Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I saw an old ST1028 (924086) and I was surprised by the quality of this machine. Parts quality and solidity of everything seems over the other Ariens series I saw. The model I saw even has a 6 fan blades ! I was wondering if you can use the Ariens two belts pulley kit on these 924 series ?

·
Registered
994 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Though duel belts help in the not needing a new belt as soon I can say I can’t remember any other brand with duel belts and there are a lot of fine machines so it may just be one of those options that are nice but not really needed.

·
Registered
994 Posts
The videos that I have seen on installing the dual belt kit from Ariens seemed to change out a 1/2" belt for two 1/2" belts. Does the 924 series use a 5/8" belt since that is what many of the higher hp engines use? My Craftsman 11/30 with 11 hp Tecumseh had a 5/8" belt and that was 15 years ago.

Just wondering.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I don't know...maybe it's just me.....but having had dozens of 924 series blowers, one of which I have a 12 hp engine on a 24 inch bucket and driving a 3.5 inch pulley to the auger.....never seen the need to upgrade to a dual pulley system...they have a 1/2 inch belt. I prefer the Tractor Supply Kevlar belts for the auger, only cause I think the blue color is sexy. I don't fix it unless it's broken, and I don't see any problem with the 924 auger belts

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
924 series are my favorite !!!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Can’t wait till the parts comes in for mine, model 924126, Cranman liked it too.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
No doubt about it, the STs were tanks. But I've used enough of the newer Ariens to realize that they do pretty good as well.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I washed my hands of the newer Ariens once I had to change the drive rubber on a ( I believe) 932 series.....never again!

·
Registered
579 Posts
This morning I saw an old ST1028 (924086) and I was surprised by the quality of this machine. Parts quality and solidity of everything seems over the other Ariens series I saw. The model I saw even has a 6 fan blades ! I was wondering if you can use the Ariens two belts pulley kit on these 924 series ?
Got the exact same one legarem, I put the paddles on all six auger blades and armor skids for the poor sidewalks around here. It is a beast!!! Oh and drift cutters and a weight system for the big snow piles left by the plows

Attachments

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
924 Hands Down

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the exact same one legarem, I put the paddles on all six auger blades and armor skids for the poor sidewalks around here. It is a beast!!! Oh and drift cutters and a weight system for the big snow piles left by the plows
What's the value of a good condition ST1028 like this one ?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I don't know the value as I always get broken or cheap....but if I find one like that broken or cheap, it's coming to live at my house! anyone know of that bucket assembly for sale, let me know....I'll put it on my 12 hp rat blower....

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
There's no question the 924's are top notch but the 926-- no so much. If you have to fork over money to buy three factory "upgrade" kits to overcome inherently poor designs, it's not a great machine.
* dual drive belt conversion
* chute fix
* cover plate to prevent water leaking into the drive mechanism
If that's not enough, it's a simple fix to prevent overtravel of the swing plate assembly but it shouldn't be necessary. You probably don't need to worry about this if you do the dual drive belt conversion.

Granted, once those "upgrades" are completed, the 926 is a decent machine.

The 932's with the plastic tire rims was another engineering failure.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
A used 924 is ten times the value of the newer blowers....I just asked the top mechanic at my Arien dealership today, what he had for trade ins and what was selling.......the answer he gave me was probably spot on.....no one replaces their blower ( Ariens) because it won't do the job.....they buy a new blower because their next door neighbor just got a new one.....and he does new blower delivery and asks......I've got a dozen 10000 series and first series blowers as good as new and another dozen 924 series that will go 40 years or more of NE snow....shiny sells.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts