Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wow! I haven't been here for a while. Nice job on the website!
Anyways, I just would like to know if someone posted anything or knows where to drill the hole to get a spray straw through the heater box to shoot Sea Foam etc.without taking off the box which is a bit of a pain. This is for a 10HP Tecumseh Snow King machine built in 1999 and still going strong. Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Is it not starting?

I put 1/2 the rate of SeaFoam as well as Stabil in all my 5 gallon has cans.

·
Super Moderator
2,726 Posts
If it's a flathead Tecumseh, Look for where the choke shaft comes out of the heater box and that should be in line with the throttle throat on many engines (but not every one). Best way would be to pull the heater box and look it over. Now the question is do you need to use ether to start the engine or not?
I've started several down to about -20 degrees without needing to use starting fluid, so it's a matter of is it something physical wrong with the engine or with how you're trying to start it?
I hate to see needless holes being drilled or things like starting fluid used if not needed.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nothing wrong with it for starting. I just want to have easy access for carb cleaner, Sea Foam or ether if need be...

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
i would agree with the others that none of those should be needing to go in the carb through the intake. if it does then there is something wrong with your machine or the carb. the primer does the same thing as ether if the carb and primer are working like they should. also carb cleaner doesn't work by just spraying it in the intake. you have to take things apart to clean them with carb cleaner.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. It's mainly to shoot Sea Foam in without the hassle of removing the box. I know somebody here had MacGyvered a shortcut by drilling a hole but I can't remember who. Yes, it isn't the same as a proper cleaning but it does help - preventative maintenance, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Thanks guys. It's mainly to shoot Sea Foam in without the hassle of removing the box. I know somebody here had MacGyvered a shortcut by drilling a hole but I can't remember who. Yes, it isn't the same as a proper cleaning but it does help - preventative maintenance, in my opinion.
Heck it is your machine, I like the term of MacGyvered. :)
I have successfully MacGyvered myself.
Makes you feel good when it works, if it don't your back to the drawing board MacGyvering.
If your not worried about messing up an original part on the machine. Go for it.
Wouldn't be hard at all.
Figure out where you want the hole and drill a hole. Neatly.
Then make a cover to pop on and off. Or flip down, with a latch of some kind to secure it. Thumb bolts maybe?.

Some would not because they like original.
I say go for it, it you drill the hole nice and end up with the one round scrap piece you could make that a flap with a little MacGyvering. :cool:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should add, this is a 30-year old machine so that might make a difference about making a drill hole to some people. It's well beyond having that new-snowblower smell...😀

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I should add, this is a 30-year old machine so that might make a difference about making a drill hole to some people. It's well beyond having that new-snowblower smell...😀
If it is a 1999 it is 21 years old. Almost 22. :geek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just had mine all apart yesterday. It's one of these:

The intake is right behind the choke knob. The box is open underneath so you could probably just spray under the box up toward the choke. Otherwise I would just drill right under the choke knob.

For those who are curious why I had mine apart, tank was cracked and it sat for a couple years in my neighbor's garage. Finally got around to getting a replacement tank and was going to rebuild the carb while I was at it. Found a brand new carb complete with fuel lines, fuel shut off, primer bulb/line, etc. for $13. So I just replaced the carb and the lines and put in a new plug. Dialed in the idle and she runs like new.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it is a 1999 it is 21 years old. Almost 22. :geek:
You are correct Big Ed. My fumble fingers hit the three on the keyboard instead of the two. Well, it is in its fourth decade. Cheers!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just had mine all apart yesterday. It's one of these:
View attachment 169595

The intake is right behind the choke knob. The box is open underneath so you could probably just spray under the box up toward the choke. Otherwise I would just drill right under the choke knob.

For those who are curious why I had mine apart, tank was cracked and it sat for a couple years in my neighbor's garage. Finally got around to getting a replacement tank and was going to rebuild the carb while I was at it. Found a brand new carb complete with fuel lines, fuel shut off, primer bulb/line, etc. for $13. So I just replaced the carb and the lines and put in a new plug. Dialed in the idle and she runs like new.
-------------------------------------------------------

Excellent!

Yes Jeff. Same engine except mine's the 10HP. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
You are correct Big Ed. My fumble fingers hit the three on the keyboard instead of the two. Well, it is in its fourth decade. Cheers!
My Craftsman is that old.
This looks like his picture. But mine is 5 horse.
I been thinking about putting a Tasmanian Devil sticker over the rabbit. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts