Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to grease my snowblower and lawnmower, they have the zerk fittings on them... where do I purchase a grease gun locally and what type of grease should be used?

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Any auto parts, hardware or tool store should have a grease gun. A lot of people recommend snowmobile grease for low temps or marine grease for more water resistance. I don't think the type matters so much as long as they actually have grease in them.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
For something with farly low load, and low speed, that will live out where its wet, and damp you cant beat greese made for boat use... but as was said... any will realy do the job for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a grease gun and multipurpose grease, when I attach the gun to the zerk fitting and begin to attempt to fill with grease it just comes out around the edges of the fitting not going into the shaft :confused:

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
When you say fitting do you mean where the zerk screws into the shaft or where the grease gun goes over the zerk?

If it is coming out the threads of the zerk it sounds like the zerk is loose or something is blocked up inside the shaft.

If it is coming out where the grease gun attaches you either don't have the grease gun on right or the zerk is clogged. There is a little ball inside it that acts like a valve that could be rusted closed too.

Make sure to wipe any dirt and dried grease off the zerk first too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
doesn't seem to go INTO the zerk fitting like it's clogged, pushed into the hole with a needle to try to free it... didn't help

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Make sure the grease gun is on straight and fully seated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts