Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
The original "Drift Breaker".
I I thought AMF was bought up by Noma. Then Murray perhaps bought Noma?

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
I'm not sure about that machine but my buddies has the drive/auger belt engagement lever located near the chute. The lever in the operator position on the handlebars worked like a car clutch pedal. It disengaged the friction disk from the drive wheel stopping the machine and allows for shifting speed positions.

A neat relic, not a great design. Particularly Dangerous.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Registered
725 Posts
I see you are from Southern Maine Spectrum. I was born in Kittery. I am so green on sno-throwers. I never heard of a lot of these machines...like Gravely..I wouldn't buy that just cause of the name.

Anywho, what year is this thrower?
I'm about 25 miles north of Kittery.

That machine is circa 1970.

Pete

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just found this thread here http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/snowblower-repairs-maintenance-forum/29441-amf-dynamark-craftsman-polar-bears-coming-out-woodwork.html

dbert, yes AMF was eventually folded into Noma (I think in the '80's sometime) then Murray at some point and Murray into Briggs & stratton.

I have a 1978 Dynamark lawn tractor that was made by AMF, In searching for parts the other year I found the AMF part numbers in my parts list were crossed to Noma and Murray #s on websites still carrying some of them.

·
Registered
397 Posts
AMF - American Foundry and Manufacturing is still around as a holding Company for Bowling Centers; but they did divest themselves of the Lawn and Garden business back in the 1980s, along with most every other kind of enterprise except Bowling.

I too have a Garden Tractor (a 1973) made by AMF back in 1973 under the name Dynamark (branded under Montgomery Ward!), and I still find parts for it under names like AMF, Dynamark, NOMA, Murray and AYP (American Yard Products) . . . . and there may be more !

When it's time to find parts, you have to enjoy the hunt, and have a high tolerance for frustration; but they're around. I recently got a brand new Mowing Deck for this mower and last year, new King Pins and Axle assemblies for the steering mechanism of my now "almost new" 44 year old mower. Now it's like an old friend.

I'm sure people can do the same for an older SnowBlower . . . . if they're persistent.

·
Super Moderator
2,677 Posts
later model
became Jacobson

I don't think Jacobson had anything to do with AMF. AMF, Noma and a couple of others were bought out by Murray based on my info. If fact if you look at things like the original auger housing and some of the 70's Craftsman's, you'll see the linage in them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts