Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to re-assemble the 1978 Craftsman Drift Breaker 10/32 repaired friction disc assembly, and found a very interesting phenom.

the disc assembly did NOT break due to the friction disk sticking on the hex cross shaft.

it broke, because someone at some point, changed the HANDLEBAR BOLTS that go into the sides of the frame- and put all 4 bolts the same size in there. these bolts were longer than the factory bolts. the long bolts went through the handlebars ok on 3 of them, but one bolt went in and contacted, and jammed, the friction disc tension spring/chain tensioner assembly, by pushing it IN further than it should be.

this idle tensioner assembly is not part of the friction disc assembly, but bolts on seperately to the left side of it, not shown in this picture or video

this not only jammed the chain somewhat, but also jammed the friction disk so it was not releasing properly from the platter

and being shifted while still in contact with the platter

stressing the disc retainer casting, and breaking the snap ring groove off.

WOW !

I bolted it back together and it promptly jammed up, took a look inside, saw the problem. good thing the carb was not installed yet and I hadn't run it or tried to drive it, may have broken it again if I did.

now that was an oddball problem....you gotta watch out for prior repairs !

anyway, got the disc assembly re-assembled and ready to go, it slides like greased lightning now

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Feels good to win once in a while doesn't it?:). Good for you.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
That may be the reason they got rid of it.
They fixed it and broke it at the same time.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my thoughts exactly....these are known for handlebars coming loose from the machine, and quite a few have bolts with rounded heads from being tightened all the time. it is because the weight of the machine, and the nuts are square inserts that snap into square holes, not regular hex head nuts. it appears they decided to fix that malady with new hardware, put a bolt in too long on the left side, and jammed up the drive, and it broke the friction wheel casting retainer. chain reaction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts