Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this mower for free back in March. When I got it, it wouldn’t start and the front wheels acted like there was some friction going forward and just skidded pulling it backward. I was able to take carb off and clean it out good enough to start. Has a Briggs 550EX engine. I took the cover off the front belt and wheel assembly. Didn‘t really see anything binding so I WD40‘d every place the axle seemed to pass through another part. Wheels freed up pretty good. Fast forward to today. I sold my good mower to a work friend. Had to mow the back yard so i thought I’d pull this out and give it a try. See if it’s ready for a new home. It cut ok, not super. Biggest problem, it ran like garbage. Seems like the idle is slow or something is sluggish. It’s possible the gas that it came with was no good so it might just need ran all the way out. Pulled plug and it actually looks fair. Even tried mowing for just a little bit with no air filter, thought maybe it was too clogged. Didn‘t really change much. I do not have an RPM tester. Any ideas what else to look into? Would idle fine then sputter a touch then back to good idle, but also just sounded weak overall. I'm not too familiar with these engines. Maybe they are just a low RPM engine. Just looking for something I can do, something I should check that I may have overlooked?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pretty much did what the video did. Not my first rodeo cleaning carb. It runs but doesn’t sound as strong as the one in the video. Only thing I didn’t do was flush old gas completely out of the tank. I ran it for a while on hat was in there then added more fresh with stabilizer later. The drive system works. pull the lever the front wheels turn. Must be the WD40 lubed whatever was causing friction before. Could roll easier probably but way better than it was for sure.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
If that uses a plastic carburetor, there's a large white thing inside the carburetor you pull out to clean.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ve not had good luck getting them clean enough in the past, always seem to end up buying a new one. This time I actually got cleaner to spray all the way through it. Put it back together and it runs. I just think it could be better. I may end up trying to drain all the gas completely out and replace with some I just got.

I just picked up a Craftsman with the exact same engine tonight. A freebie. Pull it, it runs for half a second before stopping. Has a pretty good shake to it. I’m hoping it’s just a carb cleaning and good to go. Hope previous owner didn‘t bend the shaft. If I can get that one clean and running I’ll be able to compare the 2 running.

I‘m versed enough to know that sometimes you can bend the linkage where the spring connects, and that will give you more or less RPM’s depending. Can’t remember if this has a place I can do that to or not being it has a plastic carb.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts