Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some mud flap cut up and am ready to mount it on the impellers but I am a bit worried now because I’ve been told that the additional velocity could break the plastic chute.

The chute goes nearly straight up so I don’t really see where the additional velocity could hurt aside from the little hinged end that you can angle up and down. Maybe that part could be pushed from the angled position back to the straight position if you had it down but even then I can’t see it breaking the hinge.

Is this anything I need to be concerned with? If so what is my best option for modification or replacement?

Thanks!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I see that no one has answered your question. Did you do the mod ? I have heard of only one incident where the plastic on the chute was damaged after doing this mod. It was to the bottom of the deflector. It was cracked by a piece of ice that was thrown up against it. The man replaced the deflector then screwed a thin piece of metal sheeting to the underside. Problem solved.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think some people may have issues with the MTD style, polymer side chute/impeller housing insert. The newer style has an overlap molded in that can interfere with a mod. The older inserts use a separate thin metal bracket for the top two bolts and don't have any interference. If you're talking tip speed increase causing issues, no.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have some mud flap cut up and am ready to mount it on the impellers but I am a bit worried now because I’ve been told that the additional velocity could break the plastic chute.

The chute goes nearly straight up so I don’t really see where the additional velocity could hurt aside from the little hinged end that you can angle up and down. Maybe that part could be pushed from the angled position back to the straight position if you had it down but even then I can’t see it breaking the hinge.

Is this anything I need to be concerned with? If so what is my best option for modification or replacement?

Thanks!
Assuming your impeller housing is 12" diameter and your impeller is 11.5" actual diameter (1/4" free space to impeller housing) and the impeller is spinning at 1,000 rpm then the impeller tip speed will be 3,009 ft/min. Using the mod may increase the impeller actual diameter to 12" (0" clearance to impeller housing) which would increase the tip speed to 3,140 ft/min. That would be about a 4.3% increase in tip speed which is unlikely to cause any issues with the plastic chute provided there are no projections to damage the rubber pieces. Some machines do have plastic projections that need to be removed.

Good luck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't see any reason why it would damage the chute. I've also never heard of it damaging a chute either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts