Thank you for the advise. It is very cold in NJ right now. I plan to tackle this in a couple of days.Silvan
Welcome to the forum. With the pan off, focus on the gears on your right....they are possibly locked up from lack of lubrication. A light oil directed to their bearing points may be a quick fix for now. Sometimes the gears need to be removed and properly lubricated for a long time fix. MH
Thank you, it is exactly the problem on the video. I will pack with grease and get it going.
Everything you said is spot on. The design of the system is made to fail. I have a 1980 Toro with no such problem. This is my first time looking at an MTD. This came in bad shape. Housing rust and bent at the bottom. My Toro does not have any rust at all.That is the biggest issue with this design, the fact that the factory doesn't lube the needle bearings or the planetaries properly.
Pull it all apart, clean it up with brake cleaner (make sure all teh old goop is out of the needles), dry with compressed air, then use Synclon Super-Lube ($10 a tube @ amazon), pack it all properly with your hands (don't try to use a needle lubricator, they don't work too well, just use your fingers and keep packing it in until it won't take anymore), make sure the planetaries have enough, roll it by hand for a while to make sure the lube gets in everywhere, cleanup the exterior (don't want excess grease getting on the friction disc or rubber wheel) and put it back in.
I just got done doing a full roller needle bearing conversion on an older design that originally had bushings. I even had to do needle bearings in the cap since those are specialized bushings you cannot buy, you have to a standard size bushing to fit, so why not just put in a needle bearing.
Needle bearings are great for this application, it is the lack of proper lubrication done at the factory that gives them a low life in practice. Then again, that is the case for just about everything on MTD blowers, as EVERYTHING needs to be lubricated so that it not only works properly, but will last.
Yeah, that is why when my 1999 driveshaft failed with the bushings wearing out I went ahead and had a machinist friend open my assemblies up for needle bearings and then I proceeded to pick the proper bearings myself. I used Koyo double-sealed needles on the inner planatary gears, Koyo Torrington bearings on the planatary cup (no seal and it shouldn't matter since the planatary gets packed with grease) and that was because that gear is actually an offset from where the pressure on the cup is with the shoes on the outside, so a Torrington makes sense, not from a speed perspective, but a load perspective with full rollers.Sounds like a good fix. I repaired two of these types this season, one required the kit, as the bearing surface on the hex shaft was destroyed. The kit includes needle bearings with seals, in an attempt to keep the grease in, and of course water out. This is MTD's fourth attempt at a fix.
The second one I simply replaced the needle bearings, Amazon has them.