Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are always giving advice what snowblowers we should buy but seldom say what not to buy, and why?

I'd say the reasons not to buy is unavailability of parts, unavailability of a dealer network, unavailability of servicing, poor performance, early breakdown/often breakdown/not reliable.

It seems snowblowers sold by Costco fit in to this category, buying no name snowblowers from China cheaply in lots of 10 or 100, I've read on here a lot of problems with Husqvarna parts availability. What about DR snowblowers? Generac snowblowers? Please don't mention the Murray built JD blowers as I have many Murray snowblowers and they are well built other than the rectangular exit.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
I would stay away from any of those with the plastic transmissions, as they fail often and are very expensive to replace ....
Add those with aggressive use of plastic everywhere. I went with a Pro model to minimize finding plastic bushing

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Scotsman has a thread here with a long list of machines to avoid

Reactions: Preacherman

·
Registered
136 Posts
We are always giving advice what snowblowers we should buy but seldom say what not to buy, and why?

I'd say the reasons not to buy is unavailability of parts, unavailability of a dealer network, unavailability of servicing, poor performance, early breakdown/often breakdown/not reliable.

It seems snowblowers sold by Costco fit in to this category, buying no name snowblowers from China cheaply in lots of 10 or 100, I've read on here a lot of problems with Husqvarna parts availability. What about DR snowblowers? General snowblowers? Please don't mention the Murray built JD blowers as I have many Murray snowblowers and they are well built other than the rectangular exit.
I bought a DR 28" last year and I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Don't buy anything but a Honda. (y)

... but in all seriousness... in 2009 I bought a $299 2-stage Powerland Honda clone engine blower (I was young-er and poor-er at the time). It was clearly made with cheap, soft thin metal... but in 12 years started just about every time on the first pull, threw a belt once, broke a belt once, needed tubes in the tires in Year 1, did not start to rust for about 7 years, but since I did not address by year 12 was starting to become a rust bucket. I never changed the spark plug, but it was odd-sized, like 20.8mm, and was over $40 to buy the wrench to remove it. Finally in year 12 it started to have difficulty starting, so I gave it away. Point being, this was about the cheapest Chinese blower that could be had at the time and with a bit of care I got my money out of it. Greased it and lubed it annually with synthetic lubricants and drained the gas after each season. Really makes a difference.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hard to believe that you couldn't get the spark out with a 6-point 21mm deep socket.
I did not have a 21mm deep socket and had been looking for an excuse for the last 7 years to ditch the Chinese blower and get a Japanese blower, if you want to know the truth.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
... I never changed the spark plug, but it was odd-sized, like 20.8mm, and was over $40 to buy the wrench to remove it.
20.8mm is practically The same as 13/16 inches. Just saying.

It seems snowblowers sold by Costco fit in to this category, buying no name snowblowers from China cheaply in lots of 10 or 100, I've read on here a lot of problems with Husqvarna parts availability. What about DR snowblowers? Generac snowblowers? Please don't mention the Murray built JD blowers as I have many Murray snowblowers and they are well built other than the rectangular exit.
I can not speak for Husqvarna snow blower parts availability but I can attest it is true for their Lawmowers as well as thier sub brand Poulan lawn mowers. I have no problem believing that about their snow removal equipment.

I would stay away from any of those with the plastic transmissions, as they fail often and are very expensive to replace ....
OK.....Can you name the brands/models that frequently use plastic transmissions?

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Plastic transmission-MTD, it will be single speed drive using a bail

·
Registered
99 Posts
Avoid the new Toro Power TRX HD models. They are getting bad reviews all having the same issues.

Wow, those reviews are pretty damning. I would be livid after getting such a pricey piece of equipment.

·
Super Moderator
2,266 Posts
owning a 2017 toro 38801 928 powermax you wouldn't want me to rewrite or post a review, or remark about how toro treated me when contacted via the phone.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Based on owners experience on this site I would recommend avoiding the Cub Cadet/MTD 3 stage machines.

Many instances of shear bolts breaking on a regular basis. Using the updated stronger shear bolts, seems to have resulted in numerous auger gear box failures.

The 3rd stage seems to actually hinder snow blowing performance.

If you are considering purchasing a Cub Cadet/MTD machine, I would go with the 2 stage design.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow, those reviews are pretty damning. I would be livid after getting such a pricey piece of equipment.
Not to mention the frustration of having that thing stuck at the end of your driveway in a snowstorm! I was very close to getting this Toro, but after reading all the negative reviews I went w/ the Ariens Rapid Track.

The reviews at Home Depot are just as bad, all with the same issues.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Stay away from Cub Cadet 3 stage at all costs.
When you need parts you have to wait for them to be sent from China, and when you do receive the box, it is empty with holes in it.
It will take years to get any parts for them after you get dozens of empty boxes that you thought contained the part you needed.
They are 100% Chinese made with all foreign made and supplied parts, and the people packing the parts do not know how to put them in the box to begin with, then after the box is shipped with anything in it, it is guaranteed to be empty by the time you receive it with large holes in it.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
The toro TRX is a travesty. The same lame brain track design that every other manufacture is eliminating from their lineup.

I agree avoid 3x machines like the plague. Personally I’d avoid anything that isn’t a Honda, ariens, or toro.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts