Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to possibly pick up this Yard King 8/27 for < $100. Looks to be in very rust free condition. The owner says the gas tank leaks a little. Thoughts? Does Murray make this? Can I still can a manual for this online? Appreciate all your thoughts.

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
If it's all operational, I think it's worth a hundred. If the motor is bad these have adjustable engine mounts so just about anything will bolt up (like a $99 predator 212 if you don't mind pull start, not much more than a replacement fuel tank) The tank may just need a gasket or it could have freeze crack. The front ends are thin and cheaply made on these, the auger bend easily and the sheet metal is rust prone, but they perform adequately for cheap blowers. This model has been in production for many seasons and has been rebranded by nearly every consumer brand you can think of including John Deere and Sears. Many color schemes were available. The plus side is lots of used parts are readily available and these are good for taller operators, plus they have large snow hog tires. The down side is these are light duty and rust prone and lack resale value.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Bargain, Buy it.

I have the same machine but a Noma 9/27". Also a Murray made - Craftsman 10/29", Dynamark 8/26", Noma 5/24". I think they all are great machines.

I don't think the augers bend easily, metal is as thick or thicker than the machines today, not light duty, it has some weight to it, not any more prone to rust than an Ariens, and I can sell them (if there's snow!).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. Two more questions. What color is the orange on that snow blower? Does it match anything commercially available? Finally, see the pic below. The auger looks small in the bucket to me. Is that the original auger?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I have an orange, 2 black, and 2 different grays.

All mine have a 12" impeller, check "yours".

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yes that is the original auger, And I meant the rakes can bend (at least on the ones I've seen around here. rusty bent tines and corroded rake shafts) That one is still in very good condition, must not have been used in a lot of salt. It's worth 100 and like I said a predator will have enough juice to power it if that engine is junk (although if the chassis is any indicator the motor is probably still good, find a used tank)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any thoughts on where I could get paint to match it off the shelf (pumpkin orange??)

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I'd find the fuel leak and use Super Glue or smear epoxy over the leak.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
@evh,

Good buy at 100 imo.

Orange spray paint has many variables out there … That does look bright enough to be Pumpkin Orange.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If it's all operational, I think it's worth a hundred. If the motor is bad these have adjustable engine mounts so just about anything will bolt up (like a $99 predator 212 if you don't mind pull start, not much more than a replacement fuel tank) The tank may just need a gasket or it could have freeze crack. The front ends are thin and cheaply made on these, the auger bend easily and the sheet metal is rust prone, but they perform adequately for cheap blowers. This model has been in production for many seasons and has been rebranded by nearly every consumer brand you can think of including John Deere and Sears. Many color schemes were available. The plus side is lots of used parts are readily available and these are good for taller operators, plus they have large snow hog tires. The down side is these are light duty and rust prone and lack resale value.
i have a yard King signature 9/29. I would say this is all very accurate. Not all the parts are available anymore- I had to make my own chute deflector (it came out really good the 2nd time using a linear actuator).
And the belt fitment is horrible (on mine). I changed the pulley and am running an alternative belt size.
I'd say it's worth $100.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes, definitely a Murray-built machine. I have one which I completely restored last year and I'm very happy with the results. I used it last winter and it blows snow quite far! Great machine and I've never bent any auger blade and about the sheet metal, it ain't worse than any other brand, they ALL rust sooner or later. The problem with them rusting is that manufacturers don't use any metal preparation, and no primer. They have to look good on the showroom floor but they (the manufacturers) couldn't care less once the machines are sold, sad but true. There were made in several color combinations depending under which brand they were sold (Yard-King, Murray, Noma, Montgomery Ward, Brute, etc)... Mine's a 2004 "Brute 10/29" yellow & black. To the original thread starter...: at $100. it is definitely a steal! 🔥 Go get it before the seller changes his mind!
Good luck!
Claude.😉
DSCN5934.JPG
DSCN5932.JPG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts