Snowblower Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the media and political hype on this topic, are our days numbered as members of this forum? I just bought a brand new Toro and wonder if a new boat may have been a more sensible (long term) purchase? What say you?

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
There are those that want to Chicken Little and declare "The Sky is Falling". We have had light winters and we've had heavy. Don't declare snow is gone till it's gone, and I don't expect that in our lifetime.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I say no...Snow is always imminent this time of year!!

·
Registered
755 Posts
With all the media and political hype on this topic, are our days numbered as members of this forum? I just bought a brand new Toro and wonder if a new boat may have been a more sensible (long term) purchase? What say you?

hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahha

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
yup there will be NO MORE SNOW so I will do my part and properly dispose of all the snowblowers free of charge, Just contact me and I will give the address to send all the useless snow blowers for disposal. :devil:

·
Registered
235 Posts
IMO it's not as much global warming as climate change. In my area, it feels like average temps are cooler than usual year-round, yet to the north it's warmer. As if the cold shifted somehow. I believe the biggest problem will be water level rising due to all the snow in the north not being "replaced" as quickly as it melts.

The seasons also seems to have shifted a bit, usually starting and ending about a month late.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Media & political hype is just that, no one claiming anything climate related can prove that they are correct. Weather & climate have always been an ever changing thing and they will continue to be so.
Nothing but time will prove who is right and who is wrong.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Laugh and joke all you want, but climate change is real. The polar ice caps and glaciers are melting at an alarming rate. It may not affect our generation, but we have to be thinking of future generations. It's no joke!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Laugh and joke all you want, but climate change is real. The polar ice caps and glaciers are melting at an alarming rate. It may not affect our generation, but we have to be thinking of future generations. It's no joke!
Yup, as I said above. It's been changing for thousands of years, before recorded time even, nothing we do can stop the climate from doing what it does naturally, nor should we try to stop it.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The young will have to save this planet. We oldsters are too entrenched in our ways...

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Our lifespan, and even previous generations lifespans, are but a spec of sand in the earths evolution, until its demise at some point.

Earth is ever evolving in the millions and millions of years, and will continue to do so, with or without us.

There has always been mild winters and severe winters in my lifespan thus far, and I am sure it will remain that way.

I put climate change discussion right in the category like religion and politics …. every person has there own view, and many don't agree.

Oh, btw, my snowblowers are not going anywhere …. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well, two feet of snow on the ground in Interior Alaska. Very stormy Fall with lots of precipitation. Rivers all frozen over, mountains are all white, Arctic Ocean freezing over as normal and three weeks to the shortest day of the year. Not seeing anything out of the ordinary up here! Every Winter pretty much the same routine for the last 40 years...

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I agree. I look at it as the scientists do. Ice core samples are very consistent in showing that prior to 1820 that trapped air bubbles in the ice have an average concentration of CO2 of about 280ppm. The current CO2 concentratration of the atmosphere is 417ppm CO2. Ice core samples can be collected up to about as far back as 280,000 years and ocean floor sediments can be collected which date back beyond 20 million of years old show that atmospheric CO2 is higher now than it has been in the last 25 million years. Glacier National park in Montana has about 20 or so glaciers left and back shortly after the park was founded there was an extensive photos taken which show that there were over 100 active glaciers at that time. The rate of glacial melting has really accelerated after the 1980's and if it continues at it present rate there will be no glaciers left within Glacier National Park within 20 more years. Also oceans absorb atmospheric CO2 and dissolved CO2 forms an acidic molecule called carbonic acid and coral reefs are being affected by increased water temperatures and ever decreased PH or acidification of the ocean water which is killing large areas of coral reefs. Yes, Virginia we humans can affect the composition of the atmosphere and we seem to be affecting changes within decades which are acting as stressors to our global flora and fauna and we could be driving an mass extinction known as the anthropogenic extinction which has the potential to kill off many different species of life in both the oceans and on the land masses so it is important that we act as good stewards to the earth and stop dumping millions of tons of CO2 into the atmosphere by continuing to burn fossil fuels which are an accumulation of acient stored biomass which took millions of years to form by burning it and dump all that carbon back into the atmosphere within just a few hundred years. Like it or not we are conducting a large scientific experiment which could end up having a disastrous effects on the climate which could affect the planets diversity of animals and plants and even affect our ability to grow enough food to sustain ourselves.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
================================================

I am glad to see you invested in a Toro Product. no worries about global warming and the lack of snow in some years.

Just be sure to purchase a couple of aerosol spray cans of Fluid Film to coat everything that contacts snow on that beautiful snow blower and you will be fine.

When "our" first serious snow comes along you can save a lot of grief and time by making your first pass down one side of the driveway to the very bottom and then you can start attacking the END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER making sure you cast all the snow and salt crap to the side of the driveway where the plow passes you home to avoid having ice build up on the opposite side.

As long as you take half cuts your snow blower will be able to toss the crap much farther and if you use fluid film you will be able to double your casting distance. I use Fluid Film on my Toro snow pups and I have doubled my snow casting distance.

The moat monsters don't care where you toss the remains of the END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER as they will always enjoy disposing of the END OF DRIVEWAY MONSTER like a pack of starving hyenas.

After your done clearing the driveway it is always best to shut the fuel off and then start the engine and run the fuel out of it and then when it dies again close the choke and start it once more to empty the carburetor as much as possible and then you will have little gasoline left in the carburetor and that cause problems.

If you have a fuel treatment like seafoam or stabil its always a good ideas to add a couple of drops to the tank when you fill it even if you have treated the gas already as its cheap insurance to help protect the fuel system and the engine on that beautiful snow blower.

·
Registered
271 Posts
wrong

9500 years ago there wer NO ice on Earth. Think about that for a moment.

Climate are governed by a cosmic clock, humans have no impact.

The sun will spend 15 minutes sending the same amount of energy to Earth that ALL humans are able to use during 1 year.

Thats 1 over 35000.

relax, we are heading into a New small ice age.

·
Registered
404 Posts
IMHO, this is all about controlling what people do, where they can go, what they eat, what they eat it in or with, what kind car (or truck) they drive, etc. I have not spoken to one alarmist who is willing to give up their laptop, smart phone or $500 Gor-Tex lined coat or fleece for the cause. They all point to wind farms and solar panels as some sort of panacea, which is ridiculous. To the true believers, I point out the following link below and then ask why our 44th President just plunked down $15M for a 7000 sq. ft. house on 29 acres on the ISLAND of Martha's Vineyard. To me, if he was really worried about being under water, he would've purchased some acreage in Iowa.

https://thefederalistpapers.org/us/top-10-climate-change-predictions-gone-spectacularly-wrong

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Well, two feet of snow on the ground in Interior Alaska. Very stormy Fall with lots of precipitation. Rivers all frozen over, mountains are all white, Arctic Ocean freezing over as normal and three weeks to the shortest day of the year. Not seeing anything out of the ordinary up here! Every Winter pretty much the same routine for the last 40 years...
=================================================

Hello Nanook,

I look forward to hearing about the Armored Cavalry divisions coming north for winter maneuvers.

The one year you had little to no snow in Alaska in the early 1980's? the armored divisions were all transported to Fort Drum for winter maneuvers.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I must say I find some of these postings surprising. There is no debate about the reality of climate change. It is real.

Having said that, there is legitimate disagreement as to how much of it is man made and what, if anything, can be done about it. That's a worthwhile discussion.

But denying science is not.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts

When you make statements like this, please cite your sources. The polar ice caps are increasing not decreasing and still the one-world government and financial advocates state that the increase does not mean that there is not global warming. Their data points are limited only to 40 years, which in my personal opinion, means they are not scientists but are advocates. See:

Arctic Sea Ice Is Growing Faster Than Before, But There's A Catch

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevornace/2018/12/10/arctic-sea-ice-is-growing-faster-than-before-but-theres-a-catch/#20a93ad31ef4

Barack Obama just spent $15,000,000 on a shore front home. He is not concerned and neither should be you.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.