Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a blower for 1 to 3 or 4 inches snow depth over small gravel.

Only need it to clear a narrow 200 ft. walkway and clear a few ft. around the car and behind it. Probably 5 times a season.

Not a spacious job in other words. I already have a 2 stage but only like getting it out for the deep stuff. A new machine as used stuff is non-existant where I am.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
an ariens sno-tek 24" would be a good choice imho.....two stage machine, economical, far better build than most or all other econo machines. it would not work well with one inch of snow , but 3 or 4 inches while moving fast would be ok. other than that......a high end leaf blower and/or a snow scoop shovel.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
People have said that a single-stage is not good on gravel, presumably because the paddles (which hit the ground) grab the gravel, and throw it.

So, for machines, a 2-stage may still be better with your gravel. Unless maybe you used a single-stage, with the front end constantly raised, so you'd have to push it forward (vs it pulling itself, with the paddles hitting the ground).

Can you use your 2-stage for this, even if it's overkill? A snow scoop might become a pain, with the walkway being 200 feet, but I don't know.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Best of both worlds...

Toro Snow Master, has skids shoes for height adjustment, paddles don't touch ground, self propelled, light weight and fast.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
I second the Snowmaster suggestion. Just make sure that the skid shoes are adjusted high enough so the scraper bar is not catching gravel. Fastest method possible with personal pace drive. Just make sure to aim the chute in a direction where a stray piece of high velocity gravel won't do any damage!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Maybe a cordless electric blower would work? A lot of them don't scrape the ground, though they probably won't leave as much clearance as a Snowmaster. A light snow only, small area supplement to a 2-stage seems like the ideal place for a cordless electric blower.

Another option would be modding a single stage. It won't end up self-propelled, but you could add wheels or skid shoes to one and lift the paddles off the ground.

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
I second the Snowmaster suggestion. Just make sure that the skid shoes are adjusted high enough so the scraper bar is not catching gravel. Fastest method possible with personal pace drive. Just make sure to aim the chute in a direction where a stray piece of high velocity gravel won't do any damage!

I have to agree a small single stage with sufficient adjustment should handle light snow like has been mentioned. If fact, it might even be worth considering replacing the skids with wheels for your situation. Have the bucket high enough to clear the gravel but I think wheels might even work better than skids on gravel.

Just some thoughts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts