Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Just talking about something like that with someone, nice Idea.

What's the lift capacity thar?

And is that a beer holder laid into the northwest corner...? :D
Nice.
And the timing is amazing because YR and I were just discussing this offline.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It's a 2000 lb. worm gear winch on it, but I would not try to put that kinda weight on it. Weight-wise the limiting factor is probably the upper post mount. It should easily be able to lift an entire snowblower. It's a relatively light duty unit that is meant to save my back from bending over all the time. I can run it up and down with my 18v cordless drill with the weight of the Briggs on it. I have 5/8" jam bolts on the table so I can lock it down to remove the "wiggle" factor. I had to add a roller top and bottom of the platform carrier because it would bind whenever I tried to lower it.

I'll need a bigger beer mug to fit that hole, lol! I cut that hole so I could lay the BobCat case on it's side with the axle still in it. I plan to eventually make a shallow drain pan the same size as the table (24"x36") with a drain in that corner.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
A stronger design I was considering was to mount a pulley sheave inside the tube at the top of the post. You could then run the cable over it and back down to the table carrier. This would double the winch capacity but cut the speed in half. I figure for my purposes it wasn't necessary.
Edit: I just put my simplicity 8560EI and even the cordless drill could raise it. By hand it was effortless!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Very nice !! Doors make for some great tables and benches , nice to see one as a lift as well :2cool:
Ha, I have 4 accordion type slabs, laid across 4 saw horses, cinched down with two ratchet straps.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
A stronger design I was considering was to mount a pulley sheave inside the tube at the top of the post. You could then run the cable over it and back down to the table carrier. This would double the winch capacity but cut the speed in half. I figure for my purposes it wasn't necessary.
Edit: I just put my simplicity 8560EI and even the cordless drill could raise it. By hand it was effortless!
Might consider a ramp, mounted to a hinge. Similar to those that have on automotive lifts. When the lift raises, the ramp drops down, and flips up to become a stop.

Might also consider outrigger legs, to take some of the stress off your ceiling mount.

Great idea, and nice design though!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
GMH. Everything you do is awesome. Do you mind me asking where you got all those skills that goes along with your natural born talent?

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am a journeyman sheet metal mechanic and run a commercial/industrial HVAC fab shop. I enjoy inventing things like this lift and other tools or devices to make jobs go quicker, easier, or safer.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I am a journeyman sheet metal mechanic and run a commercial/industrial HVAC fab shop.I enjoy inventing things like this lift and other tools or devices to make jobs go quicker, easier, or safer.
I remember from back in my tin folding / knocking days that .040 was pretty stiff to fold up and .050 was about the thickest I ever wanted to fold up on a 10 ' brake by myself :icon_whistling: Seemed overkill to me but I guess the engineers didn't want that coping or gravel stop to ever blow away from the perimeter of those school roofs:icon_whistling:
Looks like you used a box and pan brake as well. :)

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Harbor Freight has a 7 ft long by 24 inch wide motorcyle lift that is the cat's ass for snowblowers.....gives a 30 inch lift . I put a four foot sheet of plywood on it and it doubles as a lawn tractor lift.....$299.......you can't cobble something together and have it work as well for less......

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I added a 1/8 aluminum top to it, so I can use it to weld on. I also made a drip pan that fits on top for any messy jobs I might encounter.
Why did you go with an aluminum top instead of steel? Nice workshop!
Weld splatter won't stick to the aluminum.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Looks great and something that a small engine repair business would find useful. My shops small and doubles for woodworking so I have just about everything on wheels. My Bobcat is on its own stand where it waits.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts