Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got an Ariens Platinum with a Briggs 15c134-2143-f8 blowing smoke out of valve cover vent. Oil was down a little and I did fill it to the top of the hash mark on the dipstick. Still smoking. I'm about to check the condition of the float valve, but I'm not really smelling gas in the oil.

I figured that I see what the gang thought first.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Bumper

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

· Premium Member
3,012 Posts
Possibly some moisture/condensation in the engine burning off?
When was the oil changed last? What does the oil look like, milky brown?
If you run the engine for 5 or 10 minutes does the white smoke clear out?

· Registered
324 Posts
In the bad old days (when I was younger) some engines had breather caps on their valve covers and the nasty road draft tube to pull out and spread noxious vapors. I know it is clutching at straws but in the cold those little valve covers might condense moisture on them. 🤔

· Registered
456 Posts
id ssecond running the engine for a good long while.. could just be water vapor.. let it run once your done.. after 15 mins or so.. you should see less if this is the case.. if nothing changes.. could very well be a sign of rings sticking or worn out..

unless you happen to be running nitrous?? please let it be nitrous :D

Reactions: tuffnell

· Somebody
4,668 Posts
Before tearing it down try removing the plug and filling the cylinder with (insert your favorite goo-buster). Lather/rinse/repeat, pulling the engine over between cycles. If it's a stuck ring(s) just maybe that'll help free 'em up.

Change the oil before running of course, and what comes out of the crankcase might offer some clues.

Can't hurt... plenty of time for a full overhaul come summertime.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts