Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Fairly new to the world of snowblowers. Plenty of articles about storing snowblower after winter with or without fuel. Sounds like the best option is filling with fuel and ensuring stabilizer is added. With the oil, when’s the best time to drain and do an oil change? Before storing for spring/summer, or when winter rolls around next year?
Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
235 Posts
By design, oil gets contaminated with dirt and small metal particles during use. One line of thought is to change it at the end of the season before storage so as not to let contaminated oil sit in the machine.

However, most machines don't get that many hours of use per year so it doesn't matter that much IMO.

Personally I change it while prepping the machine for the coming season during Fall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it either way.

My vote is store the carburetor dry, I ran a small engine shop, much of what came in the door was gummed up from sitting with fuel in it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I agree with what the boys have said!!! I always think as long as you are in the habit of changing your oil every start of season the oil does not get that much use anyway.

2. Oil: I empty oil at end of season and fog cylinder pull starter cord a few times with plug wire off plug and then bring it up to TDC(Top Dead Center). I put a note in a sandwich bag saying no oil and tape to top of engine. prevention goes a long way.

1. Gas: I also run engine dry at end of season. If lots in tank siphon back to my gas can and then run engine to dry.

Then Store it Away. Hopefully with a good cover or a good shed/garage.

Just good practice to get in to. Engine always started first pull next season after new plug, oil and fresh gas to start off again.

Exceptions being if you have a brand new engine your first season...Then change the oil a few times I would say...definitely after first five hours of use... Can't hurt. Also run Dyno I guess helps seats piston rings better..... for first several hours of new engine use at least.

·
Registered
376 Posts
When you turn off the fuel valve and let the engine run till the carb runs out of gas is there any remaining gas at all left in the bottom of the float bowl, ...is it completely dry at that point?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Around here it is not a given that the snow blower will be used every year so I always drain the tank and carb, running it dry then draining the carb bowl with the screw in the bottom. Sometimes it can go two or three years without running.

As for oil, I change it at the end of season in the spring. A pint or quart of oil is cheap and that way I always know it has good oil in it and don't have to think about keeping track of when it was last changed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts