Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the recent storms up here in th Sierras I have been getting extra work blowing people's driveways.

Have been turning down some lucrative drives because I only have a HS624. So I can only do 3-4 drives in a day and then I am exhausted. However I only paid $500 for this 4 years ago and it pays for itself every 2-3 days.

My neighbor has an Ariens 11 horse and it seems like he breezes thru his drive.

Should I get a bigger Honda or maybe a 11 horse Ariens or is there something better out there for under 3k that can handle heavy use?

Thanks everyone in advance.

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
With all the recent storms up here in th Sierras I have been getting extra work blowing people's driveways.

Have been turning down some lucrative drives because I only have a HS624. So I can only do 3-4 drives in a day and then I am exhausted. However I only paid $500 for this 4 years ago and it pays for itself every 2-3 days.

My neighbor has an Ariens 11 horse and it seems like he breezes thru his drive.

Should I get a bigger Honda or maybe a 11 horse Ariens or is there something better out there for under 3k that can handle heavy use?

Thanks everyone in advance.
Hi there. You'll need to fill in the blanks for us here to give you some direction. What and how much snow do you have to deal with ? Are you transporting this between jobs ? What do the drives look like, gravel/ paved ? incline/flat ? Do you have a budget ? ......

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
I'd go with the Honda if price isn't an issue or an Ariens if it is. Before you go with a 32" you might want to look at what you're considering will be your jobs. I have 32"s and they are wonderful for the 400 foot drive but they can be a problem in tight places or narrow walkways. Nothing says you can't have the 32" to cut thru the big stuff and a second smaller one, maybe a SS for tighter places. You also want to make sure the 32" fits through your doorway if you need to pass through one for storage.

·
Premium Member
4,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi there. You'll need to fill in the blanks for us here to give you some direction. What and how much snow do you have to deal with ? Are you transporting this between jobs ? What do the drives look like, gravel/ paved ? incline/flat ? Do you have a budget ? ......[/QUOTE

Ok, I see what you mean. All the drives are paved and fairly straight. Not too long. I haven't measured them but each one takes about an hour or hour and half including the berm.

With a 32" I could cut that time considerably. Nothing too tight.

3 of the drives are on my street so I just run it from garage. One I have to transport about a mile. I do foresee transporting to more jobs because people recommend me to others and I have had to turn down work.

The most I would have to transport would be about a mile each way since we have over 400 homes in my small neighborhood.

I have had tracked Honda's but I really like the 624 with wheels. It does maneuver better than the 828 I used to have.

·
Registered
902 Posts
The 624 may be easy to maneuver but a wider more powerful machine would cut your time in half, if not more. I loved my custom 924 but once I used the 1132 I knew there was no turning back.

Id get a tracked 928 or 828 if I was you, not sure how far this one is from you but i'd check it out, seems like a good price for this time of the year.

https://reno.craigslist.org/grd/5960665422.html

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Id get a tracked 928 or 828 if I was you, not sure how far this one is from you but i'd check it out, seems like a good price for this time of the year.

https://reno.craigslist.org/grd/5960665422.html
It seems pretty clean overall, except for the impeller housing repair or reinforcement that had been done to it. Why was it done? Did gravel use tore the housing? Was the repair done properly?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Please correct me if I'm wrong, tracked blowers can not be moved unless they are running. The tracks require power to move them.

·
Super Moderator
2,672 Posts
Please correct me if I'm wrong, tracked blowers can not be moved unless they are running. The tracks require power to move them.

In addition to that, I've worked on a Craftsman tracked unit before. The tracks on at least that one have a tendency to rust up in the drive or tracks.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm a noob to the blower world, my first one recently. I remember helping a friend years ago with a tracked blower that wouldn't start and was under warranty. What a drag getting it on a trailer, you drag them.

·
Banned
474 Posts
Just look around at what most paid snow removers are using and it is not tracked units due to cost, size, weight and complexity.

Ease of service, readily available common wear items at good prices, more powerful engines, larger buckets and above average build quality from a reputable manufacturer are what sells for commercial work.

In your case the Simplicity Signature Pro 2132 should be high on the list of choices.

·
Registered
397 Posts
A Friend of mine has a Wrecker/Tow Truck Company and he recently told me that several times each winter, he's called to bring a rig out to relocate a tracked snowblower from somewhere on the Owners property back to their own garage . . . . just so it can be worked on.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
For what you are doing, I'd be getting a 38" or 43", they have them bigger than that. Go with the biggest engine. You may want to consider a 12hp Gravely convertible. Nothing can stop them, they don't clog, and they are fast! You also have a 2 speed auger. And a 12" impeller. They'll throw snow across a 4 lane road and hit the buildings.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Honda wheel units are easier but track snowblowers can be moved without the engine running (but with some difficulty).
There is a release lever to move them.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Since you don't have space limitations, this is what I would suggest:

If buying new, get a Honda HSS1332ATD
If going used, get a good used Honda HS1132/1332.

If you want a wheeled unit you are limited to

If new, a Honda HSS928ATD
If used, a good used Honda HS828/928

If you feel the HS828/928 is under powered, you can always upgrade the engine (I'll be upgrading one of mine to 1128 or 1328 soon).

If you really want a wheeled HS1132/1332 it can always be custom modified :blush::blowerhug:

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
jmo... dont get wrapped up into thinking this winter will be like next winter and so on. do the few drives you have close with the equipment you have , maybe upgrade if the cash comes in, keep the work close to home and do it well.

·
Premium Member
4,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm a noob to the blower world, my first one recently. I remember helping a friend years ago with a tracked blower that wouldn't start and was under warranty. What a drag getting it on a trailer, you drag them.
Can't you just disengage the tranny and the tracks move on the wheels? that is what I do. hope that does not damage anything.

I use a ladies hs928 to do her drive and it makes quick work of it. Have only used the 1132 one time and was pretty impressed with it.

However , the people I have spoke to with Ariens 10 and 11 horsepower machines swear by them. With wheels instead of tracks it is easier to maneuver .

Can you put chains on those wheels for extra traction or would that void the warranty or put undo stress on the drivetrain?

·
Registered
902 Posts
May be I am spoiled by my Honda but IMO once you use a blower with Hydrostatic transmission you never go back.

I love ariens built quality, my perfect machine would be one thats powered and engineered by Honda and built by Ariens :D, I'd check out the Ariens hydropro track model as well if I was you.

Any how, I know most folks would say you are fine with the wheeled machines and the tracked ones come off as cumbersome and difficult to move. As some other members mentioned that you dont need tracks if you have flat tarmac, in all honesty I prefer my tracked machines not cause of the added traction and stability BUT because of the fact that tracked machines might as well have cruise control. They chew through hard packed snow, end of the driveway pile ups, 4 foot high snow drifts etc etc WITHOUT giving you tennis elbows. Not having single pivot point, the wheel axle, the tracks stay put and dont kick the bucket up like the wheeled models do every time you hit hard packed snow something that can not be said about wheeled machines.

If you are clearing freshly laid snowfall wheeled machines are fine for that but if you are constantly dealing with hard packed snow then the wheeled machines would beat the crap out of your forearms by constantly kicking up the bucket. This is not me crapping on the wheeled machines, I cant as they have served millions of folks for decades; I am just stating my experience with superior tracked machines.

The only time you'd prefer a wheeled machine over track is when it comes to turning them, they do take more effort but make up for it, many times over, in other areas. Plus if you are using a truck to move the machine around, they can easily climb up ramps.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts