Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 6 HP Tecumseh on my 26 inch snowbird is dead. I have a 4 HP Honda engine that mounts up perfectly but I'm afraid it won't have enough power. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this engine will cut it or not?

·
Registered
346 Posts
That motor would be good for 2 or 3 inches of light powdery snow, anything other than that just won't be worth it.
Check craigslist for some used motors in your area

·
Registered
864 Posts
The 6 HP Tecumseh on my 26 inch snowbird is dead. I have a 4 HP Honda engine that mounts up perfectly but I'm afraid it won't have enough power. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this engine will cut it or not?[/QUOTE

what's wrong with the Tec. 6HP ? if you have a vintage snowbird you should keep it original. 4 HP is on the small side.

better yet, the bigger Tec. 7-8-10HP engines would also bolt in there. you can go up in power instead of down for a very fair price. those engines are all over Ebay now for under 100 bucks.

·
Registered
864 Posts
here's a 6HP rebuild kit

and a complete used shortblock

and here's a complete one
Vintage Mini Bike Go Kart Motor Tecumseh H 60 Big Block Engine | eBay

and yet another, this one looks like it actually came off a Snowbird blower, it's red, $50 obo ? can't beat these prices, delivered to your door.

if I looked hard, could probably find 50 of them in 1/2 hour. take your pick.
when you have an old machine or old anything, the first thing you should do is check Ebay.
we all have to force ourselves out of the "big box Walmart" and "import" mentality, and buy the vintage USA made stuff that belongs on the machines OEM

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, an 8 HP would be great. I sat an 8 HP Briggs on it but it was too wide. The 8 HP and 4 HP are just what I have laying around.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its not really about big box stores and imports with me. Its about an old fashioned idea of looking at what you already have and consider all your options before buying another engine (used, online or whatever). The old Tecumseh chewed up the crank and the surface where it passes through the block so I feel like its really not worth fixing. However I would keep it in case someone wanted to make the blower original someday

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
Engines

Yeah, an 8 HP would be great. I sat an 8 HP Briggs on it but it was too wide. The 8 HP and 4 HP are just what I have laying around.
4 & 5 HP Tecumseh's will interchange, I suspect the 6 is the same frame. The 7 and higher ones I've touched have had a different mounting pad, shaft and IIRC the distance from the centerline of the shaft to the base was different. If you have the space and inclination, you could redrill for the mounts and change belts and the cover likely.

Personally, I'd take it back to original if at all possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts