really liked weather underground or any of the others. Occasionally look at national weather service, and am amused at how shamelessly other sites are about plagiarizing their verbiage.

The part that really surprises me is how widely accuweather.com and weather.com vary in terms of their forecasts. Obviously, they rely on different weather models. Still comparing to see who seems more accurate.

What do you like? Why? Any paid sites that might be worth considering?

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I second Wunderground. They have been extremely accurate. I also like that they show day and night precipitation and temps on the initial information forcast.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I always used to rely on the local broadcast tv stations and their websites. They were always accurate until about 5 years ago. I think the stations canned their meteorologists and started copy and pasting forecasts from the places mentioned above. Now I'm pretty much back to the weather rock.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I don't like the local channels for a couple reasons. I feel like they no longer have real meteorologist personal,like Bob E said but just copy and paste. There just reporters and anchor men. We need more people like Jim Cantore. Also they dony broadcast often enough. New updates are to far in between. Also the Weather Channel is guilty of forgetting little Rhody. Im in Harrissville RI and have Worcester Mass amount of snowfall. Yet all I keep hearing is Boston,Boston, Boston.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
I use three.. Wunderground, Accuweather (both the main page videos, and the "my zip code" page), and NECN. Yeah I'm kinda a weather-nut :cool:

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
noaa.gov

·
Registered
279 Posts
As a motorcyclist, I tend to check the weather pretty often for rain during the riding season. I've found accuweather to be overly optimistic and weather.com to be overly pessimistic. I take those 2 forecasts, add in the live radar from intellicast, and make my own decision.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
As a motorcyclist, I tend to check the weather pretty often for rain during the riding season. I've found accuweather to be overly optimistic and weather.com to be overly pessimistic. I take those 2 forecasts, add in the live radar from intellicast, and make my own decision.
for my real travels on the Goldwing I take my AT&T phone cause it is better for local weather than my T-Mobile phone. what I'm looking for is a weather site for Canada, I seem to be doing more riding in Canada lately

·
Registered
279 Posts
for my real travels on the Goldwing I take my AT&T phone cause it is better for local weather than my T-Mobile phone. what I'm looking for is a weather site for Canada, I seem to be doing more riding in Canada lately
How does the roaming change apply to the data usage in Canada?

·
Registered
215 Posts
wunderground fan also and weathercell.com

Also a motorcyclist you have to keep tabs on the weather.
I am not sure if weathercell has an app but it has some great quick links. To either radar map among other sources and sites.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Tropicaltidbits.com and ncep site for model runs.
For information from local meteorologists and weather enthusiasts I read the local forums at americanwx.com. Lots of mets that really know their stuff on that board. Although a lot of the technical terms and acronyms they use are beyond my knowledge.

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
I take those 2 forecasts, add in the live radar from intellicast, and make my own decision.
I used to do about the same thing, until I started using "Dark Sky," which is a weather app for my phone. While it may not be 100%, they are pretty accurate at doing basically what I used to try to do myself.

Their report may go something like this, "Rain starting in 15 min., ending 22 minutes later."

I've used it to great success in getting off a lake, while fishing, before bad weather hit, hitting a no precip window when taking out the garbage etc.

This is pretty representative of how it has worked for me. One day I got to the lake to go out fishing and the wx looked a little iffy so I checked Dark Sky. It said, "Rain starting in 12 minutes, ending 16 minutes later." I stayed in my van while the rain (poured down) played out, to the minute, like they predicted."

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
How does the roaming change apply to the data usage in Canada?
I did two iron but saddle sore 1000 rides last year and didn't check weather on a canadaian website. the U.S. websites I checked said we had good weather for the ride with a low of 45f and a high of 58f. we had cold wet weather for most of the trip in june
the second IBA ride was in august and I didn't bother checking weather before leaving home. I would like to find a good weather site for Canada before my next IBA ride this june otherwise i'll try the cbc website, it should be good enough seeing that I will travel through ontario

1 - 20 of 22 Posts