Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an opportunity to buy an Ariens snowblower from a store that gets returns and overstock items. I talked to them on the phone and have not seen the machines. If I buy one of these, I'm leaning toward the Compact 24 which he described as slightly used and is priced at $499. He also has a Classic 24, described as new for $559.

Would members here buy an Ariens machine that had been returned? What do you think of these prices? He described these machines as this years models, so would the warranty still be in effect for me?

Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would, provided I could look over the mavhine throughly, start it up, run it, make sure everything is good. If the warranty is there fine, if not I'd try to haggle on price if I found something wrong. I know what to look for in a used machine, not many will know those kind of details unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
Strange that the Compact 24 is cheaper than the Classic.

If you can check it over and determine its a good working machine, $500 or half price of new seems to be a pretty good deal. I’d go for the Compact. Better gearbox.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
:welcome: to SBF dakota

:iagree: You want to check it over good as there was a reason the previous owner returned it. Might be something as simple as it was too big or didn't know how to adjust or operate it properly so they thought it was junk. Or they found something brighter and shinier and went for that one.

You want to be able to fire it up and listen to the engine, check out the paint inside the bucket and in the chute to see is it was chewing gravel. I'd ask them to tip it up on the bucket in the "Service Position" and pull the trans cover to see if there is signs of the friction disc or belt material in there.
If you do buy one, after you get it home I'd still go through all the set up instructions and adjustments before you go to use it to make sure it's assembled and adjusted properly.
I haven't bought a new blower in decades and except for the engine a warranty where I have to load & take them the machine or pay to have it picked up really isn't much use to me. It's usually easier and quicker for me to fix it myself.
That said if there isn't a warranty it's another bargaining chip in your favor. If there is one, that should be stated in writing before you hand over the cash :wink2:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I would look it over and go for the compact 24, much better than the classic, Classic is the lowest model painted Ariens orange, Compact has better tires, bigger engine and a headlight over the classic.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
I'm not saying this is the case but sometimes people buy an item to accomplish a certain task only to return it claiming it's defective. Believe me, it happens quite a bit. Some tilling needs done to loosen soil for leveling a pool, mowing a wildly overgrown lawn or removing a ton of snow left by a blizzard. Wood splitters often fall into this category as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate the tips and ideas to check out. The store is 50 miles from me, hopefully I can get there early this week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update to my original post: I made it up to the Home Improvement Warehouse in Princeton, MN to check out these machines. I passed on buying them because I might get a new machine with auto turn. If anyone is interested, I found the machines to be as decribed. I did not start them. The classic 24 ($560) looked new and in great shape. The compact 24 ($500) was described as used with some corrosion, possibly from being kept outside in the garden center or buy the front door near a salty sidewalk. I would guess it was outside for more than one winter season.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Just keep an eye out on craigslist and facebook marketplace. Something will come up that fits your needs and pocketbook.
New with Auto-Turn would be nice. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I wonder what dakota decided to do, Would like to see what he decided and how he likes the machine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Dauntae, I didn't buy a machine yet. I'm thinking about spending more money and getting a snowblower with auto turn.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate the tips and ideas to check out. The store is 50 miles from me, hopefully I can get there early this week.

Hey Dakota....I actually think I did buy a returned Ariens. My dealer had this 2 year old Ariens, that they said had been used around the dealership to clear snow.
Or who knows, maybe a return...it really doesn't matter to me anyway.It was in almost perfect condition...one scratch which I fixed. The paint inside the bucket and chute were like brand new. 2 things really sold me on it....I got for it a huge reduction in price, and the honoured it with the Ariens full warranty. I've had 2 small issues that they covered under warranty without a problem.:smile2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts