Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I'd share this. Right now I'm working on an older Toro 6/24 from 1987-1988, I got from my buddy. According to the Toro Snowblower history page. It was considered part of the intermediate line of their snowblowers, which were all pretty heavy duty at the time. Its funny too, because by today's standards, this would definitely be considered a heavy duty Snow Thrower. This one seems a little more rare its a 6/24 model 38065. The history page only mentioned a 5 and 7/24. Anyway its a really well built machine. Just about all metal. It has Tecumseh's classic reliable H block H60, 6hp engine. It has a self adjusting scraper which is in near perfect condition. It has nice Knobby tires arguably better than Snohogs and more like todays x-tracs, nice for 1987! I like how the throttle cable and key switch are right up on the dash on these, no fiddling around down below. The drive and gear selection setup is nice. Its simple yet very effective, 3 forward speeds and 2 reverse. The reverse speeds actually have some balls to them, unlike a lot of machines that barely move in reverse. The forwards are straight forward 1st, slow-heavy snow, 2nd, moderately fast, intermediate amount of snow, 3rd-fast small amounts of snow for quick passes and transport. Inside the gearbox, their are two friction plates when you put the unit in a forward gear the friction disk travels forward onto the front friction plate, reverse and it travels backwards to a back friction plate. It has your typical one and two wheel drive settings with a selection of which hole you put the quick pin in, on the left wheel. The impeller and belly are a nice large diameter for better intake and the drum augers are a nice anti clogging design, which allows the machine to take in as much snow as it can handle and draw out what it cant thru the front. Things I have had to do to this machine were clean its fuel system, clean out the tank, clean the carb and replace the fuel line. It was missing its heater cover, but I had a spare one laying around that was white, I painted red. The skid shoes it had were shot, I had a nice pair of red double sided ones that fit, I put on. The safety interlock handle was broken, so I ended up removing the safety interlock system and wiring completely. Now it operates more like an Ariens 10,000 series, but still safer, because the controls are still all right up on the dash, with a little common sense its safe to use and the throttle kill is right their on the dash. A few small areas needed a little touching up paint. Oil change. It needs a wash, which I'm about to give it now and this little devil will be good to go. I have an electric starter, I will be adding to it. The tires have already been tubed by its previous owner, the friction disk and belts were in great shape. The unit runs smooth and strong, starts easy and is in excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition. The unit was and is in overall great shape and it will be for sale once I get done with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
A very thorough description. I liked it, nice reading. It's a shame the heavy dutiness of snowblowers is no longer there.

Reactions: Dusty

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Looks good. And you're right, there aren't many of the 624s out there. I think only 1988, 89 and 90. I've worked on several 524s and 724s, and I currently have a 724. They were all very well built, and aside from the sometimes wonky safety interlocks, are easy to use.

tx

Reactions: Dusty

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
If you're handy with a soldering iron, I reverse engineered the toro's 41-8601 interlock module.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Toro is done and ready to go. Came out really nice. This ones a gem! They made these really well, now wonder Toro is still a competitor of Ariens. Think I'm gonna list this one for $400 for the winter. Units Immaculate!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Wow !! What all did you paint? what type of paint?

tx

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow !! What all did you paint? what type of paint?

tx
The only thing on their that I painted was the heater cover. It was missing. I had a spare one, it was white, so I had to paint it to match. Oh and I sanded the muffler and painted it with high heat black rustoleum grill paint, because it was rusty brown. The rest of it is original. I sprayed and wiped a coat of fluid film onto the machine after. Thats it aside from that, the unit is stock original.
Its one of the cleanest examples of one of these Toros still out their at this point. It is in the top 5 best snowblowers I ever worked on. It was a real pleasure, these units were really well built. They do not make them like they used too. Heres a short start and run video I made. Its now for sale.

Reactions: paulm12

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Great machine Dusty, one of the best original condition Toros I have seen.
There are so many of these vintage Toros out there still going strong, which attests to how well built and designed they were.
Do you know the back story of this machine, why it is in such great condition and seen little use over the years?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts