Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why did most of the manufacturers, aka Murray, MTD, others? switch from a 6" impeller opening to the chute to less than 3" x 4 1/2"?

You have a 9" or a 12" impeller area where the snow gets pushed to then funneled into such a small 3" x 4 1/2" opening only to come back into a 5"-6" chute.

Isn't this one of the big reasons for chute clogging?

Is it suppose to increase velocity to throw the snow out further and faster? If so, it ain't working, don't they get it? Or are doing this for us to spend more money to buy a bigger and more powerful machine?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
They are copying Honda. I believe they used a smaller chute opening years ago. Similar to a garden hose - put your thumb over the end of a hose, and the stream goes faster and farther.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm very interested in this topic. Garden hose engineering is my guess as well - but does it make slush throwing better or worse?

·
Registered
725 Posts
The restriction promotes more pressure in the exiting snow stream and that translates to throwing distance and distance sells. The same holds true for the smaller chutes.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I believe this is a rectangular tube rising up a bit from the impellar housing. What this will give you is the ability to throw the snow quite well in any direction. The round openings are usually quite low on the impellar housing and those throw well to the right, but diminish that distance quite a bit to the left by their design.
I modded one of my old machines some time ago to a rectangular tube off the impellar housing and can throw the snow equally in any direction I choose in about a 250 degree arc.

Reactions: Prime

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
I believe this is a rectangular tube rising up a bit from the impellar housing. What this will give you is the ability to throw the snow quite well in any direction. The round openings are usually quite low on the impellar housing and those throw well to the right, but diminish that distance quite a bit to the left by their design.
I modded one of my old machines some time ago to a rectangular tube off the impellar housing and can throw the snow equally in any direction I choose in about a 250 degree arc.
I think you are correct. Hondas with the rectangle opening do equally well in all directions. The MTD blowers I used to use with round openings were very poor to the left especially in slush conditions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts