Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a minute or 2 to waste at Menards yesterday. I took a quick peek at the cheap(?) $599 Yard Machines. Not impressed at all by them. I will keep the old girls, thank you very much...:wink2:

·
Registered
669 Posts
While I shop there regularly enough to have a never-ending stream of 11% rebates processing and know where everything is located store to store, one thing through the years I have never bought of theirs is a Yard Machine of any type.

I look at them, and the first thing that comes to mind is "disposable". For all I know they may be great value equipment, but I simply have never bought one of any type before.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Agree - when you are going to keep something for 30 years, best to invest a little more, and be happy for those 30 years. Similar to a wife !

·
Registered
235 Posts
While I consider myself as having a rather low end machine (bought used out of need, didn't pay attention to brand), when I see the REAL low end brands in big box stores I am happy I have this one. These are definitely disposable. Cheap, but also cheaply built.

When it quits, my next one will likely be a Toro. I bought a zero turn Toro mower and I'm quite impressed by its quality despite being Toro's lower end consumer product.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I've seen decent "cheap" machines, and really crappy "cheap" machines. Has more to do with the model than the brand. Granted, some compay's entire model line is better than others, but they are also twice the price. I had a "cheap" MTD that lasted 18 years, and I sold it for $300, and as far as I know, it's still in use.

Maintenance plays a very large role in longevity.

·
Registered
668 Posts
There are so many lightly used high quality machines on Craigslist at very cost friendly prices, it boggles my mind why anyone would spend more money on a low quality piece of junk just because it's new and has bright shinny red augers. It's unfortunate, but some folks don't know...what they don't know...

·
Registered
175 Posts
I bought a Yard Machine 179 cc. Blower directly from the manufacturer. Second season now no problem whatsoever except for the ethanol thing that is. Have to be willing to do the scheduled maintenance. A bit of a learning curve with these Chinese clones but they're on everything now big and small. Had to rethink my storage plan, that's all. I'm all over it now. So impressed with this little guy that I bought a backup. These seem to run stronger and start much easier. These little guy's have everything I need (with the mods that I did) but a fuel shut off but there's an work around for that. I plan on these being the last blowers I will have to use. Had a larger 8.5 hp with all the goodies. The $260.00 starter went out on me right after the warranty expired. Never again. Gassed up the YM today for this weekend. It cranked right up. It's ready to go. Expecting 6 to 8 inches. 28 degrees with 25 mph winds, finish up with 2-3 inches of rain. Guess I'll see how well that coffee cup holder works. That balaclava is going to come in handy. That and my long underwear.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Deals can be had on MTD based machines for sure.
Paid 404 dollars for my 24 inch 208 cc, Aggressive tires, quick turn chute electric start..brand new in box.. starts first pull..hasn't got cold enough to need the electric start feature

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,891 Posts
Had a minute or 2 to waste at Menards yesterday. I took a quick peek at the cheap(?) $599 Yard Machines. Not impressed at all by them. I will keep the old girls, thank you very much...:wink2:
That must of been the 26" 208cc model. https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/outdoor-power-equipment/snow-blowers/yard-machines-reg-26-208cc-two-stage-electric-start-gas-snow-blower/31as63ef706/p-1444441250676.htm

IMHO it's still way better than a shovel and with some care it will likely serve it's owner well. If someone just takes it out year after year without adjustments, maintenance or attention to what they are doing like running over/into stuff then it's going to be junk pretty quickly. A lot depends on what the owner wants, can afford and how they take care of it. Personally I'd rather spend less and get a used Toro or Ariens but that's just me.
Unlike the newer stuff I pity the person who might run into my one of my 10,000 series Ariens or the Craftsman (Noma) as they are more likely to take off a fender with only a little paint missing rather than a totaled bucket on the new stuff.
Unfortunately thinner metal and more and more plastic are just a fact of life on the new stuff. :sad2:

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
For $533, ($599 minus the 11% rebate) this machine would be a very good value for the right people. Lots of people want to bring home a new machine rather than risk getting stuck with somebody else's neglected problem child. That and lots of people do not have the mechanical skills to repair stuff.

Sure, it's cheesy compared to more expensive machines and lacks a few features, but if the buyer's snowblowing needs aren't very severe, then this is a very good choice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts