1) 9.5/29
Tecumseh engine
Don't know model # (hunter green color)-about 13 years old
Fully maintained--new carb, belts, lubed,
Minimal rust
$350

2) 10/29
Briggs & Stratton
Model 536886331 (I think 90's- silver color)
Fully maintained
Minimal rust
$300

Which one should I go for? I'd like to stay at $300, but am not going to pass up a better model over $50 difference. I definitely need the horsepower, I have a very steep, long driveway that gets a lot of drifts.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I had a silver Craftsman 1996 and after 18 years it needed a fricton wheel and belt. Still runs good for the new owner.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The green ones are a pile of crap in the friction drive system even if maintained - definite no

The older silver ones are well made BUT I've never seen one of those with a Briggs engine nor one with that exact width so we may be talking apples and oranges here.

As far as prices - I don't think those are bad for a refurb machine of that size in the middle of winter.

Here's the manual www.manualslib.com/download/150330/Sears-536-886331.html It says 10hp and shows a tecumseh

Good luck with your purchase !

·
Registered
639 Posts
If the green one has a small 10in drum, they can't throw a good volume of snow. The Shute hole is also small and clogs easy. But it may also be the 12in drum. I'd still want the 10hp, for the extra power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Wnich one?? Neither. Get yourself a used Toro or Ariens.. I believe those craftsman blowers are murray machines and they have a reputation for poor quality and performance. JMHO. Others will have differing opinions.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Man i almost got an older 5/23 from the late 80s of CL for $100 in good shape some one got it before me.

that is back when craftsmans were good machines

Attachments

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Wnich one?? Neither. Get yourself a used Toro or Ariens.. I believe those craftsman blowers are murray machines and they have a reputation for poor quality and performance. JMHO. Others will have differing opinions.
I second that. Other than engine parts ,belts and friction disc all other parts need to be ordered and a lot of parts may be hard to get . get a used ariens, simplicity or toro where you can walk into a dealer and get any part you need. Case in point my 1969 ariens I can go to the dealer and get any bushing for it I want . Go home and fix it and back to blowing same day

·
Super Moderator
3,860 Posts
Neither..
For $300 you can get a much better used Ariens or Toro.

I wouldn't recommend a Craftsman when new, let alone a 10 or 20 year old one.
when you get into 30 and 40 year old Craftsmans, then you start having decent machines..those are generally fine used.
$200 on a 40 year old Craftsman could be a fine machine, if condition is good..but don't buy a 10 year old Craftsman..ever.

when looking at used snowblowers: Ariens, Toro, Honda.
Ignore anything else..unless you really know for sure you are getting in the older realm of good MTD's and Craftsmans. (1980's or older)

Scot

·
Registered
407 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a Craftsman when new, let alone a 10 or 20 year old one.......
Scot
My OTHER next-door neighbor has a Craftsman blower that's (supposedly)about 8-10 years old.His wife bought it for him for Christmas.I think in the first three years he had that thing every part on it was replaced.It was always broken down for one reason or another.

Mother Nature was really PMS'ing one winter morning when I went driving by and there was my neighbor with a gigantic framing hammer just beating the piss right out of that Craftsman.His wife later said the starter rope broke and he just lost it.He claims that the blower he has today is the same one,but I have to doubt that considering the way he was swinging that hammer and he's no weakling.He and I really don't associate so I can never really get a good look at it to tell.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Speaking of a 40 year old Craftsman... Like buttah. Just noticed it has wheels up front

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have had the green Craftsman for 16 years and works great for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts