Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the layout of my place. What would you charge to clear it using a two stage SB? I'm not looking for salting or sanding prices or cleared to the surface. I'm just trying to calculate the cost of ownership of my new machine versus hiring it out.

I thought the price of my new machine was very high but it seems like it was pretty low considering I've already used it three times, it would have been five times but it got here a week and two light snow storms late.

The white areas are where I can put the snow.

I'm just looking for rough guesstimates.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
originally thought $50, but with a second look id say at least $75 . and that price is just because i enjoy moving snow. ( i have never moved snow for $ since i was a kid with a shovel )

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm gonna start by saying location is very important....as labor charges vary drastically from city to city, state to state...for example, here in the Toronto area, your looking at atleast $200/month for something like that wether it snows or or not. And you mentioned "using a two stage", but unfortunately that is not up to you what the company would use. You would not be able to dictate what machinery they use...they could use a truck with a shovel for all you know, really depends on the lot and area, and where snow can be put.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Many companies in my area also use the flat rate/winter service, where you'd pay a flat rate for the area wether it snowed or not.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I would not even think of hiring some one .... If you had your own 2 stage you can do as needed when it is needed. Blowing or plowing snow is a rewarding job, I plowed and blew snow for our school district for 32 years and now 6 years since I took the golden hand shake. REWARDING yes because when you are done you can look and see what you did and how much better it is. vacuum the house and when done you can hardly see the difference, cut the lawn and the dandelions are still there.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
3,455 Posts
ou mentioned "using a two stage", but unfortunately that is not up to you what the company would use. You would not be able to dictate what machinery they use...they could use a truck with a shovel for all you know, really depends on the lot and area, and where snow can be put.
With all due respect, I beg to differ on this....
For the most part yes if it is up to them, they can use what ever they want to clean the snow with, but if a customer particularly requests snowblowing instead of plowing you have to stick to it (who PAYS decides, is their preference). I've seen a few scenarios where it gets done.
Now you can put a massive snowblower on one of the trucks (or a few companies here put snowblowers on small skid steers) and get done a lot faster, but you will have to snowblow it.

I as a customer would prefer snowblowing over plowing as well.

:snow48:

·
Super Moderator
6,673 Posts
can I use all the lawn area in front and behind the house and on the side of the barn or would I be restricted to just the areas you have highlighted? it would make a difference if you had a lot of snow. I do my elderly neighbors for free and sometimes the snow on their front lawn is as high as their front porch or about even with the hedges, a good four feet high or I will start at the occupied house south of me and blow snow north to the vacant houses north of me so I can blow snow into the backyards of those properties

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
.....what about a one time $ value ? Eric is just trying to figure out how much he is ,or could be, saving by being a diy guy as compared to farming it out ,after his purchase of a new sb.

·
Registered
149 Posts
For the most part yes if it is up to them, they can use what ever they want to clean the snow with, but if a customer particularly requests snowblowing instead of plowing you have to stick to it (who PAYS decides, is their preference). I've seen a few scenarios where it gets done.
Now you can put a massive snowblower on one of the trucks (or a few companies here put snowblowers on small skid steers) and get done a lot faster, but you will have to snowblow it.

Absolutely right, customer can request it... but wether the company agrees to it or not is up to them. They're going to charge a very high premium for it, especially if they're busy, and have many other homes to go do. I know a few companies that clean snow, and speed is their main priority. They're not going to walk up and down your driveway with a snowblower for 45 minutes or so, if they can plow it in 5 minutes, and have a guy or two with a shovel cleaning up against walls and such...

It really all comes down to how much the person is willing to pay, and how much time the company is willing to give you for the amount of money agreed on.

I've also seen various machines used on the same property. Snow blowers in tight spots, and plows in open areas where allowed.

·
Premium Member
3,455 Posts
Absolutely right, customer can request it... but wether the company agrees to it or not is up to them.
I agree with your point as the company could agree or not.
All I tried to say was, if I want my property snowblowed and I am paying for that type of service, I am getting it or I would get another company to do it.

The OP is asking for a estimate on the service and he wants it snowblowed. I have no idea how companies charge.

·
Registered
149 Posts
the $200/month I stated would be price to plow. For a company to come in and do that property in a decent amount of time with snowblowers, they'd probably have 3 blowers working at the same time, and that all costs money, more equipment, more labor.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Here's the layout of my place. What would you charge to clear it using a two stage SB? I'm not looking for salting or sanding prices or cleared to the surface. I'm just trying to calculate the cost of ownership of my new machine versus hiring it out.

I thought the price of my new machine was very high but it seems like it was pretty low considering I've already used it three times, it would have been five times but it got here a week and two light snow storms late.

The white areas are where I can put the snow.

I'm just looking for rough guesstimates.

Thanks!

Assuming paying $50-75 each storm, a SB may average $800 if not more. So 10-16 storms, average 4-5per year, and your looking at evening out in 2-3 years. Now add the doing it yourself price, is it worth it? Anyone understand that jargin? I may not ;)

-efisher-

·
Premium Member
5,200 Posts
around here they charge between 400-500 for the season. guys will come over with a snowblower for about 40-50 bucks a pop. depends on area needed to blow.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Where I'm from, most do not price it out by the snow fall...they price it out by the week, month, or season, depending on demand, and size of company. And you pay wether it snows or not. So you may make your money's worth if it snows allot that year, or vise versa for the company if it doesn't.

Unless we're talking about little jimmy from down the street using his dads blower to clean your property....that's different.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Assuming paying $50-75 each storm, a SB may average $800 if not more. So 10-16 storms, average 4-5per year, and your looking at evening out in 2-3 years. Now add the doing it yourself price, is it worth it? Anyone understand that jargin? I may not ;)

-efisher-
That's about what I was thinking. I just wanted a rough idea of what should I expect to pay if a guy with a snow blower who's hustling up some side work. The only ad I found with a price in it read, "Starting at $25" so I figured that would be for a short single car driveway and a 150 feet or so of sidewalk. With about 3,000 sf of surface area I figured $70-75 for my place. I think a grand for my machine was cheap in the long run. As far as being worth it to do it myself, I've found I usually get much better results when I do things myself. It can be tough to find people who take pride in their work, who'll stand behind it and make things right when they go wrong.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

You're right, you do what the customer asks or don't take the job. If I was actually hiring it out I'd just want the snow moved and nothing damaged in the process. If they could do that I'd be happy but I'm happier having my own machine. I'm always the first customer on the list when I'm the boss. Plus, when it gets bad I can help out family too.

I specified a two stage blower for two reasons. First, I bought a two stage blower so I wanted to compare apples to apples. Second, I know how long it takes me to do it so I wanted to know about what it would cost per man hour, it wouldn't matter if it's one machine running or two.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Judging by the size of the area and having to blow it all to one side - it would take a pretty substantial blower in any decent snowfall. It has to toss it far enough to not make the pile increasingly difficult or you will be making a lot of passes. Time is money they say - I would guess about $150 for a plow job, and about $250 at least for somebody who has a blower big enough to whip it out quickly - like a skid steer. most everybody is going to be plow only. Depending on the snowfall in your area - you could buy a decent tractor/blower combo for around $2k used. So, I guess it's how dependent you want to be and how much snow you get question....... If you do the tractor you get a tool you can use for other stuff too......

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I'd politely hand her the shovel next time and have her tell you how much it's worth .... The snow blower, that is.

Out on a limb here, but I can't imagine questioning yourself on this purchase or you wouldn't have done it. Despite what others would charge in any given scenario, you already know the value of that machine, to you.

If you're trying to convince yourself $1K is justifiable for a capable snow blower to clean the area you illustrated, then in a word: YES! :) Congrats on a good purchase that will save you time and the aggravation of needing to have others do it for you, in their time and their way.

Someday, when you have doubts, call a guy and have him do it for you. Compare. If you're miles ahead by sitting and watching, then sell the thing and recoup $800. You're out $200 for the venture.

Seems you can't go wrong.

You're right, you do what the customer asks or don't take the job. If I was actually hiring it out I'd just want the snow moved and nothing damaged in the process. If they could do that I'd be happy but I'm happier having my own machine. I'm always the first customer on the list when I'm the boss. Plus, when it gets bad I can help out family too.

I specified a two stage blower for two reasons. First, I bought a two stage blower so I wanted to compare apples to apples. Second, I know how long it takes me to do it so I wanted to know about what it would cost per man hour, it wouldn't matter if it's one machine running or two.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd politely hand her the shovel next time and have her tell you how much it's worth ....

Out on a limb here, but I can't imagine questioning yourself on this purchase or you wouldn't have done it. Despite what others would charge in any given scenario, you already know the value of that machine, to you.

If you're trying to convince yourself $1K is justifiable for a capable snow blower to clean the area you illustrated, then in a word: YES! :) Congrats on a good purchase that will save you time and the aggravation of needing to have others do it for you, in their time and their way.

Someday, when you have doubts, call a guy and have him do it for you. Compare. If you're miles ahead by sitting and watching, then sell the thing and recoup $800. You're out $200 for the venture.

Seems you can't go wrong.
You're completely right, it's a "...good purchase..."

I think the couple of hundred dollars for a new machine over a good clean used model was well worth it. I usually look for used equipment and vehicles but this is a case where the long term ownership justifies the expense. These things seem to last forever so I spread the difference in price out over the 15 years I expect to use it and buying a high quality used SB in good condition would only save me $16 a year. And that's if the used SB never needed repaired.

It's just fun to see how much a quality tool saves you through the years.

My wife loves shoveling snow, she would love for us to do it but she knows my health issues make this job too physically demanding for me.

We bought all the tools to remodel our home a many years ago, table saw, router, nail guns, air compressor, Graco paint sprayer, all the tools needed for sheetrocking, tiling, plumbing and electrical, and when we were done we had a completely remodel home for less than half of what it would have cost to hire pros. We gutted it to the bearing walls, changed the floor plan, rebuilt it completely and the only things we hired out was replacing the roof and laying the carpet. We got a lot of help from the family.

Years later we still have a garage full of tools that continue to save us money. Everyone in the family has been able to use them too.

But sell my snowblower?! Man, that's just crazy. I almost never sell tools. I have in the past but I always regret it eventually. It may be many years later but I always need the tool I got rid of and then I have to pay more to replace it.

I thought about how nice it would be to sit and watch someone moving snow for me but then like you said I'm at someone else's mercy. And I'd be paying someone else to have all the fun.

After clearing a bunch of heavy wet snow yesterday without breaking a sweat I think I'd upgrade this to a "Great Purchase!"

1 - 20 of 37 Posts