Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new to me late 80's Mastercraft 10/26. When i bought it it started right up with no issue.. i changed oil spark plug and new gas.. ran great after that no issues.. the next morning we had lots of snow like 14 inches. so i fired that baby up and snowblowed 6 driveways including mine with no issue it ran like a brand new machine. i parked it in my garage for 5 hours while another 6 inches fell so i went out to fire it up and could not get it to run. Any ideas? the plug gets wet and i have 135 psi compression. so what could it be. ran like new 5 hours earlier... thanks for any ideas.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Sounds like it is not getting spark then. Are you sure you turned it on? Is there a key on the dash? Throttle up far enough to be past stop? If it has a kill switch on the auger was the auger disengaged? Did you try with and without the choke?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I purchased a new to me late 80's Mastercraft 10/26. When i bought it it started right up with no issue.. i changed oil spark plug and new gas.. ran great after that no issues.. the next morning we had lots of snow like 14 inches. so i fired that baby up and snowblowed 6 driveways including mine with no issue it ran like a brand new machine. i parked it in my garage for 5 hours while another 6 inches fell so i went out to fire it up and could not get it to run. Any ideas? the plug gets wet and i have 135 psi compression. so what could it be. ran like new 5 hours earlier... thanks for any ideas.
Well, it ran yesterday until you shut it down. Now the plug is wet and it won't start. While it's possible that the ignition system died mysteriously at just the time you shut it down, I think that you just flooded the engine. Dry off the plug, put it back and try a shot of starting fluid (if you have any). How could the engine get flooded? Well, if the kill switch was on that would do it. If you over-primed it that could also.
I hope this helps,
HDNewf

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the ideas. yes i tried a new plug and nothing.. i also tried putting gas in the head and put plug in and nothing. yes i do have a key system on the dash control part of handle bars is it possible that that key switch is messed up and i could just cut the wire going to it and just tape it off to eliminate that as a concern? I also checked the plug cap for power with a multi meter and i got around 480 dc volts. do you think that is enough to power the spark plug to spark.. its a 10 hp tecumps.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
You could cut the wires, but they should just pull off, most of the ones I have seen just have spade connectors. It would probably be better to disconnect the wires on the engine. There is probably a metal tab on the left side under the carb with a bunch of wires going to it. If you remove that bolt you can isolate the switch and all the safety switches to see if something is shorting out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
just to test only..... disconnect the the ground, usually 1 wire to ignition switch, 1 to a ground, if it runs, then touch the ground to frame see if it shuts down

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok now i have it torn down. i have the fly wheel off and i set the points to 0.020 and and put back together and now i get some spark when flywheel is moving slow and when i pull it faster the spark stops. so it wont fire. do you think i should just buy a new condensor and points and possibly a coil and just put new on. or any ideas on why the spark would work at slow speed and not fast?

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
I have heard that the condensors go bad after a while. How did the points look? Did you clean and sand them? Where they nice and clean and smooth?

Could also be something with the flywheel gap between the flywheel and coil. I have not really messed with them though.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well now that you have the fly wheel off you might as well get new points and condensor and then go from there since it started to have a spark I think you narrowed it down to where the problem is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts