Snowblower Forum banner

Won't start - where do I start?

7K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  time2time 
#1 ·
I'm looking for some help with my 2008 Simplicity with a 10hp B&S engine.

I was snowblowing this AM and it quit running. It acted like it would if it ran out of gas, but there is plenty of gas in the tank. The oil is in the full range.

I usually use the pull start, and when I do, it pulls a little easier than normal. The engine turns, but doesn't start. When I try the electric start, it turns and then backfires something terrible, but won't start.

I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but I've never done any sort of engine work other than swapping out a blown engine on an old Snapper rear-engine rider. Any ideas where to start?

Thanks very much!

#4 ·
The easiest would be to check for spark.
Next would be to pull the fuel line and let it run into a can to see if you get a good strong flow through the hose. Could be water/ice in the tank or line or could be the line deteriorating from the inside if it's restricted.

#6 ·
check for spark, check for fuel. clean the plug. if you have spark and fuel and it won't start, it may have sheared the keyway on the crank, and went out of time.

#8 ·
+1
I agree with Joe. If it is pulling over easy, sounds like a stuck valve allowing compression to blow by, OR, worse case scenario, a broken piston rod. :eek:

#9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have spark and gas (I use a fuel stabilizer in all my gas cans, year round, and we have so much snow here that the gas is fresh). I am out of time today, so I'll have to wait until next weekend to work on it more.

This was supposed to replace my 25 year old blower, which was to become a backup. Thank goodness I have that old machine.

#14 ·
Since it backfires it seems you have some spark and some gas. My old B&S backfires quite easily except when under load. My next step, since it would only take a minute, i'd take the plug out and see if its wet, then make sure its dry, don't choke it, but pour a little gas down the hole, replace plug and spin it over a few times and see if it just fires up. I'm thinking that if you had a gas flow problem by doing this you would circumvent it enough to find out.

#15 ·
No harm in verifying the easy things.

That said, the fact that the recoil start pulls easily seems like a hint that would point you to compression. Since the symptoms came on suddenly, simple wear (ie: worn rings) seem less likely, and seem to suggest that something failed suddenly.

Compression test will eliminate a large number of things and help narrow things down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.