Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have! I actually started mine this week and started on the first pull.

Thinking about lube, I would like to understand why Ariens recommends a grease that is rated for 10F-500F for the auger shaft, when these machines are used in the cold and likely temperatures are going to be below 10F?

Which oil is recommended? I saw an image of where to grease and where to oil...but couldn't find an oil that is recommended.

I'm so looking forward to the cold. Sick of this summer!

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
did my maintenance a couple months ago. but just did the generators last week.

around here we have had snow and rain storms that can take out the power in September.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve been contemplating starting the maintenance on mine for the past couple of weeks. Only thing that’s been keeping me from doing it, was the rain we’ve been getting during that time frame. Especially since would have to pull the blower on out from the shed and get it propped up the patio to service it . That and oh yeah almost forgot that there’s some scratches on the inside of the housing I’ve b
een wanting to touch up while the weather is warm enough to let the paint dry with out it running down the surface. Might actually see about getting the touching up done today while I get things ready to close our pool today. Say bye to one season and a big HELLO to another.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I have! I actually started mine this week and started on the first pull.

Thinking about lube, I would like to understand why Ariens recommends a grease that is rated for 10F-500F for the auger shaft, when these machines are used in the cold and likely temperatures are going to be below 10F?

Which oil is recommended? I saw an image of where to grease and where to oil...but couldn't find an oil that is recommended.

I'm so looking forward to the cold. Sick of this summer!
=======================================================================

Any high pressure red lithium grease will work fine for you use just a few squirts and no more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as crankcase oil goes some folks use synthetics and other use multi viscosity dinosaur juice.
5W-30, 10W-30 is ok BUT any good ten weight oil Mobil, Pennzoil, Wolfshead etc., will be fine as you want to be able to start it and not deal with a shoulder issue(been there done that).

I use my kerosene fired space heater/torpedo heater/salamander to warm everything up when the snow flies and also to melt the snow off and dry the JD snowblower junk as well as to warm up the snow pups and dry them off to get rid of the remnants of the END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER.

If you are using the rope starter always always always always remember to pull the Piston up to the top dead center and just a little more so that you are cranking it with the exhaust stroke to reduce the amount of pulling force needed. It really saves on the arm and tendons.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I used Mobil esp 5w-30 on mine.
Doing the maintenance in the spring or now before it get too cold.
Cleaning out the gearbox and use fresh grease.
Check the spark plug
Lube the wires so they don´t freeze.
Check the belts
If i remember right I used Mobil 220 grease.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Do most of you change out the oil before you put the blower to bed for the summer? Or right before the start of winter? I always did it at the end of the season as oil builds up acid during combustion and I like to not have that sit in it all summer.

·
Registered
340 Posts
For any seasonal equipment, I change the oil at the end of the season (and during if it's run enough to need it) and then only run it enough to fog the engine, etc. after that.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I have fired the snowmachine up and will go to the dealer this week to ask them for a new chute. Being near the water, the snow can be wet and last winter I did have some problems with clogging.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Started about 3 weeks ago. Worked almost every day a little at a time knocking stuff out.

910965, carb was rebuilt and oil changed in mid April. Started it last week when I added a new old stock genuine Tecumseh electric starter to it ($20!), popped right off and ran great. Gotta do the lube and greasing and changing auger gear case lube yet. I've never used this machine before, "stole/bought" it around 4/1 non-running (originally intended as a parts machine) but otherwise excellent shape for age, anxious to see how this unit throws the snow! If it's up to the task, the 922008 below will be sold (yay more room in my shed!).

910962, carb rebuilt last February, new belt last March, oil changed yesterday. Finished off all grinding of engine/handle bar rust, repainted (as cheaply as possible) and reassembled, new repro stickers, new muffler, fuel line and shut off valve. All cosmetic stuff finished up last week, no longer looks like a complete rust bucket, only a partial rust bucket ;) Lube/grease/gear case maintenance coming here also. Also need to try again to figure out its shifting between reverse/forward gear "catching" issue (it shifts by varying hand clutch lever tension by "feel", just likes to hang up going from R to any fwd speed or back again). Engine runs like a champ though!

922008, new belt/carb rebuild last March. The right side handle bar whizlock screw threads were worn down from rusting, replaced both sides (today!) and bars are tight again. Oil change needed, lube/grease/gear case coming for it also. Popped off on 1st pull today. Then it's figuring out why the auger attachment lever likes to disengage under load (suspect the attachment clutch lever spring is worn).

Should have everything wrapped up by Nov. 1.

Edited 10/11 to add, adventures in fluid and greasing.

The '965 and '008 were my Dad's blowers, I inherited them in 2015. My dad was never, ever known to maintain anything with a gas engine on it, and these have been a pain in the butt ever since I got them. I admit I'm new to being proactive with snow blowers myself, but this year I promised myself was The Year of The Ariens.

These two, the auger gear cases were effectively empty of oil (as I feared). Maybe 1 oz of gruel drained out of each. I also pulled out a grease zerk on the '965, so that'll need replacing, but at least both of them the blades weren't froze. The '008, the shear pins weren't shear pins at all, just nuts and bolts, but I had pins on hand and they're replaced now.

The '965, the gear case had "some kind of heavy oil" that looked like fresh, average ordinary heavy motor oil, but again it wasn't nearly enough (5 oz required according to the manual).

Three gear cases, I had maybe tops about 4 oz drained when it should have been 15. All fluids are done now...just don't leak on me please ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts