Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When do you go out to start your snow removal? I regardless of storm intensity wait until the end of the storm. I am from an area where the snowfall rarely exceeds 32", which allows me to wait til the end.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Depends on how much you like to blow snow! I usually try to wait til the storms over but a guy on the forum (Stromr) will tell you he's out as often as he can find some snow to blow. I've heard Mrs. Stromr has threatened to have him committed!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I wait until the snow has ended unless it's wet and going to melt. I find if I go out during the storm, the sidewalk fills in almost completely from the wind so why work the same effort twice. In most cases the snow insulates the sidewalk from freezing. However, I want the sun to melt the ice so I weigh that also.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
I find that it's better to do it once, when the snow has ended. I've had a bunch of storms end wetter then they began, then temps drop, causing a tougher icy tail end.

If I have left it till the end, the fluffier stuff would have insulated the ice from sticking.

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
I like to wait until Spring but usually can't.
Same here... I'm not overly fond of blowing snow so I do it as little as possible.

·
Registered
56 Posts
When do you go out to start your snow removal? I regardless of storm intensity wait until the end of the storm. I am from an area where the snowfall rarely exceeds 32", which allows me to wait til the end.
Well it depends on the machine I have available to me. Back when I had less capable machines, that did well up to 12", I would go out at around 9-10" and blow the rest at the end. Later in life I got professional model Ariens blowers and would just wait until the end (they have 24" high buckets and can handle that).

I just got a Honda HSS928 with tracks, have only used it on 2 storms, 15" of sticky snow and 4" of wet SLEET (yup 4" of sleet). It handled both with grace but we'll see next time we get 2 feet how well it does.

So, for now, my rule is wait until the end...subject to further research. :biggrin:

Thumper

·
Registered
485 Posts
Well I never would've guessed...

Same here... I'm not overly fond of blowing snow so I do it as little as possible.
:question:Well I never would've guessed, I thought everybody on this forum loved to blow snow! Let me play you the song of my people:

Oh, don't forget to substitute the word SNOW for spam.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I like to clear the driveway every 6" if I know more is coming,however as a crippled old fart who walks with a cane I now wait until its done.
Next winter I'm afraid I'm going to have to mount the 42" blower on my Ford riding mower.
I don't like to do that as I live on a gravel road and the snow plow throws stones 10 feet into my driveway so I like to keep the plow on the Ford to clear it.

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
:question:Well I never would've guessed, I thought everybody on this forum loved to blow snow!
Nope. I never have liked blowing snow. I simply have an interest in OPE and I try to maximize the effeciency of my blower. That's why I'm here.

Reactions: BillE

·
Registered
15 Posts
i like going out mid and end, like the wife says it's my time off from her ( lol ) and i even use the scapper after to make sure the drive is clean. ( now where did i put the long sleeve jacket with the nice belt buckels )

·
Premium Member
4,904 Posts
Before I retired I did it when I could.

Now I do it about every 8 inches or so. This past winter we had had storms of over 24 inches or more so it is best to keep ahead of it instead of waiting till the end.

If it is a foot or less then I wait till the plow comes so I can do the berm at the same time. I used to just do it and go into the house. after I took all my gear off, the plow man would come.

i think he has a hidden camera in my house. but i outsmarted him. ha ha

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Depending on snow conditions, I prefer to wait until the storm is over. If it's 18" of "normal" snow, that's fine. If it's a foot of wet, heavy stuff, I should probably go out twice. This is partially based on the storm we had a few weeks ago, where I waited until the end, then realized that was a mistake.

When I had less-powerful equipment, I had to clear during the storms, or else the machine would be overloaded. But now I can usually wait until the end and be OK. I think it's quicker vs clearing twice, and I don't have to worry about the wind filling-in areas that I've already cleared earlier in the storm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts