I figured I'd share this. Right now I'm working on an older Toro 6/24 from 1987-1988, I got from my buddy. According to the Toro Snowblower history page. It was considered part of the intermediate line of their snowblowers, which were all pretty heavy duty at the time. Its funny too, because by today's standards, this would definitely be considered a heavy duty Snow Thrower. This one seems a little more rare its a 6/24 model 38065. The history page only mentioned a 5 and 7/24. Anyway its a really well built machine. Just about all metal. It has Tecumseh's classic reliable H block H60, 6hp engine. It has a self adjusting scraper which is in near perfect condition. It has nice Knobby tires arguably better than Snohogs and more like todays x-tracs, nice for 1987! I like how the throttle cable and key switch are right up on the dash on these, no fiddling around down below. The drive and gear selection setup is nice. Its simple yet very effective, 3 forward speeds and 2 reverse. The reverse speeds actually have some balls to them, unlike a lot of machines that barely move in reverse. The forwards are straight forward 1st, slow-heavy snow, 2nd, moderately fast, intermediate amount of snow, 3rd-fast small amounts of snow for quick passes and transport. Inside the gearbox, their are two friction plates when you put the unit in a forward gear the friction disk travels forward onto the front friction plate, reverse and it travels backwards to a back friction plate. It has your typical one and two wheel drive settings with a selection of which hole you put the quick pin in, on the left wheel. The impeller and belly are a nice large diameter for better intake and the drum augers are a nice anti clogging design, which allows the machine to take in as much snow as it can handle and draw out what it cant thru the front. Things I have had to do to this machine were clean its fuel system, clean out the tank, clean the carb and replace the fuel line. It was missing its heater cover, but I had a spare one laying around that was white, I painted red. The skid shoes it had were shot, I had a nice pair of red double sided ones that fit, I put on. The safety interlock handle was broken, so I ended up removing the safety interlock system and wiring completely. Now it operates more like an Ariens 10,000 series, but still safer, because the controls are still all right up on the dash, with a little common sense its safe to use and the throttle kill is right their on the dash. A few small areas needed a little touching up paint. Oil change. It needs a wash, which I'm about to give it now and this little devil will be good to go. I have an electric starter, I will be adding to it. The tires have already been tubed by its previous owner, the friction disk and belts were in great shape. The unit runs smooth and strong, starts easy and is in excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition. The unit was and is in overall great shape and it will be for sale once I get done with it.
3.6 MB Views: 100