Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you believe that the arrangement of Wooly Bullys' fur is a predictor of the kind of winter we are likley to have?

They say that brown parts indicate milder weather and the black, cold.

I have to say since I've been taking notice of them, the last decade or so, they have usually been very accurate!

The ones I've seen this year had black start and finish with brown in the middle - a mild winter with colder start and finish! We'll see!

Attachments

·
Registered
737 Posts
We call those "Woolly Bear's". Always fun to see if their predictions come true! We used to think that the winter would be cold and long if the woolly bear had a lot of thick fur. I see that the Farmer's Almanac talks about your method.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
In my neck of the woods, we always called them Wooly Buggers. That would be so cool if the winter forecasting is true.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm an immigrant into the mountain community and am very blessed to have been warmly accepted up here.

Up this way, they call them both woolly bullys and woolly worms. My neighbours taught me the weather forecasting from their fur. So far it's been accurate. I just think they are extremely cute and get a great deal of satisfaction rescuing them from spiders' web etc.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
That's great.

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
It was 6 degrees at my house this morning. been almost like this for the last couple weeks.

5800 elev. near Lake Tahoe

rain and snow coming in Weds, Thurs, Fri

YAY!!!!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
6F is cold!

The Blue Ridge Mountains are old so they've had all their height worn down, most of the highest points are in the 3 - 4 thousand feet category here. It gets very windy up here which tends to drive temperatures down via wind chill.

I've noticed the last 5 years or so that rather than getting straight rain or straight snow that temperatures are a couple of degrees higher now and hover between the water and freeze line. I think in a few years' time most machines are going to rebranded as 'slushblowers' !!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have only ever seen these caterpillars with this pattern : black - brown - black. Never seen them any other way, yet our winters can differ quite a lot from a year to another.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Life is old there, older than the trees
Younger than the mountains, blowing like a breeze.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have only ever seen these caterpillars with this pattern : black - brown - black. Never seen them any other way, yet our winters can differ quite a lot from a year to another.
Most of them do have a mix of brown and black. However, since I've been over here, about 10 years, we've had two crazy snow events, like 3 feet of snow each storm. One was in 2010 and the other a couple of years later but both years most of the Wooly Bullys I saw were virtually all black.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I too have seen a Woolly this fall about a month ago, and he had more brown in the middle..Now a few years back I saw one that's was mostly black with small amount of brown in middle and that was a cold snowy winter....We will see who is the Weather bee...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well it looks like the Wooley Bear got it right again here in the Northeast, very mild and little snow...He's 2-2 in my book , few years back predicted a cold and snowy one and he was right....Forget that stupid Woodchuck stuff...The Wooley Bear rules supreme....Just have to be lucky to see one in Sept- Oct.. crawling around...that's the hard part...

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Well it looks like the Wooley Bear got it right again here in the Northeast, very mild and little snow..

huh.I also live in the North-East and our winter was very cold with a ton of snow! ;)
the exact opposite of what you are saying..

I guess "north east" is too big to generalize for the whole region..

Scot

·
Registered
43 Posts
huh.I also live in the North-East and our winter was very cold with a ton of snow! ;)
the exact opposite of what you are saying..

I guess "north east" is too big to generalize for the whole region..

Scot
I assume you live in the Great lake region on NY. state,, IE Buffalo.. I use to live in Fort Drum, NY. .. you have your own climate there. that is not considered the Northeast... N.J, NYC, Lower Hudson Valley, Conn, R.I.. Mass. are the N.E. regions...

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
I assume you live in the Great lake region on NY. state,, IE Buffalo.. I use to live in Fort Drum, NY. .. you have your own climate there. that is not considered the Northeast... N.J, NYC, Lower Hudson Valley, Conn, R.I.. Mass. are the N.E. regions...
I've lived in Upstate NY my entire life..
we are very much in the North-East! ;)
always have been..google, and maps, agree: ;)

http://getmelisted.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Map-Of-Northeast-Usa-usa-region-northeast-previewfull-maps-.jpg

New York state, New Jersey and Pennsylvania are all part of the North East, but they are not part of New England.

Scot

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've lived in Upstate NY my entire life..
we are very much in the North-East! ;)
always have been..google, and maps, agree: ;)

http://getmelisted.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Map-Of-Northeast-Usa-usa-region-northeast-previewfull-maps-.jpg

New York state, New Jersey and Pennsylvania are all part of the North East, but they are not part of New England.

Scot
Upstate NY., Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, are Northern Tier States...And were not talking about New England, that's a different category all together..:nerd:

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
all the human predictors were wrong in our area. they were saying the drought would be back since our area very rarely has back to back big winters.

i watched the birds and squirrels and they were chowing down and collecting seeds we put out all fall.

they were right. we had a wetter than usual winter and it's still on.

Lake Tahoe area

1 - 18 of 18 Posts