Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here and also have a new to me Yamaha YT624 purchased it a few weeks ago. It had only about 2 hours use on it from last year the guy upgraded to the ys1028. The machine has been great so far although the shock has failed on it but the dealer will replace that on Wednesday. We are getting up to 50 cm (almost 20") of snow tonight so thankfully the machine is still useable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just took the blower out the shock has completely failed. I hope the dealer doesn't give me too much grief on replacing it (4 years left on warranty). The machine is fairly hard to use now all it wants to do is climb in the snow.

·
Registered
278 Posts
That is severely frustrating.

Warranty does not help get the snow off the driveway
You might try hanging weights on the front to get you through for now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The big problem is the shock is now not grabbing any more. Before it just wouldn't expand as it should id have to step on the track to push them back to the ground. I could use vise grips on the shaft to keep the shock from retracting but fear the dealer will think I had damaged the shock.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Agreed its a bad idea to mess with the shock.

You might look at just removing it and putting a piece of wood in there. Loose attachment at each end but enough to keep it from bucking back. Not pretty but get the job done for now. Wish I was a neighbor, I have the stuff to do things like that.

My roll up door spring broke, I rigged this up to open the door until I can get the spring in (and it warms up, we are down in the -15 and -20F are (-30C area) - I do a lot of stuff like that around the house and used to do it at work.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Going to go to the Yamaha dealer in the morning if they are open and see if I can buy a new shock and replace the old one myself and have them warranty it and give me the money back. The shock new is $306 Canadian taxes in, I don't want to eat that cost. I went to the dealer Saturday to see about doing this but the service department wasn't open only the parts department so I could only get a price on a new shock. I don't care if they want the old shock back and they can check over the new shock on Wednesday when they have the machine for its first service. As for rigging up something with the machine I could do something like that being a Journeyman Welder and apprentice mechanic I have had to do all sorts of things like that but I want to try and avoid it if I can. If the shock wasn't so ridiculous in price I would have just bought it Saturday and not even worry about warranty. But at $300 + its pretty **** expensive

·
Registered
271 Posts
624 from Norway

New here and also have a new to me Yamaha YT624 purchased it a few weeks ago. It had only about 2 hours use on it from last year the guy upgraded to the ys1028. The machine has been great so far although the shock has failed on it but the dealer will replace that on Wednesday. We are getting up to 50 cm (almost 20") of snow tonight so thankfully the machine is still useable.

Here is a picture of a Norwegian YT624 2018 model doing 20 inches packed snow 2 days ago, my brother has this machine.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
There was a recall on the shock. Yamaha was replacing them regardless. Mine wasn't bad but they still replaced it. Just snap a pair of vicegrips meanwhile.

·
Registered
271 Posts
dumb

There was a recall on the shock. Yamaha was replacing them regardless. Mine wasn't bad but they still replaced it. Just snap a pair of vicegrips meanwhile.

Hi,

I Wonder what you mean by "shock". (sorry if that is a very stupid question)

I have a 2014 YT1028, do they have this issue?

Dag

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
The locking shock that holds the height of the auger released by the pedal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dealer is replacing it tomorrow for now I have been running with vise grips as they advised. Wanted to talk to them first. Good bunch couldn't get me in today as they were only open half a day.

·
Registered
278 Posts

The issue is that if he damages the old one, how is the dealer to know it was not some kind of abuse in the first place?

Easy to flip that out if you are not the one on the pointy end of the bill nor the dealer trying to assess it.

He did the right thing and made sure before he did it.

As far a jury rig I had in mind a temp setup that just used the mount points but did not change anything. Idea only, I don't have the picture in front of me, mine is the old foot pedal type with no strut.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The issue is that if he damages the old one, how is the dealer to know it was not some kind of abuse in the first place?

Easy to flip that out if you are not the one on the pointy end of the bill nor the dealer trying to assess it.

He did the right thing and made sure before he did it.

As far a jury rig I had in mind a temp setup that just used the mount points but did not change anything. Idea only, I don't have the picture in front of me, mine is the old foot pedal type with no strut.
The last thing one wants to do is do something without the dealer giving the go ahead. That what I said to the service manager too I didn't want to have them think I screwed the shock up. He said use the vise grips and do what I have to to use the machine and theyd fix it tomorrow. Good bunch, im used to always having issues with warranties.

Overall I am happy with the Yamaha and the service. Could be worse I could have bought a clog o matic "Red" machine. :smile_big:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All fixed. With 99cm about 39 inches since Christmas day this snow blower has and should continue to get a workout.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Good deal.

That is a heck of a lot of snow!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another potential 20 cm on the way tonight. Had the machine out last night doing some additional clearing by my parents. Wanted to move some frozen snow near their front steps and fence (they live right on the side of the rd). This snow was frozen hard like concrete. The blower cut through it and tossed it 40 feet. Regular snow this thing will throw 50 feet cutting through frozen ice snow cuts the distance a bit. Overall I am very impressed. The dealer has said once they replace the shock they never see them back for another shock replacement. Mine is a 2019 model.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What year is your snowblower? Mines 2 years old and shocks starting to act up but still works. Prob see about getting it replaced soon before warranty runs out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What year is your snowblower? Mines 2 years old and shocks starting to act up but still works. Prob see about getting it replaced soon before warranty runs out.

2019 Get it fixed while under warranty. The shock is $266 plus tax for you to buy. Pretty expensive. Atlantic Recreation will warranty it if your machine still has warranty. They told me they have done lots of them but haven't had a machine come back for a second one. Mine probably had 10 hours use on it before it failed.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Another potential 20 cm on the way tonight. Had the machine out last night doing some additional clearing by my parents. Wanted to move some frozen snow near their front steps and fence (they live right on the side of the rd). This snow was frozen hard like concrete. The blower cut through it and tossed it 40 feet. Regular snow this thing will throw 50 feet cutting through frozen ice snow cuts the distance a bit. Overall I am very impressed. The dealer has said once they replace the shock they never see them back for another shock replacement. Mine is a 2019 model.

I am envious. All we have is -17F! (and a bad battery in one rig that gets replaced when I get some sunshine out front)

1 - 20 of 72 Posts