Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t see where you can tell by the snapper serial number. It has a Tecumseh HMSK80 engine with a DOM code of 4230A. Researching that it said all 4 digit (number) DOM were made “prior” to 2004 and that the first digit represents the year. So is this as old as 1994?

By the way, let me puff my chest out on this find. This thing doesn’t look like it has been used 5 times. It is built like an absolute tank! The carb was one of the worst I have ever seen. Many minutes with carb cleaner and a brass brush to get the bowl clean. I do have the heater box, just not installed yet.

Anyhow, got it for $30!!!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting
Water Gas Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Motor vehicle

·
Registered
278 Posts
I, have a 8265. My DOM is 6227D. If I am correct mine was made in 1996. is that just for the motor. The ser. no on the blower is 75095453. Been looking to see if I could find out when this was made. bought it at a garage sale. Replaced the belts. did a little work on it. I, will see how it well, it will work this winter.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I don’t see where you can tell by the snapper serial number. It has a Tecumseh HMSK80 engine with a DOM code of 4230A. Researching that it said all 4 digit (number) DOM were made “prior” to 2004 and that the first digit represents the year. So is this as old as 1994?

By the way, let me puff my chest out on this find. This thing doesn’t look like it has been used 5 times. It is built like an absolute tank! The carb was one of the worst I have ever seen. Many minutes with carb cleaner and a brass brush to get the bowl clean. I do have the heater box, just not installed yet.

View attachment 183566 View attachment 183567 View attachment 183568
I had one of those it was a beast and with an impeller kit would handle anything with ease.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your feedback. Based on what you shared, my guess is this was made in 1994 and not 2004. Wow, almost 30 years old and it almost looks like new.

Ok, those of you that have them if you sold it, what would you ask for it in your area? $550?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

View attachment 183566 View attachment 183567 View attachment 183568
awesome find! real NOS.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Hehhehe .... there are so many great, solid machines out there that are free or almost free. With usually some maintenance on steroids, and a few parts and some paint, most of them can be brought back into service and give you many years of solid use.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you all for your feedback. Based on what you shared, my guess is this was made in 1994 and not 2004. Wow, almost 30 years old and it almost looks like new.

Ok, those of you that have them if you sold it, what would you ask for it in your area? $550?
Do you have room to keep it?
I have a SNAPPER 8265 I bought new in 1994 and I just used it 4 day's ago 2nd time in 5 years of otherwise non use as the composite chute works way better in slush than my simple city steel chute!
It has new belts and fresh oil /fuel and the old 8hp. flat head geezer still works like new! Loud as hell but WOW!
It has no resale value because of it's age so I keep it as a spare and if you need it? How much is it worth when the hardware store is SOLD OUT!
If the old Snapper had a trigger release drive and heated grips It would have made the jump to the Simplicity P1728E...A hard choice to make!
My Point is read some of the post on this sight.... OLD MACHINES ARE WORTH LESS IN $$$ THAN THEY ARE IN REAL LIFE...
If you don't have room... check out online sales in your area and see what it's worth!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you have room to keep it?
I have a SNAPPER 8265 I bought new in 1994 and I just used it 4 day's ago 2nd time in 5 years of otherwise non use as the composite chute works way better in slush than my simple city steel chute!
It has new belts and fresh oil /fuel and the old 8hp. flat head geezer still works like new! Loud as hell but WOW!
It has no resale value because of it's age so I keep it as a spare and if you need it? How much is it worth when the hardware store is SOLD OUT!
If the old Snapper had a trigger release drive and heated grips It would have made the jump to the Simplicity P1728E...A hard choice to make!
My Point is read some of the post on this sight.... OLD MACHINES ARE WORTH LESS IN $$$ THAN THEY ARE IN REAL LIFE...
If you don't have room... check out online sales in your area and see what it's worth!
I could have made room, but decided to sell it anyhow. This machine was one of the best machines I have ever picked up (the other being a Yamaha). The Snapper sold quickly along with all the other machines I had for sale as we had a few inches of snow earlier in November. I keep an eye on the market and you would think they don't make snow blowers anymore. Used prices are through the roof!

Unfortunately I have left myself with just a single stage for my own. Something will turn up.... (I hope...) 😩

1 - 14 of 14 Posts