Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got YS624T which runs and moves fine, but does not throw snow properly, only about 5 feet.

Disassembled the blower and found the culprit, the impeller is badly damaged, all fins are bent almost 45 degrees back. I can't imagine what the previous owner tried to blow, but that is not snow related damage?

Will replace all three bearings at the same time, now that the blower is disassembled. Also changing oil to forward auger gears.

Anyone got a used but ok spare for reasonable price? Keeping in mind that I live in Finland, so shipping and customs clearance and VAT will add to the value of the item?

I don't have any equipment to mend the part :(

IF you have the part for reasonable price, please PM me.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
I PM'd you.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Welcome to SBF blackis. I think your impeller is fixable with common hand tools if you try. I would remove the impeller and place each blade on a thick block of wood and use a BIG hammer to straighten them out. After straightening, if the space between the impeller tips and the auger housing is more than 1/4" (8mm) I would add an impeller kit that is commonly used by members on this forum.

Also check your shear pins and make sure the auger belt is good to eliminate them as the reason for the machines poor performance.

Reactions: aldfam4

·
Registered
893 Posts
There's a couple of them for sale on ebay, this seller in particular will ship worldwide:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Impeller-7KA-51635-00-33-YS-624T-YS-624W-Yamaha-Snow-Blower-Thrower/173683530338?hash=item2870585a62:g:LLsAAOSwa3FcDVXv:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!02052!US!-1

The other one for sale appears to be in much better shape (but it's USA only). Maybe find a friend in the US that would send it to Finland for you?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-YS624-Snow-Blower-Impeller-Good-Condition-7Y6-51636-01-00-YS-624/143070245703?hash=item214fa6b347:g:xN4AAOSw~vNb~xJP

Additionally, there was talk that the impeller from the new YT624 may fit because they both have a 20mm shaft diameter, but the new impeller is $400.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Welcome to SBF blackis. I think your impeller is fixable with common hand tools if you try. I would remove the impeller and place each blade on a thick block of wood and use a BIG hammer to straighten them out. After straightening, if the space between the impeller tips and the auger housing is more than 1/4" (8mm) I would add an impeller kit that is commonly used by members on this forum.

Also check your shear pins and make sure the auger belt is good to eliminate them as the reason for the machines poor performance.
I removed the impeller as to asses the damage. As you can see even the base of the impeller is bent. One of the spot welded additional plates on the bottom has 2 spot welds opened.

Can't imagine what the previous owner was trying to throw, I don't think snow.

You really think I could salvage this with a hammer?

I would like to get qoute of the YT624 impellers price. I just can't find any parts catalogues for that blower online, and my local seller Yamaha seller says they can't find parts for YT624. Does anyone here know the impellers part number?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
If a new/used impeller can't be found for what you consider a reasonable price, I personally would be beating that one back into shape because I like the challenge. A 4 pound sledge hammer, blocks of wood, a piece of steel bar to get into corners, a good pair of work gloves and probably a propane torch would do it. The welds could be repaired by anyone you know with a welder.

Have you checked the auger gear box for any damage? I can't imagine what twisted the impeller and not break something more sacrificial.

Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If a new/used impeller can't be found for what you consider a reasonable price, I personally would be beating that one back into shape because I like the challenge. A 4 pound sledge hammer, blocks of wood, a piece of steel bar to get into corners, a good pair of work gloves and probably a propane torch would do it. The welds could be repaired by anyone you know with a welder.

Have you checked the auger gear box for any damage? I can't imagine what twisted the impeller and not break something more sacrificial.

Good luck.
No problem on the augers, they rotate well. Gonna change the oil before putting it together, of course :)

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
Got a 50 ton press handy??????? and a welder??????? had to do that with my impeller on "SR". He was coming apart at the seams. Anyhoo, ALOHA From The Paradise City. :smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027:

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
I agree with the others on repairing the original impeller. It will be cheaper and easier in the long run. You could bring it to a local welding shop or perhaps an auto body shop. The bent gussets could be cut out (torch or sawzall), Heat and beat the backer plate and that will most likely pull the flights back in position. Weld in some new gussets, install a seal kit and install.

GLuck, Jay

·
Registered
579 Posts
There's a couple of them for sale on ebay, this seller in particular will ship worldwide:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Impeller-7KA-51635-00-33-YS-624T-YS-624W-Yamaha-Snow-Blower-Thrower/173683530338?hash=item2870585a62:g:LLsAAOSwa3FcDVXv:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!02052!US!-1

The other one for sale appears to be in much better shape (but it's USA only). Maybe find a friend in the US that would send it to Finland for you?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-YS624-Snow-Blower-Impeller-Good-Condition-7Y6-51636-01-00-YS-624/143070245703?hash=item214fa6b347:g:xN4AAOSw~vNb~xJP

Additionally, there was talk that the impeller from the new YT624 may fit because they both have a 20mm shaft diameter, but the new impeller is $400.
Nice find db130!

·
Registered
579 Posts
A friend came through, he made new impeller for the blower. Now it seems to work fine :)
Judging from the first picture looking into your auger box and impeller housing, there looks to be a significant gap between the impeller tip and housing, more than 1/4 inch as one of forum members suggested - impeller mod would definitely help you there. In addition, in the first picture again, on your auger shaft to the left - it looks like a hardware bolt serving as a shear bolt, that could be bad. Not sure about Yamahas and whether they use the shear bolts though. Just my two cents. Good Luck blackis.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Judging from the first picture looking into your auger box and impeller housing, there looks to be a significant gap between the impeller tip and housing, more than 1/4 inch as one of forum members suggested - impeller mod would definitely help you there. In addition, in the first picture again, on your auger shaft to the left - it looks like a hardware bolt serving as a shear bolt, that could be bad. Not sure about Yamahas and whether they use the shear bolts though. Just my two cents. Good Luck blackis.
Yeah the previous owner has changed the shear bolts to normal bolts. Unfortunately I can' t change the one on the left, it is stuck, and the bolt head has already burrowed in the auger "hole". Tried to get it out when the glower was in parts, but it would not come out. The one on the right I will change to a real shear bolt.

I will measure the gap.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So made the chute lining today, from 2 mm plastic. It seems to make a differene, blower seems to throw 3 feet farther now :)

The blower chute turning is really stiff when the chute goes to middle setting ( blowing forward) have to help with other hand by turning the chute and at same time turning the handle. I suspect the grease which I used is not working. It is red.

What would be the best lubricant between the plastic collar and the chute?

Used the blower today for 20 min and it seems to leak oil...somewhere. It is not a big leak, but still, would like to repair that. Any typical leak points? it maybe leaks from the gasket between engine and the engine front cover (cover where the crankshaft comes out).

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts