Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10hp. Tecumseh engine on my snowblower and I'm wondering what's the correct oil viscosity to use in it? :smiley-confused013: … --> I'm guessing 5W-30 but I just want to make sure… Right or wrong? :confused:

Thanks,
Claude.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
@too (Claude),

Yes, oil is something you don't want to skimp on, as it is the life blood of any machine. All my equipment engines, summer and winter, new and old, get it. A great range, covering a wide spectrum of operating range … easy starting and the best protection.

·
Registered
49 Posts
@oneacer
@toofastforyou
@too (Claude),

Yes, oil is something you don't want to skimp on, as it is the life blood of any machine. All my equipment engines, summer and winter, new and old, get it. A great range, covering a wide spectrum of operating range … easy starting and the best protection.
I just watched a YT video, and it stated operating range from -20 to +120 plus multi year use before degradation necessitating oil change with a bit of a premium price. Well worth it in my opinion.

Thanks to both of you for bringing this info to light.
:grin:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I keep seeing this push for synthetic on these machine but, I am a dino oil or semi syn guy on a carbed small engine. It is my understanding that fuel dilution is a problem with full synthetic. They do not mix well and you can have bearing issues. The dino is better at protecting your engine from fuel dilution. I lost a VERY expensive car engine once to Amsoil full synthetic. Big Buick built 464 cu in motor lost a rod bearing after just a couple thousand miles. My builder rebuilt it on his dime but suspected the full synthetic was a contributor. I run synthetics in modern vehicles but I am leery of them in old machines. I would recommend changing often if using a full synthetic. Todays oil is soo much better than it used to be, running dino in a small engine isn't going to hurt it. I think it is a better choice personally.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Snowblower engines rely on a splash lubrication system. There is no oil pump or filter. You want the best oil based on manufacturer's recommendation. I use 5W-30 full synthetic in all my engines.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Oh man the oil question....

I am in the firm belief it doesnt matter if oil is in the engine and you change it semi regularly. It doesnt matter one bit.

All the small engines I have came across blown up or seized are because the owner let them get low on oil or no oil at all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Snowblower engines rely on a splash lubrication system. There is no oil pump or filter. You want the best oil based on manufacturer's recommendation. I use 5W-30 full synthetic in all my engines.
Is that what the manufacturer recommends?

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'm with Subie, regular oil changes and maintaining proper oil level is key.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Direct from Briggs & Stratton website:

" Synthetic SAE 5W-30- Best protection at all temperatures as well as improved starting with less oil consumption "

·
Read Only
871 Posts
right from the printed service manual
ENGINE OIL
Use a clean, high quality detergent oil. Be sure original container is marked: A.P.I. service SF thru SJ. The use of
multigrade oil may increase oil consumption under high temperature, high load applications.
NOTE: DO NOT USE SAE10W40 OIL.
For summer (above 32°F, 0oC) use SAE 30 oil part # 730225 (1 quart, .946 liter container) in high temperature, high
load applications.
S.A.E.10W30 is an acceptable substitute.
For winter (below 32°F, 0oC) use S.A.E. 5W30 oil part # 730226 (1 quart, .946 liter container)
S.A.E.10W is an acceptable substitute.
S.A.E. 0W30 should only be used when ambient temperature is below 0oF, -18oC.
end quote
so using the manual
5w30 in the winter both kinds are except able

1 - 20 of 48 Posts