Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this up the other day, it is missing the light (no biggie), but when I check the connection there is a red and black wire. I thought work lights on blowers had a single black feed (the lights I found online only have a single black feed line). Do I need a full circuit light or something or is the wiring set up for something else as well?
This blower came from a friend who purchased it used through a small equipment dealer, it could be cobbled together with other machine parts (?). I should add that I know nothing about Simplicity blowers so this may be the norm. Any comments are appreciated. Pix below.
This engine has no choke, throttle, or off switch. I can only stop the motor by removing the “key.” Is this standard? I don’t like that I can’t throttle it down for a bit before killing the motor.

Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Trunk

Hand Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Automotive tire

Gas Paint Tints and shades Packing materials Bumper

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Wheel Tire

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Many of the newer style engines are only on or off.

Is the frame used as ground?

·
Registered
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many of the newer style engines are only on or off.

Is the frame used as ground?
Not sure if the frame is used as a ground, I am assuming it is. I am planning on going over it fully when I have some time and the weather is nice. I want to check the spark plug but will have to remove some covers to get there.
I guess I understand the lack of engine control items [throttle] a friend gave me a newer Honda lawnmower with similarly no throttle. Have to understand your target market and cater to them. Though when I started it the other day I thought to myself how simple it was, choke on, pull start, choke off, go, was thinking it might be a good one to teach the wife and kids to use.

Not sure if I want to bother with adding the light, but I do want to understand the wiring, I looked at the parts diagram and found the following harness [0570 below]. I understand the light connection but what is the other lead for, heated grips, additional lighting?

Font Auto part Circle Drawing Fashion accessory

·
Registered
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did some digging and that is indeed the harness to connect a light fixture. Maybe it is a universal harness used across the brand that incorporates other features. Looks like the machine is stock all around and carries pretty good ratings. I'll get 'er running and try it out this winter then make a decision.

·
Registered
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is the information out of the Briggs and Stratton alternator wiring guide on page 18. I hope it helps.

View attachment 197256

View attachment 197257

From this diagram the red lead is the alternator DC output and the black wire is the AC headlight output wire. With a single lead for the headlight, the frame is most likely used as a ground.
thanks. For now I just tucked the wires under the cover for another time. No rush to invest anything but labor in to it at this time.

·
Registered
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I pulled the belt cover and was happily surprised to find very new looking belts in place with little to no wear, cleaned up with a damp cloth.

Vehicle Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That machine looks to be in new condition. A good find on your part.
So far so good. Hopefully I don't find something when I service it, everything is hidden by covers on the motor, but based on what I've found so far it will probably be a keeper... until I find something else...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts